Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cloud Atlas (1 Viewer)

Dephere

Anyone read it?

I picked it out at random at B&N the other day and now I'm about halfway through. I love it....it's a nice piece of writing! It's funny and interesting too....

Anyway....I was wondering if David Mitchell's other books were worth reading?

Love to hear....

Stewart

I've got Mitchell's four books on my shelf although I've not read them. In fact, I started his latest, Black Swan Green, but I thought he was trying too hard in his narrative to evoke the eighties (and a child's perception at that) that it seemed a constructed work where you can see the cracks rather than a seamless whole. Especially when, around the same time, M.J. Hyland's Carry Me Down, came out and also featured a youth's narrative - and did it better, in my opinion. And many others, it would see, as Hyland's book is still making longlists while Mitchell's has pretty much exhausted its opportunities.

Amour

Mitchell is easily one of my favorite authors. The man is brilliant. Cloud Atlas is definitely one of my favorite books, and probably my favorite by him. (I promise not to say 'favorite' again in this post.. :p) Of the three I have read, I liked Black Swan Green least, though I did think it was a perfect seamless whole. Very creative and well written. It is definitely his most "simple" novel, following one character, and probably the most universally accessible. Deep down, however, it is littered with very nice subtlety. I've heard it called the "English" Catcher in the rye. Number 9 Dream is not as accessible, but just as, if not more, brilliant, and an incredibly fun read. I found myself laughing out loud, and sitting wide eyed at his wit and profound insight into the complexities of human interaction. I haven't read ghostwritten yet, though I've heard great things. Highly recommend all of Mitchell. Love him. Exhausted his opportunities? You mean as an author? I think that David Mitchell is a man of limitless potential, talent, and opportunity.

(Very short summary of major awards: Ghostwritten won the John Llewellyn Rhys Prize ((for best work of British literature written by an author under 35)) and was shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award. His two subsequent novels, number9dream ((2001)) and Cloud Atlas ((2004)), were both shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize. In 2003, he was selected as one of Granta’s Best of Young British Novelists. Cloud Atlas was also nominated for the 2004 Nebula Award for Best Novel, and won the British Book Award Literary Fiction Award and the Richard & Judy Book of the Year award. Just a short list from a glance at wikipedia.)

Or did you mean Black swan green was exhausted :-X? Hyland is great, too, for sure.

Last edited:

Stewart

Amour said:
Or did you mean Black swan green was exhausted :-X? Hyland is great, too, for sure.

I meant that it is no longer appearing in award lists while Hyland's is. Although, to be fair, Mitchell isn't exactly eligible for the Orange Broadband Prize.

Amour

Stewart said:
I meant that it is no longer appearing in award lists while Hyland's is. Although, to be fair, Mitchell isn't exactly eligible for the Orange Broadband Prize.

Haha, gotcha. Sorry about that.. I misread your post at first. You are right, of course. Hyland's book is amazing and deserves the recognition, but I still do like Mitchell's, even if it isn't making the lists.