Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Commercial Time (1 Viewer)

Diego

How long is a commercial on a 1 hour show usually? I want to know so I can factor it into my screenplay.

Kimba

In Australia, no commerical should be more than 30 seconds. If you're asking about the commercial break, that would depend on the station that airs your program. Generally speaking, however, the total commercial time is about 15 minutes for a 1 hour show.

Diego

Yes, I meant commercial break...On average, how many commercial breaks would you say air during a program?

Kimba

That would be almost impossible to tell because it's up to the station airing the program to decide the number of commercials they want to air. You would be better off writing a script that would allow a 15 min commercial leeway and let the station decide where the commercials would slot in. My guess would be that the bigger the leeway within the script and greater the number of commercials that will need to be shown to make up for absent screen-time.

Last edited:
E

evillatenighttv

On MTV, and the other music channels it owns, at least three 5min breaks per 30min show. It's insane.

Adult Swim will run an anime with one 3-4min break in the middle, then 3 mintues before the next show. Fifteen minute shows have no breaks.

It sometimes even depends on the show, it seems the more popular the show the more breaks it has. Usually a one hour show should have a script of at least 45-50mins, the script will alays have rewrites and removals. If that is why you are asking.

And all of this is in North America, so I am in no way speaking for all television.

~Evil