Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cold Mountain (1 Viewer)

Graff

Ok. I'm reading Cold Mountain as part of the curriculum in Literary Studies. I just want t know if I'm alone on this or not, but has anyone else found this to be the slowest book on the planet? No matter how hard I try, I cannot get into it. If this was just one my of liesure time books, and I wasn't being forced to read it, I would have tossed it a long time ago.

What is all the hype about this book for!? I just don't understand.

daisy

I understand how you feel, but hang in there. Honestly, it took me awhile to get into the pace of the book, but what really struck me in the end was the care with which it was written. The author spent 10 years writing it, and every word is imbued with so much thought. I really enjoyed it by the end.

Graff

I guess I'll give it more of a chance. :) I had no idea Frazier spent ten years writing it. That's pretty crazy!

Nickie

WF Veterans
I have read the book too, and still think it's one of the best I have ever read! OK, it's slow-paced, but does a book have to be all action? This is literature, and so well-written.

Nickie

Graff

I do find it well written, but I mostly read books for entertainment. If it is not entertaining, then I don't want to waste my time reading it. I'm going to continue giving it a good chance, and see if the pace picks up :)

And I have to, since it's for school. ;)