Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Coffee Break: Who's Up Next On Flashes of Brilliance? (1 Viewer)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Looking for a good read while you put your feet up with a cup of coffee or your favourite beverage?

mug-page-cropped-small.jpg

Check out <'Flashes of Brilliance'> for the latest WF member fiction, poetry and interviews!

Last edited:

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Spring Cleaning by Harper Cole

A magical story by Harper Cole

One fine April morning, Antimony Jackson tripped over the collection of stuffed animals that cluttered her hallway.

‘Bother it,’ she muttered. ‘How did my house get so treacherous? Someone really needs to tidy up.’

As Antimony lived alone, she was forced to conclude that the ‘someone’ in question was going to be her. She began to move the animals into a single corner, but doing so unleashed a cloud of dust, which triggered a quite savage sneezing fit...

Read more <Here>

Last edited:

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Okay, time for a coffee and a good read!

The Power of Love by J-Mag Guthrie
“Look out, Jamie!” my sister shouted, too late for me to avoid slipping on a patch of ice. I managed to keep my balance, but just barely.
“I hate him!” I shouted. No one heard me except Leanne and Beth.
Leanne made a face. “You always say that but whatcha gonna do about it, huh?”
Beth kept walking, but turned her face back to holler, “Who cares!” She sped up, probably so as not to overhear us.
This part of the conversation was ....
Story continues <HERE>

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Snow White Rewrite by Jenthepen (Jennifer Christie Temple)

Are you sitting comfortably?

Once upon a time...

snow-white-jenthepen.jpg[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Snow White had grown tired of living in poverty in a little cottage in the woods with her poor father.
[FONT=&quot]“I will follow my mother,” she told her father one day, “and seek my fortune in the wider world. When I am rich, I’ll get my bank to set up a direct debit and send you an allowance each week.”...

What happens next? Read more <HERE>
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
[FONT=&quot]Next up on Flashes of Brilliance: The Scent of Ginger by Terry Durbin

“She always said this place smells of ginger,” the man in the corner booth said as the waitress set a glass of water-with-lemon on the table in front of him. “That’s why she liked it here so much.”[/FONT]

“I know, hon,” She replied. “You want to see a menu?” She knew he would. She already held it in her hand.
[FONT=&quot]“I always told her she smelled like ginger.” He twisted the little slice of lemon, letting its juice dribble over the floating ice. When he was satisfied that he’d gotten as much ...

Terry's story continues <HERE>

[/FONT]

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Dannyboy - star father to star son

Is the latest wonderful addition to Flashes of Brilliance.

Here is a small teaser:

"Through the freeze of Pluto
and the heat of Mercury,
beyond the breeze of Saturn
and the scream of Mars"

I am sure you'd like to read
ALL OF THIS BEAUTIFUL POEM

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
'LEAVE' a poem by Darren White

hand-LEAVE-Darren-White.jpg

[FONT=&Verdana]Tear this cage away from me,
Take my hand and save me.
I am locked ...[/FONT]
[FONT=&Verdana]
[/FONT]

continues <HERE>

I was moved to tears by this poem... Once you've read the poem, please don't forget to leave a comment.

Reactions: sas

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Ghost Tracks - a story by Moderan (Duane Pesice)

Duane-P-Ghost-tracks.jpg

A few lines from the story on Flashes of Brilliance, just to get you in the mood:

"The muted swish of cymbals hisses from a speaker in the corner of a darkened room. A small red light winks in response, and the wash increases in volume slightly and pans.

The lights of a meter, green, red, yellow, follow the progress of an angular series of chords on an harpsichord distorted with reverb and chorus effects, and the roll of echoing drums..........."

Read all of this great story >> here <<

And don't forget to leave a comment!

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Fade To Black - a poem by Danielstj, with a photo by Ireneintheworld.

I would like to invite you all to read this beautiful, touching poem by danielstj, and admire the photograph by Ireneintheworld

Irene-.jpg

A few lines:
"beyond the sunsets
there is a horizon
beyond the sunsets
where darkness covers"

But go read >> his poem << in its entirety on Flashes of Brilliance
it's worth every second of your time.

• Thanks

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
rcallaci (Bob Callaci) - The End of Forever is Tomorrow

Is the latest wonderful addition to Flashes of Brilliance.

demon-resized.jpg

Good morning everyone (it's morning where I live)

Grab a drink , coffee preferably, and read this beautiful poem. Here are a few lines to get you in the mood:
[FONT=&Verdana]
"The songs of creation shall be sung, not spoken, and will last forever and Eternity-
It arises from the nothingness that the wisest of the wise have called Nirvana-
But those of the ‘Mark’ grown fat from ecclesiastical lies— seek heaven through Rapture [...]"
[FONT=&Verdana]
I am sure you'd like to read
EVERYTHING

Enjoy! :)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
The Flower and the Fire, a story by ArrowInTheBowOfTheLord

Today a really beautiful story has been published on Flashes of Brilliance:

The Flower And The Fire (A Fairy Tale)

sparrow resized.jpg

I would like to invite you all to hop over to FoB, and read the story.
Here are a few lines, to lure you:

[FONT=&Verdana]"ONCE UPON A TIME, there was a sparrow who had fire on each of his wingtips and was very interested in the business of people. One day, he flew over a little field where an old man was reaping. Because he was curious, the bird flew down and asked the man who he was, and what was his business in the field.
[/FONT]

“I am reaping wheat,” said the man, “but who I am is more difficult a question. I am very poor, and very small, but that is better because then I am always looking at the sky [...].”

• Thanks

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
The Myth of Dragon, by Joshybo

Today I am happy to introduce you to a new published story on Flashes of Brilliance,
The Myth of Dragon, by Joshybo
dragon-joshybo.png

I would like to invite you all to read this wonderful story about Sun and Dragon, and to give you a little taste of it, here follow a few lines.

"When Earth was young, Sun sat on his throne atop the mountains. The world lay hot and bright below him, for Sun refused to rest. In the ever-present day, the ground cracked and the shallow rivers boiled. Every creature moaned, suffering his reign—all of them, except for Dragon.
[FONT=&Verdana]Dragon, born of rivers and of streams, snaked his way across the parched...... [...]"

[/FONT]
Read all of the story here:
The Myth of Dragon

Last edited:

dither

WF Veterans
Are you sitting comfortably?

Once upon a time...

View attachment 19320[FONT=&Verdana]
[/FONT]

Snow White had grown tired of living in poverty in a little cottage in the woods with her poor father.
[FONT=&Verdana]“I will follow my mother,” she told her father one day, “and seek my fortune in the wider world. When I am rich, I’ll get my bank to set up a direct debit and send you an allowance each week.”...

What happens next? Read more <HERE>
[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]
[/FONT]

I'm sorry PiP, no offence intended but the thought of Snow White setting up direct debits tickled me. Now that really is ​make believe.

• Haha
Reactions: PiP

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Buddy Bear by LeeC

Today I would like to ask you to read a wonderful poem on Flashes of Brilliance
Grab coffee, or tea, or something else to drink, and join me in reading
BUDDY BEAR
by LeeC

Bear-L.cullens.jpg

Here are a few first lines of the poem,

"With every awakening come nigh on first light,
I sense the breath of a canine presence quite near.
An intent wolflike creature, eagerness bound tight...."

but please hop over to FoB, and read all of this beautiful poem!

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
Quid Pro Quo - by Terry D.

Flashes of Brilliance

proudly presents the story:
Quid Pro Quo
by Terry D,

hospital-1806111_640-217x300.jpg

A story that will surprise you as much as it did me.

A few sentences for you:
“Ya’ll ask him now, you hear me?” Jeanne was near the door, out of my limited field of view. I had no idea who she was talking to.
“Oh, I don’t know…” It was Carla. Carla was one of the day aids. She was as fragile, colorful, and skittish as an exotic bird. “I just don’t know.”
[FONT=&Verdana]“Know my ass,” Jeanne said. “I swapped shifts with your bastard husband to put him on this shift, in this wing, so you’re gonna do this… no two ways about that.” I could see them now; Jeanne dragging Carla by her upper arm like a doll made of gaudy pipe-cleaners. Carla looked terrified. [...]"

Now please go read the whole story!
[/FONT]

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
And here is another wonderful story for you to read:

concert-1748102_640-300x225.jpg

THE PLACE

I will quote a few lines for you, but you should all go read the entire story:

"The Place looks just like I remember, a wide, low, cement block building squatting like a sick white toad between two slumping warehouses. “Why the fuck did you bring me here?”

[FONT=&Verdana]“I made you a promise, bitch.” Travis is grinning. “I always keep my promises.” He pulls the car to the curb and we both get out. “How long since you’ve been here?”
[/FONT]

“Sixteen months.” Actually sixteen months and thirteen days. Six more weeks and I’ll get my eighteen-month medallion. I don’t know why I’m going along with this. Travis means well, but he’s a dumb-ass.
Even from the street"

• Thanks