Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Coffeehouse Roundtable (2 Viewers)

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
This is the place for discussions of NaPoWriMo-related topics that are not poems or comments/critiques.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I knew April was National Poetry Month, but I didn't know there was a challenge akin to NaNoWriMo. (Happy, ditsy girl squeal, insert happy dance). I can do fiction, but I breathe poetry.

Gargh

WF Veterans
Hi Darkkin! Anything particular you like to breathe, or is it the whole molecular smorgasbord? :)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I'm a niche bard with a weird affinity for linear narratives and a deplorable lack of apperciation for modern free form poetry. I've read it. I've studied it. I don't get it. I respect it, but I don't get it. Classic poets, and I'm a duck in a puddle, although, I do have to discount Whitman, he's a little trippy.

Gargh

WF Veterans
I started off preferring free verse both to read and to write, but I've spent some time now trying classic forms and can appreciate the freedom of expression a rigid structure can bring. I guess that makes me a... mongrel bard?! Looking forward to another round of high-pressure poetics this year... gulp.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I've never done it before, so I'm wondering if my creative constructs can handle the pressure. Good thing I've been updating my music library, always my primary source of inspiration.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
I've never done it before, so I'm wondering if my creative constructs can handle the pressure. Good thing I've been updating my music library, always my primary source of inspiration.

That's why I was saying Pick One instead of assigning them to day numbers. Also, I don't have 30 yet, so your input would be appreciated.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
So, does anyone have any questions about the prompts? I do. #27. Write a poem that starts at the end, moving backwards.

I take that to mean build it from the bottom up. I don't know that anyone could tell by reading if you did that. Does someone have a different understanding that they could impart?

Ariel

WF Veterans
That was my thinking. Maybe the ending thought is the one it's started with. Then it works backwards from there.

Thaumiel

WF Veterans
I'll agree with what these guys said. Although I'd like to see poems that have a forward and backward narrative added to the prompt list.

Darkkin

WF Veterans
I have way too much nonsense rattling around in my head. Order from the chaos, I have yet to see it, but hope remains. Always themes harkening back to an obscure reference point. I have one, but I tend to loose it. Not a good habit to have with poetry, but the hunt keeps me writing. It will be interesting to see what the rest of this month brings.

Gargh

WF Veterans
Likewise. Some ideas I have demand to be written as prose, and they're fairly well-behaved, but the ones that want to be poems? They stick their tongue out and run.

I find it tough doing this challenge generally, posting stuff I've hardly had time to work on or think about. It feels quite vulnerable in many ways, but liberating in others. I guess it is very similar to NaNoWriMo in that regard.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
I find it tough doing this challenge generally, posting stuff I've hardly had time to work on or think about. It feels quite vulnerable in many ways, but liberating in others. I guess it is very similar to NaNoWriMo in that regard.

Oh my, yes. All of this. I try to be softer on critique with NaPoWriMo pieces because I understand this.

On the one hand, you can't overthink--you don't have time. On the other....my piece today has a cliche I'm not proud of but I don't know if I'll have time to fix it as I'm going to a friend's house to help her upgrade her computer.

Gargh

WF Veterans
10556538_10152636213641103_2108747224201218249_n.jpg
:victorious:

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Well, that piece certainly took on a whole new meaning. It started off as a spoof...:shock: At least I've made peace with that particular issue. There is power in something as simple as a balance ball. Not quite sure where I would be without mine, not sure I really want to know.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
Well, that piece certainly took on a whole new meaning.

The stories I could tell...

Sometimes the muse has her way with you. It just is.

One story: My daughter's bf broke up with her about a week ago. They're teens, but have been together since middle school. This reminded me of my own middle-school bf, who was a real jerk, but a smart jerk (and my jerk) and, at the time, I didn't know a lot of smart people outside my family. He turned 16 and dropped out of school. Since it was a residential school, I never saw him again (I was 14). That's where my absence piece came from. I wasn't going to write about him--ever. I thought I'd closed the book on him. But my daughter's situation brought back his absence and, guess what? it didn't hurt.

Thaumiel

WF Veterans
Well, a lack of internet has given me some catching up to do... I'll post an extra piece a day until I've done so.

Users who are viewing this thread