Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Chuck P (2 Viewers)

strangedaze

Aside from Fight Club, let's hear your recommendations! This has gone on long enough - I think it's time I read something of his, though I thought that 'Guts' was brutal. Maybe I'll enjoy his novels more.

Andy

Saponification

Guts is part of a collection called Haunted. It's just been released and will hit the shelves at the start of June in the UK.

His other books are:

Survivor
Invisible Monsters
Choke
Lullaby
Diary
Fugitives and Refugees (non-fiction)
Stranger Than Fiction/Non-Fiction (non-fiction)

I'd recommend them all, but Non-Fiction and Diary probably aren't worth purchasing unless you see them on sale.

gohn67

Yea, Diary kind of sucks, but I am listening it on Audio Book, which makes it even worse probably.

ButI would suggest Survivor, as I think that had the best StoryLine, while also being totally absurd.

strangedaze

Wasn't Diary one of his earlier works, or am I just retarded? Don't answer that. From reading reviews, I figured that if his three best were Fight Club, Choke, and Survivor. Fuck me, I was at the used bookstore and they had a copy of Survivor there. They also had some Irvine Welsh. Torn, I bought Irvine and still had money left over for a sub at Quiznos. I should have friggin's starved and got a good read. Sigh.

Thanks!

Saponification

Diary was one of his latest works. I listed them in order, at least in terms of fiction. Fugitives and Refugees came before Lullaby, if I recall correctly. Non-Fiction/Stranger Than Fiction came after Diary. And then there was Haunted, a short story collection slash novel.

hwki

Survivor was definately bad ass. I read the entire thing in one sitting. I haven't read any of his other stuff, except for Fight Club. You say Choke is a good one?

HWKI

mistress_batty

'Survivor' is a weird one....and 'Invisable Monsters' surely is an odd one, didn't turn out the way I thought....my favortie so far is 'Choke', very rockin and bizzare.
^v^

gohn67

Choke's about this guy who's a sex addict, who works at a colonial theme park place, visits his dying mom in the hosptial and chokes on food at restaurants so he can be saved by people and get money and stuff from them. It basically revolves around that for the whole book. It's really hard to describe the plot.

semtecks

ok, that sounds interesting . . . but it doesn't sound like it would entertain me for 250 pages. is it worth reading?

gohn67

It's not my favorite book by him. I like Invisible Monsters and Survivor the best. But it's still entertaining to read. I would get it to just to read the planned rape scene. It's funny as hell. I didn't really like the plot to this story but it's funny and should keep you interested.

"What would jesus not do?" :lol: