Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Coronavirus related conversation (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin

We had our first coronavirus death in the U.S. last night in Washington state. That's only the beginning. We're all gonna die!!!

We're at risk in crowded, indoor places. People with jobs such as cashiers and healthcare workers come in direct contact with a large number of people every day, which must be bad enough, considering the quality of people in the world, but now they're at risk of catching a deadly virus from them. And if cashiers catch it, they'll no doubt spread it to other customers while the virus is incubating and before any symptoms appear. And a lot of cashiers probably can't afford to take time off of work, so they'll go to work even if they have symptoms.

This might be a good time to try grocery delivery. King Soopers has free grocery shipping for orders over $35 dollars. There's a chance that somebody with the coronavirus could have sneezed on your groceries, but the risk of catching it is probably quite small as long as you wash your hands before you stick your grimy little fingers in your mouth.

This has been a public service announcement. :)

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
This might be a good time to try grocery delivery. King Soopers has free grocery shipping for orders over $35 dollars. There's a chance that somebody with the coronavirus could have sneezed on your groceries, but the risk of catching it is probably quite small as long as you wash your hands before you stick your grimy little fingers in your mouth.

This has been a public service announcement. :)

You mean deliveries like this:

corona.jpg

Tirralirra

“...
All things to end are made,
The plague full swift goes by;
I am sick, I must die.
Lord, have mercy on us!
...”

A Litany in Time of Plague - Thomas Nashe

Sam

General
Patron
Do you know how many people die of the flu every single year? Fifty thousand, on average, every year without fail.

The coronavirus has not even killed five thousand.

Do you worry about the flu killing everyone? No, you don't, but looking at the above figures you probably should. Why don't you? Because every news station, newspaper, and radio isn't constantly talking about the deadly flu. If they were, you wouldn't leave the house.

The coronavirus is an example of conversion disorder, also known as mass hysteria, and I guarantee you in three months' time no one will be talking about it. It'll have died and we'll never hear of it again. Just the same as swine flu, avian bird flu, and the Ebola Zaire scare of a few years back.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
'Corona' is the secret weapon of mass destruction.

Seriously, there has been so many cases reported where my daughter lives in France she has asked us to cancel our visit.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
More people died in the tornado in Nashville today than have died from COVID19, thus far in the US (Is it a serious illness, yes, but it has thankfully proven less lethal than Influenza A and B. It is the new It Virus. Those at greatest risk are the very young, the elderly, the immuno-compromised, and those with weakened respitory systems. The same groups at highest risk for nearly all infections.)...(And influenza strains are all members of the corona virus family).

And sadly, there are people here, (in the US) that think the virus can be spread by drinking Corona brand beer...(The company has suffered their worst earnings quarter ever.)

Last edited:

escorial

WF Veterans
I stood and listened to 3 street preachers screaming you do believe...just don't know it...an not once did they bring up the virus....earlier I was in Paddy's wigwam to admire the building and not one mention of it all...one always expects the religious to jump on the bandwagon..

Foxee

Patron
Patron
one always expects the religious to jump on the bandwagon..
Interesting. What would lead to that expectation? How are you defining 'the religious'? That seems like quite a hazy lumping together of people and expecting the same thing of all of them.

Ma'am

I'm no expert but from what I've gathered, coronavirus has barely gotten started in the US yet but much more is expected/feared to come. And it supposedly spreads much easier than the flu and also has a far higher mortality rate than flu.

However, with contradictory sources, it's hard to know what's accurate and what's not and also quite possible that we just don't have the full picture yet.

For example, does the mortality rate mean overall or only from those ill enough to be hospitalized when perhaps most weren't? And can we trust the data we get from all of the other countries?

Like everyone, I hope it's going to be more bark than bite and just drift away...

Biro

Alcohol sanitiser hand gels are being sold out everywhere for people to wash their hands as a protection. People are even making their own hand wash gel with 'how to' videos springing up on Youtube.

I am ok and possibly immune because if alcohol kills Coronavirus. I aim to drink even more.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
According to the CDC malaria kills up to 445,000 people worldwide each year. Nearly half the world's population is at endemic risk of exposure from the ubiquitious mosquito. Another 20,000 died from staph infections in 2017 in the US, and staph is an endemic bacteria found in the human mouth.

Pandemics occur, history makes that abundantly clear, but the numbers of deadly COVID19 worldwide, do not reflect those of other pandemics like Spanish Flu, Small Pox, Polio, Tuberculosis, and encephalitis lethargica just from the 20th century alone. Look at the numbers of deaths from ebola and it will help put things in perspective. 3,296 cases in 2019, of those 2,196 were fatal. That is a 67 % mortality rate.

I guess I'm of the view point that commonsense things like good hygiene, proper handwashing, and staying away from other when you are ill will go a long way toward reducing already, seemingly slender odds of contracting the virus.

And looking into the definition of pandemic, it merely means the spread of a disease over a large geographic area (a whole county, continent, or the world). It has nothing to do with mortality rates, but given the context in which people have come to understand the word, (e.g. Spanish Flu, Bubonic Plague), death is a consequence that is inferred. And it is the inference of death that is often the trigger to ensuing panic.

Just some thoughts.

- D.

Last edited:

Biro

According to the CDC malaria kills up to 445,000 people worldwide each year. Nearly half the world's population is at endemic risk of exposure from the ubiquitious mosquito. Another 20,000 died from staph infections in 2017 in the US, and staph is an endemic bacteria found in the human mouth.

Pandemics occur, history makes that abundantly clear, but the numbers of deadly COVID19 worldwide, do not reflect those of other pandemics like Spanish Flu, Small Pox, Polio, Tuberculosis, and encephalitis lethargica just from the 20th century alone. Look at the numbers of deaths from ebola and it will help put things in perspective. 3,296 cases in 2019, of those 2,196 were fatal. That is a 67 % mortality rate.

I guess I'm of the view point that commonsense things like good hygiene, proper handwashing, and staying away from other when you are ill will go a long way toward reducing already, seemingly slender odds of contracting the virus.

Just some thoughts.

- D.
Well you make valid points but in this case there are a few issues which do not make sense.

Most of the figures come from China where the virus started. It's not really in their interest to tell the world this stuff is really bad and very contagious killing thousands. In fact it would be better to say that....'Nah it's nothing to worry about'.

If it was just a case of a simple flu type of thing, then why would they have gone to all the measures they did? For example building emergency hospitals for thousands in just a couple of weeks? Isolating complete areas? Sterilising bank notes and all the other stuff in the news? If it just a little nothing thing that only harms a tiny percentage of people who are old and sick. Then why all the drastic measures?

Then you have the other Governments around the world going into overdrive over something which is just a little sniffle.

A bit more to this I think. Thing is when Governments tell you something it may be best to look for what they aren't telling you.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
To be fair a sneeze can be only what it takes to contaminate money and can infect a person. People who pass away from corona spread it easily but it is not making sense how. It spreads more easily but not much more than influenza once did I think based on history that one 3rd of the world population had it once(more at the link) (a vaccine was invented for influenza which they even gave me and everyone has them as required for schools I assume and that is why we are safer). People can be careless such as when they have influenza, corona, or when they have a cold to wash their hands. In addition, they have to take a bath to hope they don't get infected because of a low immune system defenses. With some education a lot of disaster scenarios can be avoided with the coronavirus. Exercise will also help prevent it. The diabetic population supposedly is especially vulnerble but not without hope. International efforts and the news helps just as hospitals to prevent contamination and spreading of the sickness.

I'd admit not sanitizing money would be a terrible way to get it. Make sure to take lots of vitamin C and lemon juice, or citrus daily. Use hand liquid soaps. Don't say hello with your hands or shake hands. Read how to sanitize money if it is a worry. Obviously no hugs, kisses (avoid contact with the hands). People who get it show no symptoms for days. It is transmitted by minute teardrops. For example after a sneeze, and also make sure to cover your mouth with your arm when you sneeze.

How does a vaccine work? They give you a dead or nearly dead virus and your body creates antibodies for it. You are immune after that. This one mutates, but I don't know how that affects the situation such as finding a cure for it. A mutation could in some diseases create immunity to a vaccine.

Last edited:

escorial

WF Veterans
Experience from a young age with religious people...all want you to think like them...and pay for them but never question them...what ever disaster looms they use it as a PR stunt... maybe there changing tack as I've noticed a god squad standing around offering free booklets and only engage when people ask or the door to door sales rep who offer you damnation and salvation...best quote I've heard is politicians have failed so why not give religion a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread