Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

clawing my way to totally average (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabesJJ

I am reading a lot of great stuff here. I did read some writing excerpts I wanted to write extracts like vanilla extract. Anyway, from what I get is that I need to develop a writers life. This is not just about butt glue. Putting in the writing time. This is about reading. And finding support and giving support to other writers. I am ready to come out as a writer I suppose. Rock it or own it. So, my plan is to write every morning unless have a serious appointment. I am moderately talented and moderately hard working. I can produce a fiction novel. That is what I mean by clawing my way to totally average. I am struggling for average here. I think what I am trying to say is that I am trying to take myself seriously. Although obviously I am love humor. Getting a lot of good writers vibes. I am hesitant to put too much of my stuff out there. When I run into a problem I will bring it to the group. Just for the reason that I have excellent ideas and I don't want anyone copying me. I don't mean to be off putting by saying that. I like the comments. Lots of intelligent people here.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
What problems would those be? Do you see what I'm getting at? You want to improve ... but how do you know what needs improving? The only way of finding out your weaknesses is to post snippets of your work in the Writing Workshop so people can go through it and give you pointers. You don't have to post all of it, just a page would do. So people can get an idea of how to help. Nobody is going to steal your ideas :)

BabesJJ

Hi TMA,
My biggest issue right now is just sitting down and doing it each day. I have 2 chapters. My 2 main characters are introduced in the first paragraphs Iggy and Oz. I have an outline. I need the butt glue at this point. And sorry in advance for being paranoid about my writing I had a weird experience with my first novel. Its a long story I don't like to go into it. I can ask for help though if issues come up. Right now its just I need to work everyday. I read some of your story and its moves quiet well. I love thinking of book titles. This book I was going to call Iced Iggy but I ended up just calling the first chapter Iced Iggy. Get it he is iced in ice. And i wanted to have my first scene one of those grab you by the throat and hold em there kinda scenes. To hold attention. I heard that Billy Wilder who wrote Sunset Blvd used that style of writing. I love memorable first scenes, For instance, the old movie terms of endearment. Shirley McClaine is worried about the baby and the baby is asleep and she goes in and wakes her up and makes her cry. Setting the stage for a fraught mother daughter relationship. Anyway, just sitting down each day and writing is my barrier right now. And it is helping coming here. LV

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I am reading a lot of great stuff here. I did read some writing excerpts I wanted to write extracts like vanilla extract. Anyway, from what I get is that I need to develop a writers life. This is not just about butt glue. Putting in the writing time. This is about reading. And finding support and giving support to other writers. I am ready to come out as a writer I suppose. Rock it or own it. So, my plan is to write every morning unless have a serious appointment.
Do it! Please do it. You have potential all over you and it's showing up in every post. I'm really, really excited for you to do exactly what you're saying.
I am moderately talented and moderately hard working. I can produce a fiction novel. That is what I mean by clawing my way to totally average. I am struggling for average here.
I've learned it's not really productive to worry about whether you're average or not. You've got talent and a solid plan that includes hard work. Do that and don't worry about ranking.
I think what I am trying to say is that I am trying to take myself seriously.
You're ready to do it and that's GREAT. I have a friend who makes wire-wrapped jewelry and can never decide whether she's a hobbyist or a pro. That indecision doesn't help her at all. If it's time to do it DO IT.
I am hesitant to put too much of my stuff out there. When I run into a problem I will bring it to the group. Just for the reason that I have excellent ideas and I don't want anyone copying me. I don't mean to be off putting by saying that. I like the comments. Lots of intelligent people here.
I've been here long enough to see this fear mentioned a lot. However, this is why we have the Workshops (so nobody can just search up what you're working on from out on the interwebs and decide to appropriate it) and people who are here on WF are mainly concerned about their own work. So this is pretty much a baseless fear. Don't let it stop you from workshopping and improving your work if you want to.

BabesJJ

Foxee, Don't forget death I mention death a lot too. Not only fear but death is high on my list. I have an expensive white whicker laundry basket that is the kind of laundry basket you only buy once before you die. Can I bottle you like Barbara Eden in I dream of Jeannie. Like you can sit in my house and I can rub the I Dream of Jeannie Bottle and you appear to say the NICEST THINGS EVER. I had a bad experience with my first novel. I wrote it and made a second draft and didn't follow up with the editor I met. The big issues is I was so friendly and open back then that I would give my manuscript to anyone. And not following up after I had a child was not the issue. I think someone from my query letter class stole the idea. My book is a nice Indie movie we discovered years later. My title and everything. I didn't write all these years not because of that. I had a child and worked in insurance and most recently with the elderly. Now I am being entirely supported by my husband. I can do anything. So moving forward tomorrow I will write in the morning although our overweight Corgi dog groomer will be fluffing and buffing him all over the place tomorrow. You are like a saint. LV

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Putting in the writing time. This is about reading. And finding support and giving support to other writers. I am ready to come out as a writer I suppose. Rock it or own it. So, my plan is to write every morning unless have a serious appointment. I am moderately talented and moderately hard working. I can produce a fiction novel.

That's a fantastic plan! I made the same commitment in January 2020. I wrote half of my novel without WF and now I am writing the second half with the support of WF. The second half is definitely more fun!

That is what I mean by clawing my way to totally average. I am struggling for average here. I think what I am trying to say is that I am trying to take myself seriously. Although obviously I am love humor.

I think that's a good approach. If your standards are too high in the beginning, it may become too intimidating to get started. I can see that you have a great sense of humour. That's rare and very valuable! I envy that...

One thing that helped me with developing a writer's life was to have a writing goal. Writing a novel can be daunting, so I reward myself with little achievements along the way. I started with a goal of two chapters a month. Then I moved the goal post to 400 words a day, and eventually now it is only a minimum of 200 words a day. That one seems to be the sweet spot, because even on days when I don't feel like writing it's easy to get to 200, so it gets me there, and most days I write more.

Getting a lot of good writers vibes. I am hesitant to put too much of my stuff out there. When I run into a problem I will bring it to the group. Just for the reason that I have excellent ideas and I don't want anyone copying me. I don't mean to be off putting by saying that. I like the comments. Lots of intelligent people here.

Not everyone posts their writing here. And I don't think it's necessary to improve if you don't feel comfortable doing it for whatever reason. As you say, just reading and finding support is also a great way to enhance your writing. People here are very intelligent and also very helpful. I have learned a ton here and the esprit de corps keeps me going.

Welcome back to the writer's life!

BabesJJ

Taylor, How sweet are you? We are an owl loving family ourselves. My husband loves owls and his keychain is an owl. And anything with an Owl he likes. They are beautiful creatures. I have only seen one in the wild in the last years. I lived in a suburb of a small city and we saw wild animals time to time. I agree manageable goals are an excellent idea. One day I hope I can offer encouragement and support. What a wonderful bunch you are. Anyhoo, we love new recipes and we are making Crozette a special dish with these little pasta squares and essentially bacon bits and a dish baked in the oven.

So tomorrow I am going to do the butt glue thing and write and glad to be amongst fellow writers. We are not like other people.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Taylor, How sweet are you? We are an owl loving family ourselves. My husband loves owls and his keychain is an owl. And anything with an Owl he likes. They are beautiful creatures. I have only seen one in the wild in the last years. I lived in a suburb of a small city and we saw wild animals time to time. I agree manageable goals are an excellent idea. One day I hope I can offer encouragement and support. What a wonderful bunch you are. Anyhoo, we love new recipes and we are making Crozette a special dish with these little pasta squares and essentially bacon bits and a dish baked in the oven.

I love anyone who loves owls and cooking...you are a kindred spirit.

So tomorrow I am going to do the butt glue thing and write and glad to be amongst fellow writers. We are not like other people.

No we are not...lol!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Ugh, sorry you were ripped off like that, it certainly would create trust issues.

Afraid I have to turn down the living arrangements with the genie-bottle though:

image_2021-02-03_134215.jpg

BabesJJ

it was a long time ago almost 15 years ago. And I have been working and raising a kid since. I am fine. FINE. Meanwhile I find those tortured genie cartoons a lot of fun. Good night and may all the tortured genies in a bottle sleep tight.

Hi to the owl family that likes to cook.

And special mention to TMA. I like the thought of you wearing those rich lady sleeping masks and talking your novel on Dragons tooth were you couldnt be bothered by punctuation.

chao

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I love anyone who loves owls and cooking...you are a kindred spirit.

Gee, I've never even heard of a baked owl dish! {ducks!}

I have a Facebook friend (whom I met in the now discarded ESPN comment sections) who lives near Yellowstone, and works in and around the park. He's also an avid photographer who routinely posts new photos of a wide variety of wildlife. He gets a LOT of shots of owls. They are generally looking straight at him, and they invariably look mean. I keep teasing him that the owls look like they want to eat him. :)

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I had a bad experience with my first novel. I wrote it and made a second draft and didn't follow up with the editor I met. The big issues is I was so friendly and open back then that I would give my manuscript to anyone. And not following up after I had a child was not the issue. I think someone from my query letter class stole the idea. My book is a nice Indie movie we discovered years later. My title and everything. I didn't write all these years not because of that.

I can see how that would sour you...sorry you had to experience that! Did you ever think of pursuing it? Like track down the filmmaker and ask them where they got it from. Likely someone, stole your idea and re-wrote it, or even got their hands on your original MS and sold it to them. I'm not sure you'd have a legal leg to stand on, but it might be worthwhile just to know what happened.

BabesJJ

I can see how that would sour you...sorry you had to experience that! Did you ever think of pursuing it? Like track down the filmmaker and ask them where they got it from. Likely someone, stole your idea and re-wrote it, or even got their hands on your original MS and sold it to them. I'm not sure you'd have a legal leg to stand on, but it might be worthwhile just to know what happened.

BabesJJ

My husband randomly found it by googling my old book title and we said funny a movie has the same name. Then we saw them movie and it was basically my old book that was never published. Also during that time I blogged prolifically on this site called Red Room writers my husband printed them all and bound them at his old work. During that time I wasn't working right before and after I had my son. And once I started working again little by little I just gave up writing. So during that period someone could have just been reading my blogs and I blogged so profusely on what I was writing someone could have taken if from my blogs possibly? We looked at anything on the movie and my best guess is that they woman who taught how to write query letters and find and editor class might have taken it as she had my entire manuscript. And she was the only person that I knew who lived in that world. I don't really know. And the movie is not my book exactly exactly but close enough. Anyway, I have a kid to tutor high school mathematics and I still have to go back to the USA to finish a few details this summer. I don't think there is any way to really find out to be honest and I am not going to spend any time and money at this point. I wrote the book in 2006 and the movie was made in 2013ish I think I can't remember I will have to check. Anyway, I will be more cautious now. And its not that anything I write is that great. I don't think the novel was in publishable form at the time but they took the ideas and made an indie movie, somebody did. It was made in Canada and I have kind of followed what productions companies ect work out of there. Anyway, that is that. On the owl front. Yes the picture of cartoon owls cooking with homey aprons is cute. We used to have a running joke that this persian can we had named Benn Furr was a closet gay and as soon as we left he would put on a silk lounging robe and smoke a cigarette in a long thin Italian cigarette holder. Because in real life he was a very gruff macho persian cat. Anyway, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Wranger, I am very carless on spelling and punctuation. If you read my posts and are oriented that way you will go nutz as I make lots of mistakes all over the place. It is freeing.

Ok waiting for the dog groomer and then will write for 2 hours.

BabesJJ

the above link is an OWL MAIL to Taylor. this is an owl on my husbands desk and I thought since we are both owl people or me related to an owl person. I thought you would enjoy one of our owls. I put this one in a white scarf nest before photographing. Not as good as Sears baby photos but we tried.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
the above link is an OWL MAIL to Taylor. this is an owl on my husbands desk and I thought since we are both owl people or me related to an owl person. I thought you would enjoy one of our owls. I put this one in a white scarf nest before photographing. Not as good as Sears baby photos but we tried.

You just made my day! Does he speak french?

BabesJJ

Hi Taylor,
Yes he is born and raised in France and we are here right now in France. You are my official first friend on the Writing forum. LV

Status
Not open for further replies.