Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Considering Huge Changes To My Novel [Ignore This] (1 Viewer)

TheMightyAz

Mentor
First of all, when I say huge changes, I mean a different version of Yarrod. There are many. This particular version was set to appear briefly in the closing scenes of the story but I might actually start with it instead. I don't need to change much in terms of the plot points so far but it does mean a completely different approach to the story telling and world, one of the reasons I'm considering the change.

The problem I'm faced with is I've chosen an alternative to 'earth' and so have to consider the story in relation to actual 'earth' to some extent. If I use this new version of Yarrod, I can forget all about that problem. He's still going to be looping and he's still going to have memory loss. His objective will also be the same and he will still be pursued by a storm. One of the other reasons I wanted to change things is because he had a gun, and I was slowly realising a lot of the encounters he'll meet along the way, particularly against monsters, would be too impersonal at a distance with a gun. I wanted him to get in close. A bullet hole just doesn't seem as interesting as a severed head!

Yarrod changes his appearance too but luckily I'd already got his description for later in the story. He's now got long, red hair, braided and wrapped around his throat like a necklace. He's got a cruciate scar on his forehead, cut there by himself to remind him of suffering. He no longer has a gun he has a sword called Moonglist. Stitch is the same and his horse is still Brimstone.

Here's why I'm mentioning this though: I had a plot line laid out for Fiddlesticks and this breaks it. He was going to go down into The Throat to reclaim a sword he'd stolen from Aryngroth. That sword is a vampire sword called Moonglist. It only obeys the owner of the first blood it tastes. Every time you go into battle with it, you have to slice it across your palm. Fiddlesticks was going to lose a hand because of this scene, cut off by a bandit using Moonflist. Of course, what the bandit doesn't know is it obeys the owner of the first blood it draws ... Later, Fiddlesticks was going to get a cool metal hand built by blacksmiths in Gildrinia, made of Gildrin steel.

I either manipulate this plot line to allow all of that to still take place or completely change it. I could have Fiddlesticks getting it for Yarrod and let the scenes play out as planned. He has a knife and so a bow seems an obvious choice for his secondary weapon. I'm so unsure about this right now. What do you think? Should I do this?

Llyralen

I'm glad you're going with the character changes. It sounds hard to do, but better in the end.
A bow would be great, imo.
I bet all these things will start to sink into place as your brain keeps thinking of the details.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I'm glad you're going with the character changes. It sounds hard to do, but better in the end.
A bow would be great, imo.
I bet all these things will start to sink into place as your brain keeps thinking of the details.
I don't know though. I've been sitting here thinking this through and there are so many ramifications I'd not spotted when I posted this thread. I'd fashioned quite a few scenes around the fact he had a gun and now I think of them without a gun, they don't work or have the weight I wanted.

Llyralen

I don't know though. I've been sitting here thinking this through and there are so many ramifications I'd not spotted when I posted this thread. I'd fashioned quite a few scenes around the fact he had a gun and now I think of them without a gun, they don't work or have the weight I wanted.
Maybe write the ramifications out in outline form and then compare. Only you can see the ramifications. See which one goes further and/or seems more compelling to you. I should take my own advice on that on a few things. A lot becomes clearer when you write it out.
Here's a few questions of mine to start you out:
1. How does the weapon change change Yarrod's personality.....
I've got some guesses. From rough rider/cowboy-mage (does he do magic?) to a bit more cavellier/Cyrano de Bergerac or Aragorn? Aragorn/Strider still kind of works.
2. What scenes work better for which one?
3. How does it change the character arcs and overall plot?

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'd fashioned quite a few scenes around the fact he had a gun and now I think of them without a gun, they don't work or have the weight I wanted.

Keep the gun, but take away its magical qualities (or don't) and make ammunition hard to come by.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Keep the gun, but take away its magical qualities (or don't) and make ammunition hard to come by.
I've changed my mind. I hadn't realised just how many scenes I'd written in my head and how many other things lead off from those scenes. I have to make this work the way I intended. I may have only written a little but I've got at least 100 pages drafted in my head.