Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

consumers views versus writers views (1 Viewer)

kunox

I got an interesting question to ask about game or media logic versus consumer of said medias logic. It is not a writing question so I put it here. I had someone helping me with making a bit of lore for a game world for dnd 5e. I made a feat where you can consume the soul of an animal and get an ability in exchange. his first reaction was to make it about the flesh instead of the consuming a soul. I told him that the lore as already is would have to be changed for that. he then suggested that we then make anyone that didn't have a good moral alignment able to us this ability.. after that I let it slide... I got a question though. do you think there is a difference in general between a medias portrayal and how the general audience takes it up. I am asking if anyone seems to have a disconnect between the way they see things and view their art versus the way most people view.

It seems like i have that problem every now and then. not always. there seems to be to kinds of people when it comes to the stuff I show them.. the ones that love it to death and the people that try to make m works comport to reality as they see it. the reason |I brought up the consming of animal souls example is just one of those things. I mean what is the difference between consuming an animals soul out and consuming it's body but you have no proof that's exist. so I write allthat to ask whether a piece of media in itself warped by a public perception or a private perception more.

P.s. sorry I feel like I am just babbling but I want to ask a particular question and I am not sure how to fraze it. it is about perception. the only other example I can come up with was I gm'ed a game of fate core where all the players where up against a god and didn't know what to do. but the god in question was already cursed and vchainedin place.. they were thinking super literally..

Last edited:

kunox

one more and maybe this will get the point across. I know this is a writing example and i want to talk about psychology but here it goes. I was making a mish mash of cultures in a book I am currently writing. he pointed out that said cultures would never meet and thus my book world wouldn't be. I pointed out that it was fiction and I was making a new culture completely... I guess I am trying to ask what is the difference between those two types of thinking.. not necessarily about writing but about art in general.. and the person minds in general...

kunox

last thing on this but I just thought of the question.. what is the part of the brain that is responsible for suspension of disbelief. also what is the difference between the people that can't get that mario can through fireballs and that is okay.. and the person that literally should be entertained y keys dangling in their face. mainly because the supposedly can "shut off their brain to enjoy entertainment.. lol..

P.s. I hate to ask in such direct terms... I will not post anymore till people answer... I am more interested in psychology here.

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Hmmm. Kunox old chum, What you are doing is opening a debate that would take experts decades to work through, and even then there would be several different points of view.

Roughly, generally. Most people do what they think is the best. For themselves, family and the wider society. There are some who have a more self centred attitude.

How this is portrayed in literature, drama and now in games is a massive subject. How commercial pressures affect this is something to think about.

I doubt there is an end to speculating about this. It is a useful part of a good story for any writer.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I recommend you read some how-to-books on english. I mentioned some of these when I wrote the critique for your story. If you have some difficulty reading definitely consider some books besides the ones I recommended. I am learning from a book called language power. Learning some ESL writing skills might be appropriate for someone with special needs. Also consider a book scanner with OCR if you manage to get money. I spent about 3 hours today reading a book and I took some notes with a microphone (I dictated my summary in a word processor).

As for the thread I agreed with Bazz Cargo. I was thinking we are not very qualified to answer those questions and this seems to be more the domain or specialized knowledge that a neurologist would know of and could explain.

kunox

I recommend you read some how-to-books on english. I mentioned some of these when I wrote the critique for your story. If you have some difficulty reading definitely consider some books besides the ones I recommended. I am learning from a book called language power. Learning some ESL writing skills might be appropriate for someone with special needs. Also consider a book scanner with OCR if you manage to get money. I spent about 3 hours today reading a book and I took some notes with a microphone (I dictated my summary in a word processor).

As for the thread I agreed with Bazz Cargo. I was thinking we are not very qualified to answer those questions and this seems to be more the domain or specialized knowledge that a neurologist would know of and could explain.
I will be purchasing a book on grammar soon...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Let me know which it is in case you need help in thinking of which book is the right one for your needs. My books arrive around May the 7th. I could give you an opinion. What I like about language power is that it is very thorough for ESL writers. There is a free trial for available for kindle for that book. All you need is a Kindle account, and you can access the book for 7 days. That's the main reason I bought a physical copy. I liked the book so much I bought it. That was after the free trial.

https://www.amazon.com/Language-Pow...s=language+power+ferris&qid=1619497616&sr=8-1

I am no expert but as an ESL language learner it makes sense for me at least to have bought it. Take 3-4 hours a day to learn the material (that way you can read the book in a month, and that is the recommended amount for a college student for every course). Eventually you will need some technology and there are free trials for the two products I mentioned in the critique I gave you. I hope you use the free trial to determine if it is for you.

The whole point of the free trial is to know if you need it. Not many books offer that option. It's extremely rare for Amazon books to have a free trial to read the whole book.

When I pick up the other books I will tell you what I think of them.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Also, remember to exercise in the morning as this will boost your mood to study (schizoaffective disorder). I have a kindle fire and if you have one it makes exercise easy. That's because if you are very bored you can read the lyrics as the song plays. That's my favorite feature of spotify which is free to use. The sound quality isn't as good as an ipod but it does the job. You can read all the song's lyrics which is really relaxing. Exercise doesn't become a chore. I have used an exercise bicycle for 5 days consecutively as of this wriitng looking at lyrics of old songs. I enjoy written poetic turns of phrase as lyrics. I own a kindle with the biggest screen available that isn't an oasis. If you have one take advantage of it. Or use an android cellphone. As the song plays and advances you can see the lyrics scrolling until it reaches the end of the song. This advice I am giving even though I own an ipod. I prefer kindle fire on spotify more than an ipod. That's because of the big screen that allows me to select songs and the aforementioned lyrics of the song.

kunox

I have't read your second post.... but I was thinking about temporarily getting an amazon prime subscription so I can look through some of these books maybe due to kindle unlimited.... plus there are some shows I want to watch... but only for one month... just to get a taste of each... then I may save amazon cards to get a couple of the books you suggested.. I got a lot competing for my $40 I use for entertainment.. so prioritising is key... I got a lot more than $40 but I have a payee and that is for the best wih the way my mental illness is.. ty though...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I would wait until I get all 3 books before you decide to make a purchasing decision (to make sure you can make a good purchase). I will then give reasons why I like a certain book and you can then think if that is what you want. You can then decide. I've got 2 books that are on their way, and I am still waiting for the other book to be reported as arrived and received. I predict 4-7 days from now I will have the most important ones at the post office.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
The books should be here by next Wednesday. That is good news. Prime includes Amazon music. If you have a kindle or smart tv it could help motivate you. Especially if the lyrics display ( for exercise, I exercised the whole week this way). My aunt's wedding is tommorow. So now I am sure tomorrow I won't be able to concentrate. Either way, to "kill"boredom I will be reading books on psychology since motivation is something Maslow came up with. I think I need to have the kindle edition of that esl book. I predict I will have to study it slowly. It's a tricky act. I try to exercise every morning. I get sleepy in the afternoon. This gets in the way. Studying can be tricky if my parents don't respect my time. Yesterday I had to go with my mother to change my shoe size to 11 and 1\2. All because of the wedding plans. There is no stopping them in this pandemic. I hope there are almost no visitors from both sides. My mom said it's just the church ceremony but I am skeptical since my aunt insists way too much. She was very keen on celebrating it.

Kindle books can also be expensive if college textbooks. But might be worth it for someone with dyslexia since you can summarize the book. I haven't had the chance to see inside the book other than the preview on Amazon and what it says it promises.

This book is long out of print but it supposedly tells you how to observe.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/dp/B001...olid=113D8L0X2I7RN&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I still have to evaluate the books but I will try to know if I need the above book or not.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Ok so since I visiting someone who is feeling ill it may take one to two days until I pick up the books. These arrived in the post office today. But I am away from home, and I am visiting this family member of mine that lives 2 hours away.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Ok so I picked up the books from the postal office today. It seems it would not be a good idea to buy these books for some specific reasons I will mention. I hoped I bought books that would help me describe, but now I regret my purchases (but I can still use them). College readers (what I bought) though are good just in case you break a grammar rule repeatedly and need to study a grammar rule. It's not easy to learn from these books. I will encourage or recommend you to pick word q speech q because every writer can miss mistakes when they don't read out loud their work. I did find an interesting book. What I consider interesting is that I can relate to the title of the book. It's written for people that can't describe. I can describe something, but it takes a lot of my time and effort to make sure it works for the reader. That and sometimes I am not sure of what I am doing (I let readers determine that). It is pretty normal for a writer who wants to self-censor because of their inner critic. The book on description costs exactly 40 dollars on Amazon. It might be cheaper elsewhere online. Descriptive prose is needed for stories (description) to immerse a reader into a story. A text to speech reader is needed for people with dyslexia to write coherently. That is you make fewer mistakes if you know how to describe and to read your work out loud. The problem is it gets tiring to read our work out loud. It must be the best voice possible. It must sound human. I do not recommend any text to speech programs that do not sound human.

How to Write What You Want To Say ... About Visual Images: A Guide for Those Who Know What They Want to Say but Can’t Find the Word (IMO the title says it all, and it can be used to describe pictures, videos, etc. It only has 76 pages, but it's the content that is important)​

Link to google store preview. Table of contents.

This is listed on Amazon's website, where it is currently up for sale.

I checked the Apple store just now. It costs 14 dollars. Amazon's price is much more expensive.

I spent more than 40 dollars on the 3 books I mentioned. If a writer ever mentions some grammar rules I break I will look it up and try to learn these. If you need a good grammar book I will hesitate to recommend one for the time being. That's because I think there are more knowledgeable people who know more about grammar.

However, the exercises of Diana Hacker's book are very good but not everything she explains has an exercise.

But for someone such as yourself you will need lots of practice and that is all I suggest besides the above advice. You need good writing habits. Someone needs to point out the mistakes. Write short works and people will most likely want to give their opinions. BTW, I identified the font used on this website. It was created by Microsoft for people who have dyslexia. I will use that font to read my works from now on. I suggest you give that a try.

Good luck Kunox and I hope my advice does make sense financially and logically. I have many of the same language issues you have. Sure, it might be to a different degree or spectrum. Continue to write taking in mind this advice if it makes logical sense and is realistic to implement. Try to apply it. If you don't try then you will never know if you have what it takes to write.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread