Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

(CONTENT WARNING - SWEARING) Things that irritate but, perhaps, shouldn't (1 Viewer)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
My current pet hate is the recent change at a local corner shop. I might go in there to buy several items, only to have them trying to foist additional items onto me at the checkout. So far my response has been "No thanks," but what I really feel like saying is, "Fuck off. Do you think I haven't got a mind of my own and can decide for myself what I fucking want?"

Alternatively, I might gather up all the items they're offering and exaggeratedly ask them for a quotation, whilst grabbing other items off the shelves and asking for quotations for them too. Imagine John Cleese in full flow.

If it persists, I may well stop going in there; there are plenty of other corner shops.

If I haven't made it clear, it really fucking pisses me off.

When something feels that way, it can be a sign that something from my distant past is about to break the surface - a something that will help me make sense of a feeling that I know is irrational in its intensity.

druid12000

Having worked in retail, I have been in the position of the employee who is told by their manager that they need to 'upsell' at checkout. It was always awkward for me because I am NOT a salesperson and have gone to great lengths to allow folks to enjoy their shopping experience without me hovering like a gnat.

I had one manager who was cool and it became a running joke with us. He would see a customer roaming in the furniture department, I would simply say 'Yes, I have already bothered them'. We were a good team :tongue2:

I do agree that when I'm feeling something intensely irrational like that, it's usually a reaction to something I haven't dealt with that is trying to come to the surface.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
[h=2]Things that irritate but, perhaps, shouldn't[/h]

People who wear masks as chin straps.

One of our neighbours cats using our raised veg garden as a litter tray. Every night it comes into the garden just to take a poop ... I know because I watch his comings and goings on the security cameras :) I don't mind cats I just get a little peeved at putting my hand in cat's poop :(

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
People who wear masks as chin straps.

One of our neighbours cats using our raised veg garden as a litter tray. Every night it comes into the garden just to take a poop ... I know because I watch his comings and goings on the security cameras :) I don't mind cats I just get a little peeved at putting my hand in cat's poop :(

And the damnable thing is the cat poop isn't even "worth a shit" as fertilizer. Ask them to get a dog!

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Having worked in retail, I have been in the position of the employee who is told by their manager that they need to 'upsell' at checkout. It was always awkward for me because I am NOT a salesperson and have gone to great lengths to allow folks to enjoy their shopping experience without me hovering like a gnat.

I wonder if the manager realises how short sighted an upsell policy can be. They might sell more of the items at the checkout, but they could lose sales overall due to customers going elsewhere to avoid the upselling. It feels like something that has been imported from the USA. Anyway, I finally opened my mouth yesterday when I went back in there and they tried to upsell something to me that had high sugar content (I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and my first step, before meds, is to control it by diet). I asked the guy, in front of the manager, if he would like to buy some arsenic from me. I had a very blunt conversation with the manager too. No, I wasn't rude or sweary but said that I no longer found shopping there enjoyable due to the regular upselling. It's not really a UK thing, but has slowly crept in at some places.

Last edited:
Reactions: PiP

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I wonder if the manager realises how short sighted an upsell policy can be. They might sell more of the items at the checkout, but they could lose sales overall due to customers going elsewhere to avoid the upselling. It feels like something that has been imported from the USA. Anyway, I finally opened my mouth yesterday when I went back in there and they tried to upsell something to me that had high sugar content (I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and my first step, before meds, is to control it by diet). I asked the guy, in front of the manager, if he would like to buy some arsenic from me. I had a very blunt conversation with the manager too. No, I wasn't rude or sweary but said that I no longer found shopping there enjoyable due to the regular upselling. It's not really a UK thing, but has slowly crept in at some places.

I can't recall a time I've ever had a clerk in a store try to sell me something extra. We might expect that from a salesman in a furniture store or a car dealership, but you wouldn't commonly see it in a grocery store ... possibly certain areas of a department store (perfume or jewelry or such). Over here, upselling would typical apply to vanity or big ticket products, not anything off the shelf. I've never seen it in a hardware store, either.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
One thing that used to annoy me when we visited the uk was at the checkout at the big supermarket chains and payment by credit card: Do you want cash back? Foolishly I accepted once, only to find you start paying interest immediately. Which we found particularly annoying as we always settle our credit card bill when re receive the monthly notification. A lesson learned.

One day I was so fed up I actually told the checkout cashier if I wanted cash, I'd go to the hole in the wall and draw direct from my bank account.

The other annoying thing about uk supermarkets or indeed any pharmacy is being interrogated about medical history in front of a queue of people before buying over the counter medication.

The most stupid involved interrogation regarding Halls lozenges throat sweets. The assistant wanted to know what other medications I was taking and demanded the information in such a condescending manner...i became worzel gummage ....I was feeling particulary mischievious that day and asked her if she was a qualified medic, and then told the young kid I was buying the Halls lozenges to commit suicide... okay... it was a joke in poor taste... but her face ... if there was a panic button under the counter, I would probably have been removed by security... the people behind me sniggered... afterwards I felt bad, because she was only doing her job in a politically correct world of lawyer ambulance chasers.

i come from a generation where people still had a sense of humour...

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
One thing that used to annoy me when we visited the uk was at the checkout at the big supermarket chains and payment by credit card: Do you want cash back? Foolishly I accepted once, only to find you start paying interest immediately. Which we found particularly annoying as we always settle our credit card bill when re receive the monthly notification. A lesson learned.

One day I was so fed up I actually told the checkout cashier if I wanted cash, I'd go to the hole in the wall and draw direct from my bank account.

The other annoying thing about uk supermarkets or indeed any pharmacy is being interrogated about medical history in front of a queue of people before buying over the counter medication. The most stupid involved interrogation regarding Halls lozenges throat sweets and she wanted to know what other medications I was taking in a condescending manner...I was feeling particulary mischievious that day that day and asked her if she was a qualified medic, and then told the young kid I was buying the Halls lozenges to commit suicide... okay... it was a joke in poor taste... but her face ... if there was a panic button under the counter, I would probably have been removed by security... the people behind me sniggered... afterwards I felt bad, because she was only doing her job in a politically correct world of lawyer ambulance chasers.

i come from a generation where people still had a sense of humour...

It's not uncommon for me to tell someone "No". Then they come up with this ridiculous reply "You have to. It's the rules."

Then I explain, "Those are YOUR rules. I have my own, and they don't include doing what you requested I do."

I'm not unreasonable, but I have a low (meaning zero) tolerance for stupid shit. Of course, if it's a law, I typically can't go there. But if it's just store policy I disagree with, they don't stand a chance of pushing it on me.

Reactions: PiP

druid12000

I can't recall a time I've ever had a clerk in a store try to sell me something extra. We might expect that from a salesman in a furniture store or a car dealership, but you wouldn't commonly see it in a grocery store ... possibly certain areas of a department store (perfume or jewelry or such). Over here, upselling would typical apply to vanity or big ticket products, not anything off the shelf. I've never seen it in a hardware store, either.

I don't see it much anymore either, and never at a grocery store.

I read a story about a guy who asked a young Target employee if he could open a camera to check it out. The employee looked him dead in the eye and said 'You could literally murder someone in front of me and I wouldn't care'.

Ah, the joy of youth :icon_cheesygrin:

River Rose

I will just do a all in-composing of life. Where should I start also where should I stop. I am done on this planet. Done on this go around they brought me back on w/o my permission may I add. I am not suppose to be here. I will kick,,scream,,fuss also fight my way through. Cuz I do not know any other resources. Thank you for the vent. Not that this little mamma fells any better,,,yet it is something on this planet they landed me upon.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I will just do a all in-composing of life. Where should I start also where should I stop. I am done on this planet. Done on this go around they brought me back on w/o my permission may I add. I am not suppose to be here. I will kick,,scream,,fuss also fight my way through. Cuz I do not know any other resources. Thank you for the vent. Not that this little mamma fells any better,,,yet it is something on this planet they landed me upon.

I've often thought Homo Sapiens must have originated somewhere else. Like somewhere with a 26 hour day (for two hours more sleep), fewer disease carrying insects, and a star that doesn't try to kill you. If we weren't tool makers, we'd never cut it here.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
NEXT ITEM...

Websites written so that their page colour encroaches on my scrollbar.
Yes, the imbeciles actually do this. Although it isn't always an issue, sometimes it's impossible to pick out that bit I click on, from the bar in the background, because the colours are too similar. In an age where website design is suppoosed to cater better for people with disabilities, I wonder how a poorly sighted person would cope. My own eyesight is reasonable if wearing specs, and I can struggle with it.
Yes, I know it's possible to scroll with cursor keys. I also know that many now scroll with their fingers, but the general idea is to allow as many options as possible.
So, to those page writers who do this I say, "Piss off and keep to your area. Your page ends where my scrollbar starts. Didn't mummy and daddy teach you anything about boundaries? Remember what happened when Hitler invaded Poland!"

druid12000

This is perhaps off topic, but in a similar vein: To the mobile game designers who insist on using colors which are impossible for a fiftyish year old to read, I say a loud and resounding 'Bite Me!.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
This is perhaps off topic, but in a similar vein: To the mobile game designers who insist on using colors which are impossible for a fiftyish year old to read, I say a loud and resounding 'Bite Me!.

Which colors would that be? Or maybe it can be this one? One of my favorites...not to give my age away or anything like that.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Which colors would that be?Or maybe it can be this one? One of my favorites...not to give my age away or anything like that.

On my white background, I could only read two of those four colours with any degree of comfort.
What's that you say - there are six colours?

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I used to hate it when people ask me if I work at the bookshop. 'No, I am rearranging book displays and wearing a name tag for aesthetical gain!' But then I started listening to Karen encounters of customers mistaken for staff on Youtube and it made me think. Ya' know that one stupid question prevents so many potential Karen moments. These people are just doing their due diligence, can't fault them for making sure, even if it is annoying.