Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Charles Dickens > Great Expectations (1 Viewer)

This has great characters and a great plot

I saw a modernised film on TV entitled Great Expectations
so I thought I knew the story, but it was much different

all the characters are intertwined from the first chapter to the last
every page, paragraph are interesting and some are really funny !!!

LiberalDem

I think Great Expectations was my least favorite Dickens' novel. The beginning was great but it just spiraled downhill from there. David Copperfield is probably my favorite, but Hard Times comes in a close second. Oh, and Dombey and Son was pretty good, too.

lisajane

I had to read it for year 11 English Literature. It goes down on my list of the most boring books of all time.

The first act I felt wasn't so bad, but like LiberalDem said, it all fell down after (to the point I dropped the book by the time I came to the third act and never finished).

Our class went to see Great Expectations performed and that only made it worse. Estella's character wore a very pretty dress, though, in the stage adaption.

stereomuse

I read it for school in the ninth grade. I liked it kind of, but it was sort of boring and i wouldnt recomend it for someone who likes to read for pleasure.

WordBeast

Great Expectations is my favourite Dickens novel. And I think that the 1946 movie, directed by David Lean, with John Mills and Alec Guiness is one of the best films ever made. The more recent remake with Ethan Hawke and Ann Bancroft, is a dreadful, dreadful movie and should never have been made.

WordBeast said:
Great Expectations is my favourite Dickens novel. And I think that the 1946 movie, directed by David Lean, with John Mills and Alec Guiness is one of the best films ever made. The more recent remake with Ethan Hawke and Ann Bancroft, is a dreadful, dreadful movie and should never have been made.

well, I am glad you agree with me in that it was my favourite read so far...
not at all boring, but it was maybe that some had to read it for their education rather than for pleasure...

~

I haven't read that book yet, but this semester in my Honor's English class we are being forced to. (Among other horrible books, I might add.) I did see the movie, in fact, and it was a horrible HORRIBLE movie!! -burns- But I heard the book was a lot different. (Like the old woman wore her wedding dress for years and never bathed or shaved-ew. o_O)