Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

[CLOSED - NO FURTHER NEED FOR BETAS RIGHT NOW] Beta Reader Request for "The Heights of Ambition" (Science Fiction, 90K words) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
TITLE: The Heights of Ambition
GENRE: Science Fiction - First Contact
WORD COUNT: 90K
BLURB: When a deadly enemy drives Parul from his subterranean home, he discovers a strange and wonderful land. But one of the inhabitants there resolves to take him back, and they set out on an adventure that reveals the world's extraordinary history.
SENSITIVE CONTENT: infrequent, mildly graphic violence; perilous situations
AUDIENCE DESCRIPTION: General audiences, particularly fans of "unknown world" adventures. Prior understanding of some science fiction concepts is helpful but not required. No profanity, no sexual content, sparse violence.
EXPECTATIONS: This a finished and (presumably) polished work. Any comments are welcome, but I'm primarily looking for feedback on what works and doesn't work from a presentation, plot, setting, or character development point of view. Basically, how do you feel about it and why. I'd prefer feedback in the form of inline comments in a Word document.
TIMESCALE: No longer than 3 months if possible. Sooner is always better.
AVAILABLE FORMATS: Read-only Word document (notes enabled), or PDF if desired. The former is preferred.

I'm definitely willing to exchange beta reads, as I've found people are more motivated to read if they're got a work of their own being reviewed. I'll review any genre (though I'm incredibly rigid when it comes to poetry), and am very thorough in my comments.

Last edited:

Turnbull

I'm a little surprised no one else answered. I'll give yours a looksee, if no one else has yet. If you wouldn't mind checking out my short story, that would be cool. It's only 13k words.

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
I'm a little surprised no one else answered. I'll give yours a looksee, if no one else has yet. If you wouldn't mind checking out my short story, that would be cool. It's only 13k words.

Yeah, I would have thought with the past year that everyone and their brother would have finished novels ready to exchange. Thanks for the reply just the same; I saw your PM and I'll email you.

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
Thank you to the several people who reached out to me about this. It seems I'll need to do some extensive rework, so for now, I'm no longer looking for beta readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.