Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Compellingly Bad Writing (2 Viewers)

Dabnorfish

Have you ever felt compelled to read a book for the wrong reasons? I recently I started reading one of the 'Left Behind' books. So terribly written and full of intolerance...

BlackWolf

Hell yeah. I read a romance novel once. It was awful.

I read a Left Behind book, too. It was awful. Blatantly ridiculous, no understanding of anything. Twit. Entertaining in all the wrong ways.

enron1982

I actually read 3 of the left behind books and they seemed to get worse. THe moral of them is great i suppose though. Despite the lack of good writing, i thought the story was actually fairly good, and i read through them pretty fast. after the third book though, the characters became quite ridiculous and a little too sentimental. then again, they also became born again, so i guess that's how they were supposed to become. The root of the story was decent i guess, but the bad/way too simple writing made me put them down.

ClancyBoy

I liked when Russia nuked Israel because it had become valuable and they wanted to take it over.

The books are just hilariously awful.

Edit:
Oh yeah. Israel became super rich by shifting to an agricultural economy.

I liked when Russia nuked Israel because it had become valuable and they wanted to take it over.

The books are just hilariously awful.

Edit:
Oh yeah. Israel became super rich by shifting to an agricultural economy.

Hang on it was valuble, so they did the one thing that meant no one could go there for about a hundred years.

How did this shit get published.

Raging_Hopeful

Cuz Clancy is one clever mo-fo :-D

And yes, the Left Behind books are CRAP. I read the first one because the concept was intriguing.. but way to butcher a great idea. Kinda like the "Children of Men" movie.

Kest

Don't know what you mean by wrong reasons but if curiosity of what will happen next in the story or the thought of some character in that book resembling my own self is that, then I have read really badly-written books a number of times, most of them belonging to romance genre.

wmd

Even as a Christian I dont like the Left Behind books... poorly written and way too preachy.

BlackWolf

I'll add my vote to that. Children of Men was a good idea, but you'd think with a cast like that they'd be able to hire some decent writers.

T

Tomokato

What are the wrong reasons? I read bad books all the time. Then I make my friends share my pain, as I review them, MST3K style. :wink:

Raging_Hopeful

Omg, I'm so glad everyone agrees about Children of Men! Bwahahaha! :)
Let's unify around an idea of hatred. That's always fun. And yes, I'm pretty sure the writing was actually produced by a sequence robot, rather than a live person.

SFeigley

Ok since nobody else has beat me to it... my new favorite worst writer ever is Nickolaus Pacione. Seriously... most compelling bad writing I've seen.

p.s. Children of Men quite possibly was the worst execution of a compelling premise that I have ever seen. I stand in unity with you RH.

Raging_Hopeful

SFeigley, glad I have your support and I think you articulated the disappointment well! Oh, and I would have to second you on Pacione... good grief!

Julianne

Ditto on Nick Pacione. I tried to get more than a couple of paragraphs into some of the stuff he has posted on AuthorsDen and couldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread