Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

coming home at Christmas (1 Viewer)

dannyboy

Friends of WF
Years take us away, childhood
brings us back;
December mid-morning,
sun threatens to explode overhead,
walking up the winding road
to a house that was never my home
but is now theirs
I see the old man mowing –
the years I could gather
like seed
if I counted the times
I have seen the old man mowing
and on the porch old mum
waves a tea towel,
I have seen an ocean of tea towels waving,
all colours,
all fashions paraded through the ages.

Between the old man
and the old mum,
in the shimmering tar beneath the sun
I see shadow spaces, seven in all,
where once children ran and pushed, shouted and
cried at an injustice then laughed at a joke.

Where are all we now, broken
like rocks under the fury,
and yet
brought home by currents, sand
washed up
every Christmas at their shore.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Years take us away, childhood
brings us back;
December mid-morning,
sun threatens to explode overhead,
walking up the winding road
to a house that was never my home
but is now theirs
I see the old man mowing –
the years I could gather
like seed
if I counted the times
I have seen the old man mowing
and on the porch old mum
waves a tea towel,
I have seen an ocean of tea towels waving,
all colours,
all fashions paraded through the ages.

Between the old man
and the old mum,
in the shimmering tar beneath the sun
I see shadow spaces, seven in all,
where once children ran and pushed, shouted and
cried at an injustice then laughed at a joke.

Where are all we now, broken
like rocks under the fury,
and yet
brought home by currents, sand
washed up
every Christmas at their shore.

I found this poem rather sad... more than love or memories.... it seems that the strong tug of OBLIGATION is the force that brings the writer back home... if that is true... well... THAT is a sad situation all together...

One nit to pick, if I may.... first line..
" Years takes us away, childhood
brings us back"

you cannot go back in time.... but your MEMORIES can take you there... back to your childhood..

"Years takes us away, memories
brings us back"..... jmo... ;)

anyway, this is a lovely melancholy read, thank you for sharing...

dannyboy

Friends of WF
Hi Firemajic,

not bring back in time, but bring back in place - its the childhood experience that draws the adult back to the home.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Hi Firemajic,

not bring back in time, but bring back in place - its the childhood experience that draws the adult back to the home.

AHHhh.... I see.... I understand and this makes the poem compelling...
Last stanza has a vibe that makes me feel that coming home is not joyful, but an obligation to the past...

apple

WF Veterans
You must know by now that i am much more than a fan of your work. Long time ago I could offer little critiques and nits here and there but nowadays I find critiquing almost impossible. Critiquing anyone actually. Danny your poems over all these years still resonate in me. Emotional and ttrue as if you have an unconscious "knowing" and that really permeates your poetry. I remember your Pinocchio poems (roots, bark, earth) and even before that some about a father, his son and broken bones. I feel redundant with all my fangirl praise. I appreciate the tender handling of your painting.

dannyboy

Friends of WF
apple, your support has been brilliant for me over all these years, thank you again and for it all, it's important we feel people"get" what we write, even if its a handful, it's enough for us writers to continue to hone.

dannyboy

Friends of WF
firemajic, there is sadness, but sadness at the world, the homecoming (like sitting on a beach) is how we recharge.