Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Collaborator's Prompts for Oct.-December 2021 (1 Viewer)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Hello, again, Collaborators!
^^clicky for mood music whilst you read!^^
It's time to thoughtfully present those fruit baskets to someone you'd like to write with
or just straight up blackmail them, whatever works.

A little change that may help everyone:
I'm going to try listing prompts that will cover the next three months to end off 2021.
The exciting prompts list will be right up but first! ...let's have some guidelines.
Your team's game plan:
  1. Working together via PM, blend unique prompt-based ideas up into a great story unique to your partnership.
  2. 1,050 words maximum
  3. Post finished work in the Fiction Workshop (secure) or the Fiction Showcase (not first rights protected) and tag the title [Collab]
  4. Link the story back to this thread so that our whole collaborator crew can find it!
  5. Deadline: End of the month of your chosen prompt. So if you choose the October prompt then your team's deadline is October 31st.
  6. Naturally, follow all WF site rules and guidelines for posting.
Two Rules:
  1. Y'all collaborators have to remain friends
  2. No ghosting your partner...we don't want any haunting here. But seriously, let your partner know if you're stepping away, okay? okay.

Now for the Prompts
As I never claimed that this is anything but a benevolent dictatorship, I've chosen three ideas.
Thank you to all who contributed!

(October) It Happened One Night

(November) A Season for Lions

(December) Yo-Ho-Ho, Yuletide Space Pirates

Thanks in advance for participating! This thread (and this challenge) is now open for your use and enjoyment. I hope to hear from teams as they get together and as their work progresses.
Get ready, get set, go!
🏴‍☠️

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
People, you seriously need to try this out. For anyone who didn't pay attention this summer, these challenges led PiP and I to collaborate on a Rom Com novel. We're at about the halfway point on it now, and cruising along to inevitable completion. Without Foxee's challenges, this Sci-Fi/Fantasy writer would have NEVER believed he could contribute to a Rom Com. And I don't think PiP was harboring a lot of native confidence in novel length fiction.

Yet it's a lot of fun, and since neither one of us has to be responsible for entertaining on every page, there's a LOT of good stuff going on the pages. I've discovered a new genre I can write, and PiP now knows she's a fiction talent. :)

By the end (and already, really), I believe PiP and I will have good advice for what makes a harmonious and successful collaboration.

So dive in. The water's fine! :)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
When Foxee first promoted the collab challenge I put my name forward… to advertise for a collab challenge partner for the Lucky for me Jim replied and the rest is history.

so come on folk… advertise you are looking for a collab partner below.. I can tell you two heads are most definitely better than one.

Last edited:

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
When Foxee first promoted the collab challenge I put my name forward… to advertise for a collab challenge partner for the Lucky for me Jim replied and the rest is history.

so come on folk… advertise you are looking for a collab partner below.. I can tell you two heads are most definitely better than one.
Can you give some pointers on how to even begin? How did you get started?

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Can you give some pointers on how to even begin? How did you get started?
Finding a partner, or starting a story?

If finding a partner, post here for someone to offer to join you. If no one does soon, go all Sadie Hawkins and run one down. :)
I recommend @JBF. I believe your styles would mesh quite well. And I wish to point out, after reading your work, I'd be happy to partner with you if PiP and I weren't hip deep in the novel. Whoever partners with you will be lucky.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Finding a partner, or starting a story?

If finding a partner, post here for someone to offer to join you. If no one does soon, go all Sadie Hawkins and run one down. :)
I recommend @JBF. I believe your styles would mesh quite well. And I wish to point out, after reading your work, I'd be happy to partner with you if PiP and I weren't hip deep in the novel. Whoever partners with you will be lucky.
Oh my goodness, what a lovely compliment and thank you much! I do have a partner, Tuesday Eve, and I was actually asking about how to start writing the story. Did you and PIP write separately at first and then combine your work? I'm so over the moon impressed with your plans actually resulting in something much bigger. Really encouraging and wonderful! But I have never done any collaborating before and am not sure how it all works. Thanks for any help, vranger - you and PIP are such a great inspiration! :)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Oh my goodness, what a lovely compliment and thank you much! I do have a partner, Tuesday Eve, and I was actually asking about how to start writing the story. Did you and PIP write separately at first and then combine your work? I'm so over the moon impressed with your plans actually resulting in something much bigger. Really encouraging and wonderful! But I have never done any collaborating before and am not sure how it all works. Thanks for any help, vranger - you and PIP are such a great inspiration! :)
In both of the challenges, we decided on the general bones of the story and then alternated writing. That was a more direct process in Hagglin' Over the Price, since they were exchanging emails. I don't have difficulty pacing my stories for LM, but in alternating for a collaboration, Pip and I found we needed some real self-control, or we'd threaten the word limit with a lot of story left to tell. We did not successfully exercise that self-control on the Summertime challenge. LOL What would have been 1050 words for the challenge is now four chapters in the novel! (14,700 words and counting, since that 4th chapter is in process ... probably another 3000+ words ... 20% of the novel).

This may not be the process other teams worked by, but we alternate chapters or scenes, after discussing what story element a scene needs to provide ... except for the dialogue scene we wrote interactively last week. I recommend laying out the story first and deciding on the scenes, then you'll know how many words each scene must be limited to ... or if it's just one scene for the work ... it will still have elements within the scene.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I have a writing friend in Canada who started writing with me after we'd been part of some various RPG-by-text (roleplay gaming) communities.

We used chats (like for a long time we used Yahoo Messenger and now we have a Discord channel just for the two of us) so that we could talk about what had already happened and what developments that could lead to. We used Google Docs so that we could have access to the same document. I wouldn't suggest this unless you have a good degree of trust with the other person as there may be more swapping of information than you'd like to do with a stranger...but if you feel comfortable with this you could do it.

We have never reached the level of professionalism that Vranger and PiP have, unfortunately. While we enjoyed collabing and talked about publication we never managed to get to the editing stage. We also burned out eventually and though we're probably both willing to write together again we haven't done so for quite a while. I think my partner wanted the greater variety of writers with the RPG games and has gone back to those. And there is also the time crunch of life and trying to get our own separate writing done.

In any case, this challenge can be a one-time partnership or turn into something bigger, that is completely up to the teams themselves. I'm excited when I see the stories, so far every single one has been interesting and worth reading. :)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I really think you'd be a natural for this. I can tell you it is GOOD experience.
I also don't do good experiences.

Forgot to mention that one.

I would consider throwing my tinfoil hat in, except there's two things I don't do:

• associate with others, and
  • write

I mean, other than that I'd be all for it. :p
Just Keep Swimming Ellen Degeneres GIF by Disney/Pixar's Finding Dory

I think he's trying to say no ... LoL

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I would consider throwing my tinfoil hat in, except there's two things I don't do:

• associate with others, and
  • write

I mean, other than that I'd be all for it. :p
👽👽👽
The aliens know you've been writing. I'm sure you look fetching in your tinfoil hat.

If you're not into good experiences I am happy to announce that it's even easier to arrange a perfectly horrible experience! Collaboration has it all.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
If you're not into good experiences I am happy to announce that it's even easier to arrange a perfectly horrible experience! Collaboration has it all.
Wow! I'd have loved to have you on my HS Forensic Debate Team, Foxee! Shaking my head in awe and wonder ...

I believe you have now trapped the poor bas ... I mean the poor sonofa ... I mean the poor gentlem ... I mean @JBF. Hoist by his own petard ... so to speak. o_O

(ETA: BTW, since this IS a writing site, I'd like to point out the 'perfectly' targeted use of adverb. :) )

Last edited: