Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

casual unrelated stuff. (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
There is a football club in Sheffield called Sheffield Wednesday, strange name? Back in the eighteen hundreds a group of men that got Wednesdays off started a cricket club, the Wednesday cricket club, they were successful for a while, then someone suggested they should play football through the winter to stay fit, and the football club persisted when the cricket club faded away.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Okay, so various things.
Any species has to keep mutating in order to stay up with the competition.

Variations in things like virus can be in competition with each other.

Killing the host is not advantageous to a virus, it needs the host to reproduce.

Being highly contagious and symptom free is highly advantageous.

We do not know why, but we do know that covid is often symptom free, it is also highly contagious, would it be possible to develop a form which was always symptom free and then provide the conditions for widespread infection and transmission, aerosols in public places, you know. Would that a. dominate the other varieties, or b. give people immunity to other variants, rather than vaccinating them, infect them.

Hmm. there could be a plot there.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
So today the chancellor of the exchequer presented his budget. Way back when the King collected monies from his Lords the man who worked out what everybody owed had a chequered tablecloth that he did the reckoning on by putting tokens on the squares and moving them around, a bit similar to using an abacus. And that is why it got called 'The exchequer'.

Irwin

There seems to be no escaping the scourge, the ingrown toenails of society that permeate every nook and cranny, sometimes hidden for weeks or even months, but then, there they are, out from under the rock, the slimy creatures that serve no purpose but to destroy all that is good in the world. Online, we can use the ignore button as a pesticide, but they're still there; we just no longer see them, but their stench lingers on.

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
There seems to be no escaping the scourge, the ingrown toenails of society that permeate every nook and cranny, sometimes hidden for weeks or even months, but then, there they are, out from under the rock, the slimy creatures that serve no purpose but to destroy all that is good in the world. Online, we can use the ignore button as a pesticide, but they're still there; we just no longer see them, but their stench lingers on.

you rang?
*be well*
;)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Foxee quoted "Olly Olly oxen free!" at me in the 'Ban the person above' thread

There is a South London shout and response you hear at large gatherings like festivals every so often which goes,

Olly Olly Olly

Oi Oi Oi

Olly

Oi

Olly

Oi

Olly Olly Olly

Oi Oi Oi

I have a theory that it is a folk memory. In the days before uniforms rallying shouts were common in armies to let you know who your side were and bring them together. I reckon it dates from Cromwell and the Civil War. South London and Kent was a hotbed of republicans, they were called 'roundheads' because of the 'skinhead' hairstyle adopted by the London apprentices who were one of his mainstays.

druid12000

I got 'The Totally Awesome Book of Useless Information' for Christmas, so here's a useless fact:

The smallest church in the world is located in Kentucky. It can hold three people.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I got 'The Totally Awesome Book of Useless Information' for Christmas, so here's a useless fact:

The smallest church in the world is located in Kentucky. It can hold three people.

Is that a congregation of three, or two and a priest? What denomination is it? Roman Catholics go for Magnificent on the whole. Do they have Anglicans in Kentucky? I suppose that might be the entire Kentucky Anglican community even. Wait a min. Druid posted, maybe it is a mini-henge.

So frustrating, enough to tickle the taste buds but nothing to get your teeth into. (I can smell dinner is almost ready)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator

I thought the smallest church was in Northern Ireland, Country Antrim, near Portbraddan. Wait... just looked it up, looks like it was torn down.

druid12000

Is that a congregation of three, or two and a priest? What denomination is it? Roman Catholics go for Magnificent on the whole. Do they have Anglicans in Kentucky? I suppose that might be the entire Kentucky Anglican community even. Wait a min. Druid posted, maybe it is a mini-henge.

So frustrating, enough to tickle the taste buds but nothing to get your teeth into. (I can smell dinner is almost ready)

There's an American Stonehenge in Salem, NH, a short drive from me. I've been there and there's not much to it, the alpacas they keep are more interesting than the site itself.

Unfortunately, the book doesn't give any information beyond the useless fact. They don't even give the name. I was heading to bed when I posted, so didn't get a chance to do any research.

I'll do that now ... or after breakfast. :cookie: (I'm not having cookies for breakfast, there's no emoji for eating waffles)