Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Commemorating Cathy (1 Viewer)

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
Commemorating Cathy

Cathy lived to love
and loved to live,
and despite potholes,
pitfalls and impediments
that the majority of us
can’t possibly perceive,
she maintained those standards
with a ferocity that belied
her slight stature.

She was born with boxing gloves on,
and from her first breath
to her final exhalation,
she was a prize fighter
knocking out every obstacle
that got in her way,
as well as any injustice
that darkened the day.

Her bonds with her Mom,
Abuela, and baby Haylee
were lovingly forged of titanium,
and never mind her shirt, she’d have ripped
the very flesh from her back
were any of them in need.

Always oblivious to her own woes,
she’d lighten the loads of others
wherever she’d go.
Whether neighbors, nor other patients,
she built bridges between people
who without her efforts,
wouldn’t have given each other
the time of day.

Those in the inner circle
of her “select few” knew
they had not a friend in need
but a true friend, indeed,
and woe be to any back stabbing Judas
who dared infiltrate their domain
where house music reigned
and comments on bestsellers
could be gained.
Cathy had no qualms about quelling
the acts of evil-doers
who tried to feign
some modicum of fake respectability.
So keen was her eye,
she could spot phony a mile away.

She never had it easy,
but never did a complaint
slip from her lips, nor did she ever
hand out invitations to a self-pity party,
she rather taught by example
that goodness and light
are always your allies
in any fight.

Faced with the ultimate adversity,
her faith never once wavered,
she let go and let God
and He, ever faithful Himself,
blessed her with the courage,
strength, and grace
not only to endure, but to rise above
and suffuse us all
in positivity and love
thereby allowing her to be a testament
as to how secure we are
once we fully relinquish our reins
to our true Father.

Unselfish until her final moment,
she offered to share with us
the path she’d clawed out of granite
with her bare hands,
those beautiful, dainty hands
that somehow had still the strength of an earthmover
until the very end.
How honored we were to hold
those delicate digits

in hopes of a squeeze, which she,
being Cathy, of course, appeased.

She beckoned the lot of us,
and held on until she was able to see us all,
and through those conversations
she proved without a doubt
that the Lord uses mortal tongues to reach us.
A living angel awaiting her wings,
her words drove deep, and she knew things about us
that were so sequestered
we’d hidden them even from ourselves.

She liberated imprisoned hearts,
and opened minds plagued by rusty locks
born of misconception and stubborn pride,
and in doing so,
paved the way for better days.
It was her wish
that we love and care for each other
and permanently lay to rest all negativity.
In her last days, she moved mountains
that couldn’t be budged for decades,
and inspired us to be better people.
Such is her legacy,
and fools we may have been,
but fools we are no more
gratis of her guidance,

so honor her legacy, we will.

We’ve inherited her road,
where the sun is never masked
by storm clouds,
where the air is scented by trumpet lilies,
and where the leaves, when kissed by the breeze,
sing serene symphonies to soothe the soul.
This is the byway Cathy lovingly cultivated
and kindly gifted to us,
and it is our duty not only to protect it,
but to populate it
with as many of the downtrodden as we can
for it leads to light.

We will ever love you, and you will be deeply missed, Cat,
but we’ll do our best
to fight despair as you instructed,
and being you,
you made sure we were prepared
by leaving a bit of your abundant beauty behind
within each of us.
No one can ever take your love from us,
nor ours from you,
we’ve been blessed beyond measure
at having the privilege of being your family.
Joyous are we that you are finally free
from the suffering born of flesh,
and we gratefully accept and respect
the Lord’s decision to summon you home.

Time is a but mortal measurement
that does not apply in paradise,
in no more than a blink of your eye,
we will be reunited,
until then, be at peace, our sweet Cathy,
and since we’re certain you’re seated
at the most divine of tables
please feast until you’ve had your fill.
We vow to do you proud
no matter how steep our hills,
for we haven’t a doubt
you watch over us still.

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
My most heartfelt thanks, Sir Peter, truly. My appreciation cannot be expressed through the paltry words we have at our disposal. A little background information. Cathy was the victim of gross negligence during her birth, and thanks to oxygen deprivation that could’ve been avoided, she wound up with cerebral palsy. When I say she didn’t have it easy, I meant it. There were surgeries and hospital stays long before she contracted cancer. And again, she never complained, in the hospital for six weeks at a time and never a complaint, She was good, an exceptional person, no matter what was wrong with her, she didn’t care, all she cared about was the rest of us. At the end, she had absolutely no fear. She knew where she was going, and she was happy to go. I wish this for every person who reads this post. To be so comfortable and sure when their time comes. She gave us peace, hope, and the purest love you can possibly imagine. Her death is not in vain, she reached my children, which I have been trying to do for many years but wasn’t able to. I wanted her so badly to stay so we could hang out together, but that was not to be. What she did in her last days was nothing less than miraculous. Soon enough, we will be reunited and there will be joy.

My undying gratitude, Peter, I know you truly mean what you said, and I very much appreciate your giving me the ability to discuss our Cat.

Hugs,
Lisa

rcallaci

Staff member
Administrator
my sincerest condolences- may she fly with the angels and sing in there chorus ...a fitting and heartfelt poem for one who was loved...A prize fighter for God..

warmest
bob

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Sorry for your loss, I have to keep reminding myself, despite all the insanity going on in the world at the moment, that good people do exist, and losing one is heartbreaking.

((hugs))

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
In this life, if we are blessed, we meet someone who changes us, who defines who we are and who we hope to become... that person shows us by example, not mere words... these are rare people, a gift, absolutely...Cathy sounds like that kind of gift...

This must have been so hard to write, makes her passing seem so final... But through your words, I can see her beautiful reflection, thank you for having the courage to write this and to share her memory...

In your poem you said " we've inherited her road".... what a beautiful legacy she gave you....

* Hugs,** my friend.... put on her boxing gloves...

apple

WF Veterans
Lisa, that is the most beautiful piece of ANYTHING I've ever read. It touched me to my core. How wonderful that you had her in your life,, but how very special and wonderful that Cathy had YOU. I'm so sorry for your loss, Lisa. God bless you and your family.

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
My condolences, Chesters Daughter. It must be a difficult time for you.

Thank you so much, Darren, it is a very difficult time, and while I usually compartmentalize the unsavory and move ahead, I’m having a very hard time with this for many reasons. The circumstances surrounding Cat’s passing are complicated and I’ve opted to elaborate later in this post.

my sincerest condolences- may she fly with the angels and sing in there chorus ...a fitting and heartfelt poem for one who was loved...A prize fighter for God..

warmest
bob

“A prize fighter for God” is absolutely perfect, I know Cat is smiling right now, blessings be upon ye, Santa Bob, and thank ye heartily.

Sorry for your loss, I have to keep reminding myself, despite all the insanity going on in the world at the moment, that good people do exist, and losing one is heartbreaking.

((hugs))

You hit the nail right on the head, Tony, Cathy was a breath of fresh air in a suffocating world of savagery. Thankfully, she left us all with our own personal respirators so that we would be able to find solace even in her absence. Thank you so much for your kind words.

In this life, if we are blessed, we meet someone who changes us, who defines who we are and who we hope to become... that person shows us by example, not mere words... these are rare people, a gift, absolutely...Cathy sounds like that kind of gift...

This must have been so hard to write, makes her passing seem so final... But through your words, I can see her beautiful reflection, thank you for having the courage to write this and to share her memory...

In your poem you said " we've inherited her road".... what a beautiful legacy she gave you....

* Hugs,** my friend.... put on her boxing gloves...

Your wish is my command, just as she left us the road, she left us the gloves. On they go. You always jackhammer through the stone walls I hide behind and touch my heart with your goodness. You and Cat are cut from the same cloth, my dear friend, thank you for making this easier.

Disclaimer: Ramble alert

No matter how hard the wind blows, I bend but never break. Over the years, I’ve weathered some category 4 storms and you guys know about them because I wrote about them to purge. As I related earlier, this situation is far more complicated than meets the eye. I am weary and brittle, and fear that the next big blow might see me crumble and be blown away like so much dust. Cathy was the fifth close family member to be taken by renal cell carcinoma. She hospiced at home for three months, and her mom, who is a nurse, was caring for her. During that time her mom was diagnosed with kidney cancer, also, but had surgery to remove it and is currently in remission. The bloodline is plagued by a very rare genetic disorder called Hereditary Leiomyomatosis. It’s so rare, it did not even have a name until 2004. It causes tumors comprised of muscle and nerve cells, which are extremely painful, and predisposes sufferers to both kidney and uterine cancers. My husband has the tumors, as does my two eldest sons. My oldest boy, is polluted with them. Thus far, both my daughter and youngest son have been spared. Cathy’s passing at such an early age has opened the eyes of everyone regarding the necessity for regular scans. She was adamant that everyone be diligent in receiving regular examinations. Cat is a gift who just keeps on giving. One cannot help but wonder who will be next, and I know that sounds so pessimistic, oh goodness, I can feel Cat’s glare from above so I’ll switch tracks. No matter what happens, we will fight together, we have those gloves, don’t we?

I just want to thank everyone for helping us celebrate my niece, and for the awesome support. My WF family has always rallied behind me in the past, and will ever do so in the future, of this I’m certain. I am home when I am here, and what a warm, safe and welcoming home it is thanks to all the great folks who congregate here. “God bless us, everyone!” with thanks to Tiny Tim and Mr. Dickens. Grief is no excuse for stealing a line sans proper citation. Oh crap, I’m crying, and you all know I don’t do that, I’ll shut up, now.

Huge hugs,
Lisa

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
Lisa, that is the most beautiful piece of ANYTHING I've ever read. It touched me to my core. How wonderful that you had her in your life,, but how very special and wonderful that Cathy had YOU. I'm so sorry for your loss, Lisa. God bless you and your family.

I’m so sorry, honey, you posted as I was writing my ramble. Oh, Sondra, you know what a fan I am of your expertise and talent, and how much your opinion means to me, so I can’t thank you enough. I don’t know if having me was always a positive thing, but she told me how much she loved me at the end, and I never realized how much until then. I’m very sad I was so blind. Toward the end when even the painkillers didn’t work, I would hold her hand and stroke her brow and speak to her of the ocean caressing the shore and the song of the leaves in the breeze and when I thought she fell asleep and I’d go quiet. One time, she said to me, “Aunt Lisa, please keep saying the pretty words, they make me feel better.” I consider the ability to make her feel a little better for even a few seconds as one of my greatest accomplishments. Her mom asked me to read this piece at the church memorial service, which had to take place via Zoom thanks to COVID. I’ve never read anything I wrote out loud in front of folks so it was daunting. Everyone who spoke said exactly the same things I said in this poem. It was a fine tribute comprised of beautiful truths. Lotta love through the airwaves, but I digress, per usual. I thank you, dearest Sondra, with all my heart. Many hugs and blessings for you, my love.

apple

WF Veterans
Don't you dare deny it, but you are a sweet, sweet girl who has been through too much fear and heartache. Brittle and tired, I'm sure, but consider our love for you here and how our arms will always be a cradle to rock you if you let us.

Chesters Daughter

WF Veterans
Don't you dare deny it, but you are a sweet, sweet girl who has been through too much fear and heartache. Brittle and tired, I'm sure, but consider our love for you here and how our arms will always be a cradle to rock you if you let us.

Good Lord, Sondra, that has to be the kindest most generous offer I’ve ever received. You guys have rebuilt me from bones countless times in the past, and without a doubt saved my life and sanity in doing so. I consider myself blessed to have you guys, you are just as much my family as my family and I love you. I don’t throw those words around ever, so please know the depth of their worth. I put off posting the poem for a week, what a dummy I am because you all have pulled me out of the gloom and doom that was threatening to consume me. I could sit here and type a 40,000 paragraph ramble and it would never ever suffice to relate the depth of my gratitude to you all. Group hug! And *shudder* puppies, kittens, rainbows, fields of flowers, the giggle of children, and a song bird serenade to everyone! Oh, I wrote something nice for a change, not a single bloody weapon was added despite an almost insatiable compulsion. Gee, I’m feeling more like me, Cat is raining blessings upon the lot of you right about now. Hugs...

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
You give your strength to others so often that I think you never recognise the support that you are in times of trouble. If we, the WF family, have helped in the smallest way to pull you through this most awful time, consider it small fry compared to the natural impulse that you have to help and support everyone who crosses your path. Your neice sounds like an angel and, though some of your family genes may be a burden to carry, you obviously have a generous helping of angel dust too. You will come through this strengthened by the love and wisdom that Cat gifted. What a lovely family you are.