Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Collaborators Unite! May Picture Challenge (1 Viewer)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Welcome to all potential collaborators
As promised, here is the prompt for the May Collaborator Challenge!

You and your partner will for this month pull
whatever inspiration you like from this photo:

Clock and Gauges Prompt Pic.jpg
Photo © 2004Tom Kirsch, opacity.us

The Plan

• Two writers write a 1,000 word story together.
  • Let the photo inspire something really interesting!
  • Let's bring it in for a landing and discussion by the end of May 2021.

The Steps

1. Grab a collaboration partner. You may already have someone in mind so it's time to send them a fruit basket, brisk PM, or cruise tickets and start begging.
Otherwise, post in this thread asking for a partner.

2. Partners collaborate via PM.

3. Post finished work in the Fiction Workshop (secure) or the Fiction Showcase (not first rights protected) and tag the title [Collab]. You may receive some crits especially in the workshop which is a good thing. We can discuss the stories in their threads, too.

4. Link the story back to this thread so that our new group of collaborators can find it.

5. For this round we can discuss how this went, if it's popular maybe the next time we can popular-vote. Let's see how this goes first.

One Rule: Y'all collaborators have to remain friends.

Who's in?

Foxee

Patron
Patron
It's a busy time on WF! Poets are in the final lap of their month-long marathon and WF is about to up sticks and move to a new platform. Because WF will be down for the move for 3-4 days the beginning of May, Collaborators may want to get a jump on the month and find partners and ideas.

Please check out the prompt and post here if you're thinking of participating!

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
what is steampunk, you ask?

well, wikipedia introduces like this:
"
Steampunk is a retrofuturistic subgenre of science fiction that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.[1][2][3] Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre,[4] steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the Victorian era or the American "Wild West", where steam power remains in mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power.

Steampunk most recognizably features anachronistic technologies or retrofuturistic inventions as people in the 19th century might have envisioned them — distinguishing it from Neo-Victorianism[5] — and is likewise rooted in the era's perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art.[6] Such technologies may include fictional machines like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne.[7] Other examples of steampunk contain alternative-history-style presentations of such technology as steam cannons, lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine.[8][9]

Steampunk may also incorporate additional elements from the genres of fantasy, horror, historical fiction, alternate history, or other branches of speculative fiction, making it often a hybrid genre.[10] The first known appearance of the term steampunk was in 1987, though it now retroactively refers to many works of fiction created as far back as the 1950s or earlier[11] A popular subgenre is Japanese steampunk, consisting of steampunk-themed manga and anime,[12] with steampunk elements having appeared in mainstream manga since the 1940s.[13]

Steampunk also refers to any of the artistic styles, clothing fashions, or subcultures that have developed from the aesthetics of steampunk fiction, Victorian-era fiction, art nouveau design, and films from the mid-20th century.[14] Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.[15]
"
my bold/italics, not theirs.

clocks and gauges?
post-it note(s)?
;)

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
It's a busy time on WF! Poets are in the final lap of their month-long marathon and WF is about to up sticks and move to a new platform. Because WF will be down for the move for 3-4 days the beginning of May, Collaborators may want to get a jump on the month and find partners and ideas.

Please check out the prompt and post here if you're thinking of participating!

I promised I would :)
But oh my, this is a challenge upon a challenge for me. Because (I'm really sorry to say this but it's the truth) Steampunk is so NOT my thing hahahaha. And fiction is what I never write. But we'll have a lot of fun, I'm sure.
I hope my partner can bring some ideas (Jenthepen, help!!!)

Foxee

Patron
Patron

But oh my, this is a challenge upon a challenge for me. Because (I'm really sorry to say this but it's the truth) Steampunk is so NOT my thing hahahaha. And fiction is what I never write. But we'll have a lot of fun, I'm sure.
I promise, you don't have to use the 'steampunk' idea. Anything that you want to pull from the clocks and gauges is fair play! I'm delighted to have you along on the challenge, Darren, and I have full confidence that you'll be just fine. Especially with Jenthepen as a partner, just have fun with it. :)

Gofa

Friends of WF
Well there was the first time And then that other time
and the time we said we would never do that again
and the time we decided to put all the clocks on the wall
lest we forget

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Darren, we have an enormous advantage here - we both know absolutely nothing about Steampunk - that does away with any boundaries, right? Let's just do our own thing here and see what happens. It might not be great but, if we can produce something between us, it will be our triumph. You have been working so hard with the new-look Writing Forums so, if you like, I'll try to come up with some sort of storyline and also write the first bit. Then you can twist it, change it or discard it until we agree how to proceed. OK?

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
<<< Opens his time capsule to look up steam punk.
I just looked up steam punk on wikipedia. That could really get the imagination going. Imagine finding a way to get a coal engine burning to power Apollo 11 to the moon without oxygen to keep the fire going.
I recall a long-running cartoon series that had household gadgets powered by caveman technology - The Flintstones. The record player and vacuum cleaner spring to mind.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Gofa and I are in. We will collab.
Wonderful! I like the directions of thought so far and it's great to see teams coming together!

Remember it doesn't HAVE to be steampunk though that would be fabulous (and the picture inspired me that direction, too). ANY inspiration that a team takes from the picture is fair game.

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
apologies
retroactively
for introducing concept

neither REQUISITE
nor PREFERRED

it were just
fer
tah
git
creatives
ponderingful...
stares at SUPPLIED image
;)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
apologies
retroactively
for introducing concept

neither REQUISITE
nor PREFERRED

it were just
fer
tah
git
creatives
ponderingful...
stares at SUPPLIED image
;)
No apologies needed or, indeed, allowed! I appreciated your post about steampunk and the picture puts me in mind of steampunk. So I am really hoping to get at least one steampunky story out of it!

We are sailing our own pirate ship here in the Collaborators thread! And it may be a steam-powered one for a while.

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Darren, we have an enormous advantage here - we both know absolutely nothing about Steampunk - that does away with any boundaries, right? Let's just do our own thing here and see what happens. It might not be great but, if we can produce something between us, it will be our triumph. You have been working so hard with the new-look Writing Forums so, if you like, I'll try to come up with some sort of storyline and also write the first bit. Then you can twist it, change it or discard it until we agree how to proceed. OK?
Thank you @jenthepen , and sorry for the late reply. The stress around the migration and the end of NaPo got to me :)
Yes, please, if you can come up with a start? Then I'll join in.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Thank you @jenthepen , and sorry for the late reply. The stress around the migration and the end of NaPo got to me :)
Yes, please, if you can come up with a start? Then I'll join in.
No worries, Darren. I knew you were really busy and wasn't expecting a reply even yet. You must be exhausted. I've been working on a few ideas that might play to our strengths. I'll be in touch soon. 🤔