Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Chuck Palahniuk (1 Viewer)

mwd

*raises hand*

I'd recommend reading 'Survivor' next. That one's my favourite. Haunted is actually my least favourite of everything that I've read by him. It was still good, just dragged on a bit after a while (the main plot, that is. the short stories were consistently excellent).

JoshuaOst

mwd said:
*raises hand*

I'd recommend reading 'Survivor' next. That one's my favourite. Haunted is actually my least favourite of everything that I've read by him. It was still good, just dragged on a bit after a while (the main plot, that is. the short stories were consistently excellent).
Yeah, I thought the main plot sucked. After a while I just skipped over those sections and went to the short stories.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
I've read Fight Club, Diary, Lullaby, and Haunted by Chuck. Lullaby is my favorite of those. I was planning on reading Survivor, too.. I heard it was good.

strangedaze

try using the search function. there are plenty of chuck-related threads floating around here that you might find helpful/innerestin. ive read fight club and diary. the former was pretty good, the latter was horrid. im halfway through choke and survivor; neither is really doing anything for me.

Avarice

i'm planning on stealing microserfs that douglas copeland book and fight club on sunday so i'll bitch or praise it then :)

Heid

Read "Fight Club" a couple of weeks ago and liked it. It was a completely different style to what I'm used to but I enjoyed that aspect in particular.

Picked up "Haunted" the other day and I'm probably going to read that after I've done reading my current book. I'm looking foreard to it.

Vulgar`

I'm going to the library tomorrow to check out "Fight Club." I resisted watching the movie because I want to read the book first.

JoshuaOst

Avarice said:
i'm planning on stealing microserfs that douglas copeland book and fight club on sunday so i'll bitch or praise it then :)
I've tried reading Microserfs and although the plot is all right, I thought the writing was horrible.

Avarice

yeah i never thought he was great and hes going bald so I think hes burnt out, but I'll only get it if I can get my magic discount, I certainly wouldnt pay.

strangedaze

funny story. i was binge drinking in toronto at this lanky hippy-chicks place, and some androgynous pseudo-artist thing came up to me and started talking about how he lived as a homeless person in vancouver for awhile before hiking east. he said he tracked down DC's address and showed up on his doorstep with a six pack and a hardcover edition of girlfriend in a coma. DC signed it and said, you show up with my book and some beer? im a happy man. the hipster boy/girl showed me the book, too. then i punched it in the face and sold it on ebay. theres a moral in there somewhere, i just know it.

-sd-

M

malchik77

I realize I'm a few months late on this thread, but I wanted to say that, IMO, Invisible Monsters is actually his best book. It's not quite as well known as Fight Club or Haunted, but it's worth a read.

Fantasy of You

I read the story a long time ago, but read it again just now. It's a good little story lol. It's not sick of disgusting, it's just funny it it's.. randomness, lol. Stay away from the pool, kids.

Strummer

The problem I have with this guy, is that in what I've read, he falls apart in the third act. All along, he's making adept socio-political statements in a dark tone perfectly suited to our vapid modern times. Then, in search of a climax, he falters and the story devolves into typical suspense fare.