Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

casual unrelated stuff. (1 Viewer)

Selorian

Patron
Is that a congregation of three, or two and a priest? What denomination is it? Roman Catholics go for Magnificent on the whole. Do they have Anglicans in Kentucky? I suppose that might be the entire Kentucky Anglican community even. Wait a min. Druid posted, maybe it is a mini-henge.

So frustrating, enough to tickle the taste buds but nothing to get your teeth into. (I can smell dinner is almost ready)

There's an American Stonehenge in Salem, NH, a short drive from me. I've been there and there's not much to it, the alpacas they keep are more interesting than the site itself.

Unfortunately, the book doesn't give any information beyond the useless fact. They don't even give the name. I was heading to bed when I posted, so didn't get a chance to do any research.

I'll do that now ... or after breakfast. :cookie: (I'm not having cookies for breakfast, there's no emoji for eating waffles)

There is Carhenge in Alliance, Nebraska. I visited it on the way to South Dakota. It was much less crowded than Mount Rushmore.

Here is a thought... If you lead a horse to water and wait long enough that he drinks, does it count as making him?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
There’s a Cadillac henge on Route 66 west of Amaretto Tx. Lots of weird stuff on Route 66.

ETA. I’ve visited American Stonehenge too. Interesting but mostly meh.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Newgrange in Ireland is impressive. It is around a thousand years older than Stonehenge and consists of a massive mound contained by huge decorated stones called 'kerb stones'. The most impressive one is in front of the entrance, which leads to a passage of massive standing stones ending in a chamber. The archaeologist who originally investigated it was a student at the time, his home was nearby and he worked during the holidays. Home for Christmas he had got up early and was working by a lamp in the chamber when it suddenly lit up, there is a sort of 'fanlight' above the entrance and the whole thing is aligned so that for a few days around the winter solstice the rising sun shines directly through it , down the passage, and illuminates the chamber. There is a free lottery every year to allow a limited number of people in to see it. It is amazing to think they were doing this stuff in the East of Ireland before the Egyptians were even raising pyramids.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Newgrange in Ireland is impressive. It is around a thousand years older than Stonehenge and consists of a massive mound contained by huge decorated stones called 'kerb stones'. The most impressive one is in front of the entrance, which leads to a passage of massive standing stones ending in a chamber. The archaeologist who originally investigated it was a student at the time, his home was nearby and he worked during the holidays. Home for Christmas he had got up early and was working by a lamp in the chamber when it suddenly lit up, there is a sort of 'fanlight' above the entrance and the whole thing is aligned so that for a few days around the winter solstice the rising sun shines directly through it , down the passage, and illuminates the chamber. There is a free lottery every year to allow a limited number of people in to see it. It is amazing to think they were doing this stuff in the East of Ireland before the Egyptians were even raising pyramids.
I’ve visited Newgrange and the site’s around Bru Na Boine and agree it’s a stunning and magical place. I also took language and archeological courses in Glencolmcill, Donegal. There are Neolithic stone tombs there shaped like boats; no one knows who built them.