Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Collaborators' July Challenge: "Summertime" (1 Viewer)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Men would rather get lost than ask for directions lol. My hubby will never ask for directions or turn around. It will now cost us well over 100 euros in a pollution charge because we drove through the centre of Lyon in a diesel car. I told him to turn off but no, he listened to the satnav.
Next time, I recommend he remind the gendarme that American and British troops landed at Normandy, and otherwise he'd be shining some Polizist shoes!

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Next time, I recommend he remind the gendarme that American and British troops landed at Normandy, and otherwise he'd be shining some Polizist shoes!
All automated now. No arguing with technology and cameras ... pulls sad face

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Foxee, are we too late for this one? I've just connected with Tuesday Eve, but neither of us know how to start or if we need to wait for the next one. Can you just give us a review of how this all works? Thanks!
Sue

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Sounds like a great team, Sue! Glad to hear this.

Okay, at this point the July challenge seems to have turned into the July-August challenge, partly due to the PiP/Vranger team driving a VERY slow car and partly due to my life being more nuts than usual. The KJ Merriweb team has posted already in spite of some interesting setbacks on their part which may have also included explosions.

For how it all works check out the OP.

There probably will not be a new prompt until we set up for September now so if the SueC/Tuesday Eve team would like to take a run at a Summertime story while the clock runs down, I don't have a problem with that. If that's just a little too short of a time frame to get something together then maybe get set to kick out a story in September instead. I do try to get the prompt up prior to the month we're working in just to give some time for teams to form up and get their ducks in a row so take that into account.

Questions?

My involvement will be very sporadic this week because I'll be away from computer/cell access most of the time but I'll try to catch up when I can.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
That sounds like a loophole. I didn't think to specify the year.
PiP gave you a hint in her reply, and you and I had a brief exchange about this in another thread.

PiP and I aren't through with our "Summertime" episode yet, and it's at 2958 words. Trivial to trim that to 1000, right? But, it's a bigger success story than the Challenge. In the midst of irretrievably blowing past the challenge word count, we agreed to novelize it. We were already working off of a sequel to the March "Hagglin' Over the Price" piece, where Julia comes to the USA for a Tucson Tex concert and meets Cal (and the gang) in person, so it made sense to expand that for a RomCom.

I've written a chapter and started on a second, plus roughed the March material and this summer's material into where they will fall as chapters. PiP is on vacation, but is already at work on her first chapter. Of course, she's telling Julia's story while I tell Cal's. Some chapters will be by one or the other of us, and some chapters will have mixed authorship. We have a rough outline with brief chapter by chapter notes, so I don't think we'll write ourselves into a corner anywhere.

Foxee, while we may not have made the Challenge, you should take great pride that your vehicle inspired a novel. We'll always be grateful for that! :)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Foxee, while we may not have made the Challenge, you should take great pride that your vehicle inspired a novel. We'll always be grateful for that! :)
That's a bigger success than I had ever imagined for the challenge. This has magical possibilities and I look forward to reading it! You're a great team. 🥂

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
soooooooooooooooooooooooooo,
i am wondering if providing
a set of dates/prompts
might be helpful for writers
interested in collaborating,
but with limited discretionary time.

perhaps something like:
saturday 10/30 plank and/or jolly roger
wednesday 11/24 crisp and/or comfy
thursday 12/23 past, present, future
thursday 12/30 can you see it?

none of the above are expected to be literal inclusions
or predominant fixed focus.
they are intended only as a common entry point/touch stone
from which to begin a collaborative narrative journey.

wutsayye, ye of the com?
;)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Considering that one of the biggest problems with this challenge is that teams have to get together and often feel like they missed the current prompt-window, I think this is a great idea. (Not to mention your intrepid host is not always on the ball)

SO I think I'll adopt this idea, xXx, thank you! Let me get myself through some craziness here and I'll be happy to put a list of prompts and dates up in a new thread.

Does anyone want to suggest prompts? Do so in this thread today! At this point I'll probably just pick the one for the upcoming challenges in a fairly despotic way but I would like some suggestions if you have them. :)

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Considering that one of the biggest problems with this challenge is that teams have to get together and often feel like they missed the current prompt-window, I think this is a great idea. (Not to mention your intrepid host is not always on the ball)

SO I think I'll adopt this idea, xXx, thank you! Let me get myself through some craziness here and I'll be happy to put a list of prompts and dates up in a new thread.

Does anyone want to suggest prompts? Do so in this thread today! At this point I'll probably just pick the one for the upcoming challenges in a fairly despotic way but I would like some suggestions if you have them. :)
Suggestions:
Leaving home
A Season for Lions
Family
My Land

I have a partner to collaborate with ... Tuesday Eve ... yay!