Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Copyright Question (1 Viewer)

LostCause

I don't know where to put this question but since it applies to a musical I intend to work on I figured this would be best.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me, how extensive are copyright rules?

I'm thinking about righting a Robin Hood musical and my main source of knowledge is the 91 Kevin Costner film but I'm looking at plot summaries for other films and reading the original folk stories. In the folk stories Maid Marian isn't even mentioned and there are some aspects of films that aren't in other films.

If I used elements that are only in one telling (ex. Morgan Freeman's character in the 91 film) is that copyright infringement?

- Dan

mammamaia

I was wondering if anyone could tell me, how extensive are copyright rules?

see for yourself:
www.copyright.gov [us]

www.bl.uk [uk]

I'm thinking about righting a Robin Hood musical and my main source of knowledge is the 91 Kevin Costner film

why?...

but I'm looking at plot summaries for other films and reading the original folk stories. In the folk stories Maid Marian isn't even mentioned and there are some aspects of films that aren't in other films.

have you gone back to the errol flynn/olivia de haviland version, and beyond?... the first major one was doug fairbanks' of 1922, but others go back as far as 1912... btw, alfred, lord tennyson's 1870s play did include maid marion even in the title, but she appeared much earlier, around 1500, in alexander barclay's tales...

If I used elements that are only in one telling (ex. Morgan Freeman's character in the 91 film) is that copyright infringement?

definitely, if you are including that specific character [azeem] and he does not appear in any other telling of the tales...