Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Coffee and Poetry Make the World Go Round-Introducing Myself (1 Viewer)

BabesJJ

Hi Everyone, I need writer friends. I got my first Twitter today under LouiseVoillemin. The first thing I wrote as a test was Coffee and Poetry make the world go round. Someone screamed that at me once while I sat outside of a coffee shot. It always stuck in my head. I am thinking of writing a book of poems about my sister who is in prison. Called "Poems to My Sister in Prison". I was petting our cat Thomas yesterday and told my husband that I was so sad my sister couldn't pet a cat for years. And my husband told me well if you go to prison I could send you a cat furr to pet. I mean I would never allow that but it was a funny thought. And it got me thinking of a poem. And I have started a novel about a man who is an ice fisherman and wears a hat with ear flaps. And searched for a mermaid he saw once as a child. On the novel front I am writing it with it being a detective series. It is the last book in the series which is a strange way to start but its the most clear to me. I am focused on high school math for my 14 year old son which is like the worst task in the universe but he needs homeschooling as online he is not working. So we picked 2 topics to follow until school becomes normal. Anyway, so you know a lot about me. I have a husband, a son, a cat, (we also have an aging deaf Corgi), a sister in prison, hobbies tutoring high school algebra (save me) and writing.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Welcome to the forum and you've already contributed a short story! An ice fisherman searching for a mermaid sounds very much like a metaphor to me. A cold hearted man who longs for the warmth and love of a good hearted woman. But it's the pursuit itself that stops him ever attaining that love. Perfection, the subconscious self sabotaging him.

ice wisherman: cold hearted man
mermaid: warm hearted woman but one he's never destined to find.

BabesJJ

Welcome to the forum and you've already contributed a short story! An ice fisherman searching for a mermaid sounds very much like a metaphor to me. A cold hearted man who longs for the warmth and love of a good hearted woman. But it's the pursuit itself that stops him ever attaining that love. Perfection, the subconscious self sabotaging him.

ice wisherman: cold hearted man
mermaid: warm hearted woman but one he's never destined to find.

BabesJJ

Hi Az,
I keep meaning to look up some meanings for a man that searches for a Mermaid. I saw the book the Little Mermaid the other day when we all went to the local library and meant to pick it up. The story by Hans Christian Anderson. I remember there was a girl in a class I took once who had gone to a city I think it was someplace in Denmark were she was famous and there was a statue. It is strange to begin with the last book in a series. And he dies in the first page. And all the books I plan to write come before this. So its like whatever I write from now on are fatefully meeting his inglorious demise. For some reason that reminds me of John F Kennedy Jrs life. We didn't know at the time well he died before I was born. But how his life could be seen from the lens of what was coming. Anyway, I am truly rambling. Thanks for the welcome. And like a dream we are somehow all the characters in our book. Wasn't my husband funny about the comment about our cat. Sending me his furr to pet if I went to prison. Although of course we would never do that in real life. It was very sick and sweet at the same time. I am fact a vegetarian. Anyhoo, what are you writing at the moment. LV

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Hi Az,
I keep meaning to look up some meanings for a man that searches for a Mermaid. I saw the book the Little Mermaid the other day when we all went to the local library and meant to pick it up. The story by Hans Christian Anderson. I remember there was a girl in a class I took once who had gone to a city I think it was someplace in Denmark were she was famous and there was a statue. It is strange to begin with the last book in a series. And he dies in the first page. And all the books I plan to write come before this. So its like whatever I write from now on are fatefully meeting his inglorious demise. For some reason that reminds me of John F Kennedy Jrs life. We didn't know at the time well he died before I was born. But how his life could be seen from the lens of what was coming. Anyway, I am truly rambling. Thanks for the welcome. And like a dream we are somehow all the characters in our book. Wasn't my husband funny about the comment about our cat. Sending me his furr to pet if I went to prison. Although of course we would never do that in real life. It was very sick and sweet at the same time. I am fact a vegetarian. Anyhoo, what are you writing at the moment. LV

I'm writing The Glass Tulip: https://www.writingforums.com/threads/191523-The-Glass-Tulip?p=2327656&viewfull=1#post2327656

On the surface it's about a young boy (Tommy) who sees the world as a dark place. He has only two places left he can truly find happiness: Ashton Woods and Candy Land. One day love comes into his life, the lemon girl, and his life begins to change ...

It's not finished but there's a sizeable chunk done.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce. Just know that the Writing Showcase section is open to everyone, including passersby. The Writing Workshop is only available to members, so your work is relatively safe there. To access that, and other sections, all you have to do is have 10 posts. :)

BabesJJ

Druid does that mean your a druid. Do you believe trees have spirits. Follow all the rituals of the sun and seasons? I read one Druid custom that I am not sure it is even true. That the wedding ring was a druid custom that we had a vein from our left finger that went to our heart. And druids wore wedding rings to show this heart connections. Although my guess is most marriages were very practical in that time. Bread baker families only married other bread maker families. So what did love have to do with it. Anyway, what are you writing and why druid1. That sounds like a young person to me.

BabesJJ

Sounds like a great story. My book is called Unspoken Mermaid. I am from Wisconsin and my book is set in my home town. I live in France as my husband is French and we are long married and have a son together and he just retired. We are middle aged. So I suddenly don't really need to work and can write consistently and my son needs extra tutoring because of online school. So the plan is for me to write and tutor and take a job in September when hopefully the world is back to normal. Whatever that is. Why Glass Tulip? The title of my book is Unspoken Mermaid.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Sounds like a great story. My book is called Unspoken Mermaid. I am from Wisconsin and my book is set in my home town. I live in France as my husband is French and we are long married and have a son together and he just retired. We are middle aged. So I suddenly don't really need to work and can write consistently and my son needs extra tutoring because of online school. So the plan is for me to write and tutor and take a job in September when hopefully the world is back to normal. Whatever that is. Why Glass Tulip? The title of my book is Unspoken Mermaid.

I cannot tell you that! :)

Two more posts and you'll be able to read it for yourself. You'll see why I've called it The Glass Tulip but not necessarily why I've called it The Glass Tulip ...

BabesJJ

I will stay tuned. It is 745 here in France. Our kiddo starts school at 905 or something on Mondays. My husband will drive him and then he goes after he drops our son off and gets his feet massaged on Monday. GAWD. And I will write undisturbed. It is a man masuesse sp. And then I have to hear a full report of how it went. I am planning my sons Algebra I lesson. (save me my worst subject) but I did take all those classes and pass them. And for science I am looking at this really beautiful documentary series My Blue Planet but the one on the ocean. Just so while he is adapting to France he continues in math and science. He is French but the French system is like 6 months of mindless French classes. Sorry French people. In the USA they give you English classes but then you just go off to all the other classes and suffer. Anyway writing and tutoring today. Hearing about my husbands foot massage. Are you in Australia? Do you have a pet wallabee? sp. LV

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I will stay tuned. It is 745 here in France. Our kiddo starts school at 905 or something on Mondays. My husband will drive him and then he goes after he drops our son off and gets his feet massaged on Monday. GAWD. And I will write undisturbed. It is a man masuesse sp. And then I have to hear a full report of how it went. I am planning my sons Algebra I lesson. (save me my worst subject) but I did take all those classes and pass them. And for science I am looking at this really beautiful documentary series My Blue Planet but the one on the ocean. Just so while he is adapting to France he continues in math and science. He is French but the French system is like 6 months of mindless French classes. Sorry French people. In the USA they give you English classes but then you just go off to all the other classes and suffer. Anyway writing and tutoring today. Hearing about my husbands foot massage. Are you in Australia? Do you have a pet wallabee? sp. LV

Only one more post and you can hit my link and take a look :) Every single post you've posted so far is brimming with story potential lol. You live an interesting life.

BabesJJ

I have to get a full report on my husbands foot massage in a few hours and tutor Algebra I this afternoon. Please have mercy on my soul. I just read that April is poetry month. That is interesting to me. This is a random thought. I live in an old farmhouse outside of Paris. It is large very large and freezing. During the day I will scream "I'm cold". My family has become used to it. I mention my living situation because of what I wanted to say was about the 2 roosters I hear every morning if I am careful to hear them. As the walls are so thick and the shutters to tight we can't hear anything really. I leave one bedroom window a crack open at night. And around 0540 off in the far distance maybe miles kilometers here a rooster crows around 0540. He sounds old. His crows are croaky and distant and forlorne. He has great minutes between each crow. And the get weaker and weaker I usually count 7 and sometimes one last strangled 8. Meanwhile a medevil farm with a moat not far has a rooster. This rooster crows at 710ish. This is a younger stronger sounding rooster. Also on a different time schedule. His crows are closer together more robust even bossy. Funny that he crows so late after 7AM, many crows sometimes as many as 15. Fast together. Like a traffic jam. The other rooster more forelorne in the far distance struggling to get out half as many. And so much earlier. Makes me think of premordial time when lizards woke up and were warmed by the sun. As birds look so lizardy without feathers. I imagine when these reptiles learned to crow with the sun. My husband and son are about to leave for school and foot massage. The deaf Corgi is snoring very loudly and our cat that my husband offered to skin to send me his fur to keep me happy so i should have something to pet in prison as not cats are allowed there. although we would never do that and I am a vegetarian. Thomas is here. Oh and this is my 10th post. I think I misspelled forlorn medeivil and premorial. and too lazy to google.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Welcome to the site, Louise. :) Your title grabbed me as coffee and poetry are both dear to my heart.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Hi, Louise, I'd venture to say that now you are among friends. Your novel sounds delightful and starting at the end of a series does make sense! Not sure how often it has been done but it sure beats having to search for an elusive ending for a series.

I have to say, your slice-of-life paragraphs are fun to read. You observe your surroundings beautifully and with a kind of whimsy that is wonderful.

Recently I saw a meme that said, "Name a book that made you cry" and the answer was "Algebra". So I completely understand the pain you're going through! I was terrible at algebra and helping my oldest daughter was painful, too. Thankfully my son (15) is okay and doesn't need help with it. What a relief. If the Kahn Academy videos on You Tube are available in France, try looking up the algebra concept that your son needs help with and "kahn" in you tube. These are really good explanations.

In any case, I'm glad you've found WF!

BabesJJ

Gumby, The actual quote screamed at me while I was sitting outside a coffee shop was "coffee HOUSES and poetry make the world go round". It was a guy driving fast around a corner going away from me so i never saw his face. A drive by coffee shops and poetry anonymous scream. Due to Covid-19 closings of many coffee shops I changed it to a mere coffee and poetry. And my first husband (ex), he was a big fat hippie I met in university. He loved Milton. Can you imagine anyone who loves Milton. Anyway, he loved poetry and got me enjoying it. Strangely he died about 2 weeks ago and I have been mourning him by watching music videos of 90s singers. Like that song your gonna be the one who saves me. after all, and such videos. We were married 10 years and long divorced and have not spoken for years and years. We were not on bad terms but I am remarried with a son and you don't try and chat up your exes in Texas or anything. Anyway, my ex who was an English major got me appreciating poetry. I wish they didn't admonish people for randomly posting poetry. But maybe we would all go nutz and overpost. Why do you appreciate poetry. How did it start?

Foxee, the Algebra comment was very funny, but my life is a hell because of both having to listen about my husbands foot massage and Algebra. We got a book called the turn key series. I will look at the Kahn Academy series. I will do some light math tutoring this semester and augment it with science videos. I found this great article about beautiful science series and videos mostly ocean and climate stuff. I don't think we can watch too much biology stuff as a family its like watching a tampon commercial with your father in the room I guess. My book is giving me the ideas for these two detectives. I re read the first 2 chapters and its not so bad I couldnt publish it on amazon and send it to my friends. I read someplace that if you write 4 novels and still have not published you might quit. This is my second novel. My first was a weird experience. What have your written and what was the experience like?

Jk_Sl

Hi Everyone, I need writer friends. I got my first Twitter today under LouiseVoillemin. The first thing I wrote as a test was Coffee and Poetry make the world go round. Someone screamed that at me once while I sat outside of a coffee shot. It always stuck in my head. I am thinking of writing a book of poems about my sister who is in prison. Called "Poems to My Sister in Prison". I was petting our cat Thomas yesterday and told my husband that I was so sad my sister couldn't pet a cat for years. And my husband told me well if you go to prison I could send you a cat furr to pet. I mean I would never allow that but it was a funny thought. And it got me thinking of a poem. And I have started a novel about a man who is an ice fisherman and wears a hat with ear flaps. And searched for a mermaid he saw once as a child. On the novel front I am writing it with it being a detective series. It is the last book in the series which is a strange way to start but its the most clear to me. I am focused on high school math for my 14 year old son which is like the worst task in the universe but he needs homeschooling as online he is not working. So we picked 2 topics to follow until school becomes normal. Anyway, so you know a lot about me. I have a husband, a son, a cat, (we also have an aging deaf Corgi), a sister in prison, hobbies tutoring high school algebra (save me) and writing.

Welcome , lovely story by the way.

Do you know what is funny and so true about coffee and poetry, coffee naturally increases adrenaline our fight or flight hormone.
I feel when I’ve had too much coffee my brain won’t shut up with words to write.

Thank you for sharing and welcome [emoji4][emoji3590]

BabesJJ

Hi JK_SL, I have gone through terrible coffee years where I would drink 4 pots a day. I went a few years were I drank pretty much non-stop diet pepsi. Now I am middle aged and drink like 2 cups in the morning. I become poetic spontaneously now. Every time me or my husband get out of chairs we groan now. I remember when we could get out of a chair without groaning. Its sad to sit and watch each other fall apart. Anyhoo, nice to hear from you. LV

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Foxee, the Algebra comment was very funny, but my life is a hell because of both having to listen about my husbands foot massage and Algebra. We got a book called the turn key series. I will look at the Kahn Academy series. I will do some light math tutoring this semester and augment it with science videos. I found this great article about beautiful science series and videos mostly ocean and climate stuff. I don't think we can watch too much biology stuff as a family its like watching a tampon commercial with your father in the room I guess. My book is giving me the ideas for these two detectives. I re read the first 2 chapters and its not so bad I couldnt publish it on amazon and send it to my friends. I read someplace that if you write 4 novels and still have not published you might quit. This is my second novel. My first was a weird experience. What have your written and what was the experience like?
Algebra I understand wanting to scream about but what is the deal with your husband's foot massage? Is there a story there? I've never had a foot massage (other than a half-hearted one) so I have no idea what he has to talk about there.
Just reading some of this stuff in your intro thread it sounds like I just might enjoy your writing.
I have mostly written short stories and flash fiction. Any novels I've tried so far have ended up as gently moaning sheeted wreckage in the dungeon. But I keep learning and I'll keep trying.

Keep notes about your weird experiences, you might want to put that into a memoir someday.

BabesJJ

Algebra I understand wanting to scream about but what is the deal with your husband's foot massage? Is there a story there? I've never had a foot massage (other than a half-hearted one) so I have no idea what he has to talk about there.
Just reading some of this stuff in your intro thread it sounds like I just might enjoy your writing.
I have mostly written short stories and flash fiction. Any novels I've tried so far have ended up as gently moaning sheeted wreckage in the dungeon. But I keep learning and I'll keep trying.

Keep notes about your weird experiences, you might want to put that into a memoir someday.