Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Chuck Palahnuik Reading in Menlo Park (1 Viewer)

gohn67

Yesterday I went to a a book reading featuring Chuck Palahnuik. He read Hot Pot from Haunted, which was good not as good as Guts or the The Slumming. There was about 60-80 people there. Overall it was pretty cool.

I bought a copy of haunted and got it signed, but they didn't have any copies of Fight CLub, which was disappointing.

The best part was when he was talking about a few stories people would tell him after his book readings.

I'll summarize them as they are very gross and funny and good stories.

THe first story.

THis lady told him about the first orgasm she ever got. It was when she 13-14 and she snuck into the bathroom. They have this cookie monster electric toothbrush, and the rest is self explanatory. And she did this every few days, waking up early before everyone else and pleasing herself with that cookie monster tooth brush. And her mom wondered why the batteries ran out so quickly.
-It sounded funnier when he told it, as I am just writing this out really quickly

Second Story- this was even better.

This was about a guy; he's kind of loser. One day he's painting this house, this abandoned house, and there was this dog, by itself. It was neglected with no food and no one to care for. There was shit all over the backyard from the dog. After he finished the job, he ends up taking the dog home with him. He really cares about this dog. He has kept him for nine years. Taking really good care of it.

One day he goes to the doctor, and they tell him he's HIV positive. The doctor, she's a women is telling him how to cope with being HIV positve. THe guy is not even thinking about himself, he's thinking about his dog becuase everynight for the last nine years, he jacked off and then wiped his sperm off with a kleenex and threw it beside his bed. And his dog would lick and eat the sperm covered kleenex. So then he asks, "Can my dog be HIV positve." ANd then the doctor is just looking at him funny, thinking what he could be doing with his dog. And when he realizes what the doctor is thinking, he tells her about the kleenex and everything and she tells him that it only affects humans and that the dog is going to be ok.

Also Chuck gave out meat car freshener things to everyone that was there, as it related to the story. And he also threw into the audience 8-10 severed arms and legs, fake of course.

semtecks

Sounds awesome. What does he look like. Young, old, what?

Oh yeah, if you really want fight club then you should order it off amazon. I got mine for about £3. which is about $6.

gohn67

Oh yeah, if you really want fight club then you should order it off amazon. I got mine for about £3. which is about $6.
Sweet. I should do that. Free shipping?

He looks like he's in his forties. He's really skinny. Has a thin longish triangular head. He looks kind of different from the picture in his books. He was wearing glasses and had his hair gelled and part. It was kind of curly.

He's really cool, was willing to stay and talk to everone after his reading. I left though, since I got my book signed already and there was a long line of people wiating to get htere books signed.

A

aaden

i'm so envious!

i've read everything he's released, save 'haunted'. i haven't been able to find that, though perhaps i'm just blind, hmm?

man, that's so cool.

gohn67

Haunted is awesome. Half way through now. Everything is pretty good except the Poems. Which are really strange how they're written.

A

aaden

gohn67 said:
Haunted is awesome. Half way through now. Everything is pretty good except the Poems. Which are really strange how they're written.

i love strange stuff.

man, i really need to pick this up. i'd completely forgotten he released it for the longest, longest while.

how long is it?

Users who are viewing this thread