Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Catch-22 (1 Viewer)

Deagon777

I started this book last week and I already love it! Heller is hilarious.

It's unfortunate I've never actually heard the term this book added to the dictionary only once before I started reading it. Where? Lost, of course!

Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on this book?

quarterscot

Matt Groening, before creating The Simpsons, did a comic strip called Work Is Hell. One piece was called something like 'The Road To Manhood' - 'First Drink,' 'First Car Crash' etc. Under 'First Realisation That Everything You've Been Taught Is A Lie' he showed an adolescent reading Catch-22. That sums up the book for me. If you didn't read and repeatedly re-read it as a cynical, depressed teenager, you only had half a childhood.

ClancyBoy

Matt Groening, before creating The Simpsons, did a comic strip called Work Is Hell. One piece was called something like 'The Road To Manhood' - 'First Drink,' 'First Car Crash' etc. Under 'First Realisation That Everything You've Been Taught Is A Lie' he showed an adolescent reading Catch-22. That sums up the book for me. If you didn't read and repeatedly re-read it as a cynical, depressed teenager, you only had half a childhood.

The comic is called Life in Hell. Work is Hell, Love is Hell, etc etc are compilations.

Also I couldn't finish Catch-22 because suddenly I got flies in my eyes.

For me with Squalor

Its not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. It doesn't stay funny all the way, but its abstractness is refreshing, for a lot of people this kind of out of the box thinking is too strenuous and painful. I love Milo Minderbinder his character is incredible.
He's another one of the misunderstood authors with some genius in him!

U

UnderToad

How refreshing that someone thinks it's not funny all the way thru. It's not meant to be comedic.

P

plaindealingvillain

probably my favourite book out of all those i've read so far. Heller's style of cynicism is also key to many other writers and comedians, for example Woody Allen, Philip Roth, Larry David and Saul Bellow. I love love love this style of comedy, which can probably be classified as "jewish-american", although many of the above people don't like to associate themselves with said genre.

a brilliant brilliant book. i completely agree with "cynical teenager" comment.

cowpops

To be pedantic in turn: How did you know you had flies in your eyes? Surely if you have flies in your eyes you can't see them, because of the flies in your eyes.

<3

I loved this book. I read it a couple months ago. It's hilarious, sad, and it makes you think.

That's the best combo ever.

P

Peejaydee

I thought I'd quickly help balance the debate. Catch 22 was one of the most disappointing novels I've ever read. I still can't quite pin down why. It took me 3 attempts and no small amount of determination to drive myself through it.

I think it just bored me rigid in the end. Possibly it was how much I'd heard about it being a classic and hilarious and all the other descriptions out there. I expected to be enthralled by it from the first page. Imagine how gutted I was when I was over a third of the way through it and it was still sh1t. I think I also didn't get why people wouldn't be as cynical as Heller and Yossarian are/were - being a confirmed cynic myself.

I've kept it and will try again when the bad memories fade.

hahah
this is one of the funniest books ever written. its classic. & best enjoyed when the pages are browning and tearing on a boring sunday.

my fave part is the chefs that go in search of the ingrediants. i love that idea.
& the editing of the other peoples letters is just too funny.

I love it when people dont like this book. im not going to say why. i just do :D

have you read god knows! yet? i have it at home somewhere but iv still not got around to reading it.

alanmt

WF Veterans
I love this book as well - so much brilliance!

"The Eternal City" has got to be one of my favorite chapters of any book I have ever read.