Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Coffee and Poetry Make the World Go Round-Introducing Myself (2 Viewers)

BabesJJ

I am replying to myself. This is fun. I just realized something important about writing what you know. Which I agree with. The major problem about writing what one knows is MY LIFE DOES NOT HAVE A PLOT! In fact that should be the title of my life. My life does not have a plot. Or an neat ending. So writing about my life needs form. And I realized that my book I am working on now is sort of a revenge and a letter to someone. To many people. And maybe that is why it makes me very under confident about it. Yet reading the first two chapters I can see some merit. Anyway Life doesnt have a plot. Off to the races. LV

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I am replying to myself. This is fun. I just realized something important about writing what you know. Which I agree with. The major problem about writing what one knows is MY LIFE DOES NOT HAVE A PLOT! In fact that should be the title of my life. My life does not have a plot. Or an neat ending. So writing about my life needs form. And I realized that my book I am working on now is sort of a revenge and a letter to someone. To many people. And maybe that is why it makes me very under confident about it. Yet reading the first two chapters I can see some merit. Anyway Life doesnt have a plot. Off to the races. LV

That Ricky Gervais video is a little bit deceiving. I posted it because it was relevant to your post. Writing what you know or writing from your own experience (which I prefer), doesn't really mean write what you yourself have done, it means draw on your own experiences of love, hate, angst, fear, grief, passion etc, and apply that to the characters you create. It will ring true then, and because we've all got different views on the above, it will fell unique.

BabesJJ

I like that actor. And the writer Caroline See I read a long time ago said something to the same effect. I wanted to mention in that Caroline See book I think the paraphrased quote of the man who was sitting in Paris writing boring stuff not writing about what he knew. The quote was DAMN DAMN DAMN THE BITCH IS KILLING ME, not I hate the bitch. anyway we are going out for a minute.

Edited to add my grocery shopping trip to Auchun. So, we needed a new laundry basket. And if you can look closely you can see the dead or dying old laundry basket under the right corner of the window in my photo. Of my cat Thomas who if I go to prison where you can not pet cats he promises to send me a cat fur to pet. Although I am a vegetarian and would never allow that and I doubt they would let me straggle around with a cat furr anyway. And I am not going to prison. I think of my sister who is in prison and that what brought the idea up. So we went to the big grocery shopping center far from our house. And there where 2 kinds of laundry baskets. The cheap basket and the deluxe basket. I thought of many things why we should take the cheap laundry basket. Finally we took the white whicker basket with the lid that will go in the same place. It made me think of my 20s when you get the cheapest basket and dont think of tomorrow. I struggled with paying so much money on a laundry basket although it is white whicker and nice. i thought in my 20s I would never consider such an expensive laundry basket. And in fact it makes me think it is the kind of basket that my son if we die will have to send to charity. It is a death laundry basket. It is my last laundry basket that I will ever buy because it is too nice to need a cheap one again. Maybe I can ask my son to haul around our ashes in the death laundry basket. It is the last laundry basket I may ever buy. And dont get me going about how I copy old ladies grocery carts. I see a flat crate of oranges i must have it. I see a sprig of fresh parsely I must have it. I can't trail around the grocery store copying old French ladies grocery carts with my death laundry basket. And on the way to the grocery store an old Audi rolled back into us and I reached over and pressed on the horn. And my husband didnt are Paris drivers are getting little dings. But right by our side was a cop. And if i hadnt laid on the horn the guy would have really rammed us and one of his lights were out. the guy was lanky and looked like he was from an African country. I didnt mind he rolled into us jsut that he was so out of it it was a long time to do it and my honk stopped a full bump. and the cops sittign right by our side one was french arab and he had died blond hair and i knew he would give that driver pure shit. We talked to the flic throuth the window and we could care less about the bump. And we also saw a large beet truck on its side in a neighborhood. We live near a farming area where they make sugar from sugar beets. Sad some poor truck driver had a very bad day. And I heard a song that I thought was sung by Melody at first if your an old enough american you will remembrer her. She sang light a candle in the wind i think. wrote a great album called small towns. it was called its a heart ache. but it was sang by bonnie tyler same raspy voice. made my think of my ex husband who recently died. oh i foudn a twist for my book the ice fisherman is going to come out. he is not really a fisherman and never has he just needed an excuse to hunt the mermaid.

i love caroline sees comment damn damn damn that bitch is killing me. And this is not in answer to az. he actually inserted the comment when i was talking to myself.

sorry for writing damn damn damn that bitch is killing me

Last edited:

River Rose

Foxee your are fun too. I am from Wisconsin. We are known to take wrong turns in life. i have this friend we are always laughing ah she took a wrong turn in life and now she is living in her exes attic. Anyway, after writing so much about that damn rooster i am tempted to get up one morning follow his straggled overly early crow and just see how he is doing. Sorry for saying damn, It is about 7 hours in the future from Wisconsin to France. It is about 8PM. And the house if warm for a change. I don't have to do my normal scream of "I'm cold". I realized that Louise Voillemin is a writers name or a pen name not a user name here. I feel kind of bad. If I could pick a name now realizing my mistake I remember an old joke. Take the name of one of your first pets. (mine was Babes) and the name of one of the first streets you lived on as a child. (JJ) so maybe if I could change my user name I would go as Babes JJ. Although it is to late now. Good night for now. God bless.

Hi there. Nice to meet you. Where in Wisconsin are u located? I am from the Frozen Tundra as well. Born and raised and still here. I live in Hartford Wisconsin. So nice to meet someone from Wisco here!!!!!!!

BabesJJ

I most recently lived in northern Wisconsin although I was born in a small town that I NEVER tell anyone. I live about an hour from Paris in an old farm house right now. I also lived 25 years in the Southwestern USA from 14-39. Anyhoo, i like Wisconsin. Sad to leave it. I know how Wisconsin works for pluses and minuses. And living in France has pluses and minuses as well. Southwest USA plus and minuses also. And I traveled a lot. I visited other places in my youth which was fun. I have only lived in France northern USA and southern USA. Oh and 1 summer on the mediteranean sea sp.

Gofa

Friends of WF
Hi lovely to meet you
to pick upon a statement you made
my life does have a plot and to quote a song I am working on mysteries with out any clues
im sure my plot is convoluted and i only see it if i stand back far enough and am looking back
im pretty sure of the ending too along the lines of fade to black

BabesJJ

Hi lovely to meet you
to pick upon a statement you made
my life does have a plot and to quote a song I am working on mysteries with out any clues
im sure my plot is convoluted and i only see it if i stand back far enough and am looking back
im pretty sure of the ending too along the lines of fade to black

Very funny. There is always that guy that wears shorts all winter and acts like its not cold.
I am from Wisconsin I get it. Anyhoo, i put the white whicker (death is near) laundry basket in the bedroom. Notes about the comment above. Thank you for the nice welcome. Look forward to read more
writing. I am going to take a nap. I will post the first paragraphs for my novel Unspoken Mermaid
soon. LV

BabesJJ

Unspoken Mermaid

Chapter 1 Iced Iggy

Iggy died ice fishing. It was an inglorious death. He claimed to have seen a mermaid as a child. Some people thought he was searching for her, when he fell head-first in the ice hole. Being overweight and narrow shouldered he fit like a cork. It was over in minutes. A silent scream to the sturgeons who warily eyed him from below. Two fellow ice fishermen passing by saw him from afar, first impression was they thought he was kneeling. Iggy was butt up in the air. One of the men, it crossed his mind to take a joke photo for prosperity. Thought better of it at the last minute and stopped himself. Both men tugged at Iggy’s body which was stuck head and shoulders in the ice hole. His clothes had become partially frozen. When he was finally extricated and the emergency medical people had tiptoed gingerly across the ice to get him, no further life saving measures were taken.

As Iggy was drowning. Iggy was in the same situation a fish is when he out of water. Just a few minutes of life. He saw a large sturgeon wiggle closer and nose bump him. Iggy with a look of wanton longing, immediately had some remorse for all the fish he had caught. I He wanted to think of something that inspired him. His mind turned to the time as a child he saw the mermaid. He told Oz immediately at school that day when they were 7 years old. He had gone down to his morning fishing spot to cast a line on his way to school. It was a beautiful place, with large stone rocks steps leading down to the lake. Near a cliff to the right was a flat rock at the waters’ edge.

BabesJJ

Dear Darren,
I don't want many people to see my first 2 paragraphs. So I on purpose posted it here. Love that name Darren. LV

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
All he's pointing out is this section is for introductions only. This section CAN be seen by anyone, including passersby, so your work will be seen by everyone. If you want it to be seen only by members of this forum, you post it in the Writers Workshop.

Nobody will give you feedback here. It's not that they don't want to, it's that they know this isn't the place. It's to keep the forum tidy and easy to follow.

BabesJJ

All he's pointing out is this section is for introductions only. This section CAN be seen by anyone, including passersby, so your work will be seen by everyone. If you want it to be seen only by members of this forum, you post it in the Writers Workshop.

Nobody will give you feedback here. It's not that they don't want to, it's that they know this isn't the place. It's to keep the forum tidy and easy to follow.

BabesJJ

TheMightyAz, Oh I agree and I was trying to hide out somehow. And I will need some help at some points. So yes I will post it at the right spot. And not grumble.

RoseRiver Are you the one from Wisconsin if I remember correctly as I haven't gone back and re-read the posts. I thought of a funny way to describe where I am from in Wisconsin. Prefaced by all of my beloved grandparents are buried there. Anyway I am from the place in Wisconsin. If you hypothetically took the DaVinci man drawing and
put it over the state of Wisconsin I am from the place he would go wee wee on. About there. Does that help? I thought that was funny and it came to me this morning.

Darren, I love that name. I will post on the correct site that you guided me.

General meandering thoughts this morning. Yesterday after picking our kid up from school. He gets out at a weird 5PM on Tuesday. And he is in a special class for foreign students half the day and there is no bus. On our way home H------- says Oh there is my teacher riding her bike. She was far ahead of us and I only got a glimpse of her. And by the time we caught up to her she had taken a left to the train station and so we only saw her back up close. And H--------- our son said don't follow her dad or let mom do anything weird. Anyway she had a beautiful dark blond hair very full and it was half way down her back and she had a stocking cap on her head. Her bike had saddle bags so she might take the bike with her on the train back to Paris or carry them and lock her bike. My guess if I had to guess was she brought her bike. She was pretty. H------ told me she has an English accent and lived in England 20 years but is French. Anyway it was nice to see her back.

On the writing front I am extremely under confident and not that I don't want to improve and get feed back. It is I just think I am terrible. And I am experienced at critique and have had a creative writing class once in college. I loved it of course. And I have a bachelors in painting and understand the critique process. I have no objection to it at all. I just have very little confidence. Anyhoo, we like to try new recipes. We are trying this odd specialty called Cozette. It is a pasta that is cut into tiny little squares. And you put it in a cassarole with a special cheese from the north of France and put what they call lardons here but are small bits of bacon. And we got all the ingredients at the store yesterday And I love my last before death new whicker laundry basket. I was looking at it this morning. I laughed at H------ our son he took one look at it last night and said it looks like a garbage can. I was like its white whicker. Oh one last thing. Its the sales in France for clothes until mid Feb. Feb 16th to be exact and I got a new light winter coat yesterday, 70% off. the new kind that you can scrunch up into a small ball but its a full coat. its a muted french blue with a hood and very thing but made of that material it feels like wearing a giant garbage bag but its very stylish and was steeply discounted. I will wait until next year to wear it as my normal black light coat is fine and i feel more icognito wearing it.

toodles poodles

BabesJJ

Note to self will write for 2 hours tomorrow morning although the Corgi will be loudly bathed in the shower by the home visiting groomer. LV

BabesJJ

Note to self. Working on Henry reflecting on his fathers death as a child and his great uncles death. While sitting in his great uncles recliner. I actually wrote today.

BabesJJ

Besides the books I’ve already mentioned, Walter Tevis brought out one more science fiction novel, “The Steps to the Sun” (1983), which I’m saving for another day. He died in 1984 of lung cancer at age 56 — a cruel loss for readers and American literature. I was just reading the Washington Post and saw this writer high lighted. He wrote the Queens Gambit.

BabesJJ

Corgi was loudly bathed yesterday and Walter Tevis is on my mind a lot. Starting to write.

Queens Gambit by Walter Tevis

[FONT=&quot]I did and here they are:

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Beth learned of her mother’s death from a woman with a clipboard.”

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“In the Methuen Home in Mount Sterling, Kentucky, Beth was given a tranquilizer twice a day.”

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Horberg then said, “For the next 243 pages, the most important thing in your life is hoping she is going to be OK. So, you go back and look. How the hell did he do that? I’m still looking.”

[/FONT]