Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Charming the pants off someone you once tried to kill. (1 Viewer)

Stormcat

Well, My antagonist blew his first impression with my protagonist. He's a bad dude, and she knows it, all her friends know it, and she wants nothing to do with him. However, because this antagonist wants to know my protagonist... carnally... He's got to try and make himself look better to lure her into a trap.

Sure he could apologize for trying to rape and murder her at their first meeting, but because he's such a bad dude, it certainly won't be a sincere apology. Also, my Protagonist has her guard up especially high. She's been burned before and is not willing to let anyone take advantage of her. This makes things even more difficult for my antagonist, as he's not dealing with some naive little missy like he usually is.

So! What are some techniques my antagonist could try to break down my protagonist and make her more vulnerable to his devious dealings?

NajaNoir

He already tried to rape and kill her? There's not much he can do to turn it around other than have her in such a vulnerable spot, she'd need to rely on him for survival.

Like, he could disable the break line in her car and it could skid into water; therefore making a rescue necessary.

Could get "stuck" in elevator alone together, he'd sob his life story to her, gain some sympathy.

Is she in a support group? He could join it and again earn a sympathetic ear.

Llyralen

If he is into rape, why play the brave hard game of building trust and learning to keep a relationship?

Rape is about control and violence and not being vulnerable. What has this guy learned that makes it so that he isn’t going to rape or kill this time and is willing to get rejected and willing to let this girl have her own choices and autonomy?

I don’t think there is anything that would make me say “Go ahead and trust him” so I’m not rooting for this one. I would be more into getting him into heavy duty therapy, having him turn himself into authorities, basically him working to change himself far away from anyone he could hurt until he is changed would be what I would be cheering for.

Xander416

Yeah, I have to agree. If he's already tried to rape and kill her, I can't conceive of any way back into your MC's good graces.

Just_Phil

I agree that her being with him romantically is most likely impossible at this point unless some Stockholm syndrome comes into play.

In the movie Crash, an officer that molests a woman is given somewhat of a redemption arc when he saves her from a crashed car, so there is that possibility.

I would suggest a character development almost like another user's suggestion of therapy. As a redemption arc may be your best bet.

You could have him in a position where she can either let him die or save him and, because she is a good person, she saves him even in spite of the heinous crime. Then, if they have to stay together to survive something there could be a development where he generally is sorry and he sort of gets a redemption so everyone doesn't just hate him.

Or, I guess you could just play into his pathology and make him an even more dispicable character that constantly harassed her until she finally submits due to gas-lighting and Stockholm. Like Leonard and Penny from Big Bang lol

Llyralen

Or, I guess you could just play into his pathology and make him an even more dispicable character that constantly harassed her until she finally submits due to gas-lighting and Stockholm. Like Leonard and Penny from Big Bang lol
Like Leonard and Penny! LOL!

I like those ideas! Sorry to chime in again, but it’s an interesting thread. All the things we would really want to see rather than this guy getting into this or any girl’s anything while he desperately needs mental health.

It could be an entirely cautionary tale?

I used to know a nurse working at a jail. She said the hard-core sex offenders were always trying to charm her silly. They really worked at it.

My husband’s already-silly step-grandmother used to volunteer for her church at a jail and one of the inmates charmed his way into becoming her boyfriend. She was 75, he was around 35. They were secretly engaged (except she told us). He was incarcerated because he had beat and wrapped a girl up in barbed wire and left her in the mountains, bleeding. Luckily she was found but spent months in a hospital. Grandmother said he was a misunderstood man and had changed and found Jesus.

He wasn’t getting out of jail any time soon, so his charming father saw an opportunity and went over to grandmother’s house and became the new boyfriend in the time it takes to change the cat litter (from what I could tell) they were secretly engaged, except, as she told us she still needed to break off the old secret engagement.

The next week another man showed up one night at her house. Her address and name as a well-to do widow must have gotten kicked around at the jail. She was luckily warned about a stranger inside her house by neighbors. My husband’s step-mom was called and they brought grandma across states to live with them and sold her house with all her thousands of dollars worth of cross-stitch patterns inside.

The most likely result of the charming of this girl in this story would be that she later burnt the charmer’s breakfast who, becomes mildly angry. Not angry enough about burnt toast to kill this time. She is found wrapped up in barbed wire in a forest. He might have gone back for her! You can only be mad at toast for so long, after all, and then you need someone to make your coffee and take the trash and be there if you get horney. Now he is ticked that she is still out in the forest.

A cautionary tale for you, me, and this is the one that grandma flattered herself she didn’t need to read all the way through, because she is such a good judge of character and people can change. I did not make this up, but it sounds like I should write it.

This girl in this story is supposedly more of a challenge than Granny. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Stormcat

I agree that her being with him romantically is most likely impossible at this point unless some Stockholm syndrome comes into play.

He's not trying to pursue her romantically, He's just playing "romantic" until he either gets into her pants or gets her into a situation where the two of them are alone and he can force himself on her. All he wants is her virginity.

I would suggest a character development almost like another user's suggestion of therapy. As a redemption arc may be your best bet.

He's not gonna get a redemption arc! He's not supposed to be likable in any way shape or form! His only redeeming qualities are that he's rich and handsome, but other than that he is the biggest bastard in the world.

That's pretty much what I plan on doing. But I could use some help with his... er... technique per se. I can read psychology study after psychology study on abusive relationships, but I need a few less clinical examples of these things abusers do.

This girl in this story is supposedly more of a challenge than Granny. Very interesting.
Not only that, but she's already married to someone else (It was an arranged marriage, both bride and groom we reluctant to marry), and her husband is actually a decent guy. He takes good care of her, makes her feel safe-er, and helps her through the psychological trauma the two of them both have. Having a decent guy in her life (as well as a live-in therapist for said psychological trauma) really highlights, I think, Just how big of a bastard this antagonist is.