Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

cheating on {the desert island question?} (1 Viewer)

kunox

[FONT=&Verdana]would this be cheating... So you know the question. if you were to be sent to mars or a dessert island or another dimension and only have {add number here} books or games to bring with you? a.k.a we all heard this one by now.. so I got a question for the ages. would request ether or table top rpgs{like dnd 5th edition} or your own book series you wrote be cheating in this case? especially if you are going to meet alternate demission and live on an alternate earth. there is a reason I ask..{it's never going to happen}.. but both wrpgs and jrpgs are based off two different interpretations of dnd from japan and the usa.. I would just like to take that book to another culture and see there interpretation. it's a dream but it will never come true. I am curious because what if you are offered this oppertunity. so many games and some many books... what exactly would cheating here actualy look like.

p.s. I just thought of one. including omnibuses would be a kind of cheat... I think..[/FONT]

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Any book on where to find fresh water without salt on the island. It would keep me alive a bit longer than anticipated assuming I were stuck on an island. Or how to build a radio and communication system to communicate. Or a book on how to contact the outside world that is civilized and has technology. Reminds me of lord of the flies the book where kids are stuck on an island. Of course, for entertainment it could be a book on how to play chess assuming I was not alone. Who knows maybe I'll be a very good chess player once I get rescued. That is the plan.

kunox

thats not really the scenerio... this was it exactly... you are being sent as part of a group through space and time to an alien planet as a group of 35 humans who alll get their choices of 10 books and 5 games to take with you... there are three problems to figure out but as a group... the problem of useful books.. a.k.a books like sirvival guides... the books that entertain... and books that represent humanity to these aliens... you have to negotiate as a group with he others that are participating. as a group.... the idea iis the books not only need to surve your needs but help others...

edit: I forgot you cannot vote for your own book choices you can only propose them.. others must accept your list via votes per book or game... you only get 10 votes and you cannot vote for your own.. I was thinking about doig a very widdle down version of this as a group.. to not complicate things,,

kunox

Sorry I really do need to edit more... lol... I am a bit hypomanic and it is late though....

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Ok that's a tough question. It would be a book for aliens to appreciate. Maybe thomas hobbes' work because the earth is facing global warming. We would need the aliens to admire his work. Leviathan would be the work. It's the only work I know that talks about the need to be humble just like nature is. Because greed is a powerful influence and I will call it that (nature being the status quo of society and what we want to protect). Because it's the prime motivator in everyone's lives. If we lived a life that took in mind the ecosystem people would be poorer than they currently are. Aliens are supposedly smart. They have been pictured as described as being superior to humans. So basically anything that can destroy this influence. Hobbes lived like a hermit in the woods I think. He enjoyed nature's expanse, simplicity, and aesthetic which is rare to have in a human being. He was also in a war or the civil war. Before he died be penned something important. So that's my top choice. Everyone has been building lives on acquiring wealth or greed. So thus if humans have a selfish behavior. Why not give them incentives to not be selfish? So for instance, one incentive can be punishing or rewarding. It would be strange but I can see a government that writers laws to punish people for being greedy.That is because people copy the behavior they see. Some limits on how rich a person can be is something I wish happened. I think Belgium has a government in place like this. I would have to google it since a family member made that comment a long time ago (more than 5 years ago). So taxing people so that they don't become rich is what they do supposedly in Belgium of all places if I am not mistaken.

Last edited:

kunox

thats cool.. I will include the books of survival in that list as well... I will be thinking of my list tonight... I really want to know is there any cheating in this scenario other than what I said above....

kunox

I am going to go very basic here... pathfinder second edition, and fate core... but also the Iliad and the odyssey... as for books we might need a book on cryptography. I hope I got that right. basically a book on how to translate languages and codes when you don't understand them... and maybe cook book or two and a book on farming... those are my pics as of books.... as of games... person 5, 3 for the and 4, smash bros ultimate, and a bunch of magic the gathering for if the power goes out....