Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

casual unrelated stuff. (1 Viewer)

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
So sometimes I think of stuff that isn't really related to anything, but seems sort of relevant, and here is somewhere to put such things.

For example I was looking at River Rose's signature and thinking in a way there was a bit of those things in every girl (and a lot of boys River, you'd be surprised) who had something about them. And it made me think of ancient systems of seeing people in terms of the various 'Humours' and how much of each one they had in them. And that made me think of having a sort of personal list like Rose's signature and rating characters according to it.

or

Looking at that it is interesting how hs work by seeing systems, when physical reality is chaotic, in the sense that all possible combinations exist in the real world and man gets by by restricting himself to a few of them.

or

hs for homo sapiens is a great substitute for 'mankind' put a possessive apostrophe, hs' is the perfect substitute for his or hers in the general situation.

or ... go on, you have a go, it doesn't have to be related to what I have said. It doesn't even have to be now, come back when the thought you had won't fit anywhere and probably won't make a thread.

Just a suggestion, you can post something now if you want, this thread has very few rules beyond the normal ones of personal privacy and decency.

River Rose

It’s interesting living in a world of “rules”. I knew this as a little girl. I could not
understand it. I was so confused. Why I was back here again. I knew of reincarnation from the time I knew how to speak. I remember the day I asked my mom. She was cleaning a window. I was about 5. I told her I was reincarnated and I wanted to know why. I told her I could not go to church anymore bc they were lying. I knew at that point I was alone. No one would understand me. I would have to live my life in an incubator of what I knew. I was a little girl,,,and I knew things I should not know. I could hear people’s thoughts. I could feel what they were feeling. So I isolated myself. My mind exploding w imagination. Creating a world of my own. I would swing all day long. Make up songs. I would rock to sooth myself.
I still rock. This world is to loud for me. Is why I retreat to the forest. This incarnation has been hard. Very difficult. I am strong. I will learn these lessons. I am determined to. I will b hiking the Camino in 7 years. I am clearing up lifetimes of Karma. I am seeking forgiveness also peace for my soul. So when I return home,,,they will let me stay. I have a tattoo on my forearm of the coordinates of where I will return to. Just for a fail safe. In case they forget. Don’t forget me here. I am just a passenger in time. Passing thru. Until I return home.

Bloggsworth

I have no problem with rules as long as they are sensible, things like banning "Amen" because m & e & n are in the word when it wasn't even a reference to men are stupid, it just puts people's backs up - Sorry, shouldn't have mentioned it. The momentum of the moment seems driven by sleights percieved rather than real.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
My mate lived in Brixton, I was visiting, we spoke of brass bands, I mentioned The Black Dike Band, my friend leaped on it; "Shh. do you want to get killed, you can't talk like that round here!"

Bloggsworth

My mate lived in Brixton, I was visiting, we spoke of brass bands, I mentioned The Black Dike Band, my friend leaped on it; "Shh. do you want to get killed, you can't talk like that round here!"

Dykes get very upset if you get it wrong - all that water and nowhere to go...

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Just speaking casually and unrelated to anything else, I'm not related to anyone here. Not that that is in any way relative.

Hector

A bad day (definition): The period that begins when one is born and ends when they die. For the sake of convenience, it is conceptually separated into 24 hour long periods called just 'days'. But, essentially, they're the same thing.

Hector

It’s interesting living in a world of “rules”. I knew this as a little girl. I could not
understand it. I was so confused. Why I was back here again. I knew of reincarnation from the time I knew how to speak. I remember the day I asked my mom. She was cleaning a window. I was about 5. I told her I was reincarnated and I wanted to know why. I told her I could not go to church anymore bc they were lying. I knew at that point I was alone. No one would understand me. I would have to live my life in an incubator of what I knew. I was a little girl,,,and I knew things I should not know. I could hear people’s thoughts. I could feel what they were feeling. So I isolated myself. My mind exploding w imagination. Creating a world of my own. I would swing all day long. Make up songs. I would rock to sooth myself.
I still rock. This world is to loud for me. Is why I retreat to the forest. This incarnation has been hard. Very difficult. I am strong. I will learn these lessons. I am determined to. I will b hiking the Camino in 7 years. I am clearing up lifetimes of Karma. I am seeking forgiveness also peace for my soul. So when I return home,,,they will let me stay. I have a tattoo on my forearm of the coordinates of where I will return to. Just for a fail safe. In case they forget. Don’t forget me here. I am just a passenger in time. Passing thru. Until I return home.

One of these days, I'll write on the Non Fiction section the story of how I stopped being a Christian. You will love it.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The Tower of London is pretty some parts more than others, and has developed superstitions. One is that when the Ravens leave the tower is when things will crumble, that means all the tourists want to see ravens and they get a lot of attention, only the tourists haven't been coming. Seems the ravens are getting bored and going further afield than usual, and Merlina the head one hasn't been back for ages. There are still seven of them there though, the raven keepers are not panicking 'til it gets below six.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I suspect that there are more words (in English) to describe the sun setting than to describe its rising. Aside from colors and atmospheric effects at least.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I suspect that there are more words (in English) to describe the sun setting than to describe its rising. Aside from colors and atmospheric effects at least.
Could be because most people are still in bed at dawn, but are still up for sunset.

There was a question in a quiz on the bx the other day, what was the period of first light before the sun rose called, and they said 'dawn', I thought it was 'prime' and dawn was when the sun first showed above the horizon.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Could be because most people are still in bed at dawn, but are still up for sunset.

There was a question in a quiz on the bx the other day, what was the period of first light before the sun rose called, and they said 'dawn', I thought it was 'prime' and dawn was when the sun first showed above the horizon.
Never heard 'prime' for that before.

I figured pretty much the same, the setting sun affected what people did more than the dawning sun did so there were more words for it.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I came across it reading an account of the Battle of Lewes which was Henry III against the Barons in the 1260's. The baron's army had marched overnight and some movement on high ground was seen by lookouts at prime, but the first hostilities started when foragers sent out by the Royalists were attacked at dawn. That made me follow it up. It was probably in my old compact edition of the OED, cost me a fortune 50 odd years ago but I thought 'It will last a lifetime', no concept of the internet.

Bloggsworth

What is it with desighner's of DAB radios that they can't make their operation simple. During the night I sometimes listen to the cricket commetary on Five Live Sport Extra; the other night I left it on the channel when it finished. Later I switched on and all I got was "Standing By" abd whichever selection of buttons I pressed, it wouldn't wake up. I switched it on and off several times, disconnected the power but to no avail. A few hours later I switched it on in another attempt to kick-start it and, to my annoyance it fired up immediately with a report on the South Africa Pakistan match - It seems that, if the channel you were listening to ceases transmission while it's off it goes into stand by until the station becomes live again, so I immediately changed it to another channel which is live 24/7.

And that's not all, if I want to switch station it requires at least 3 separate operations - Click pre-sets, rotate the knob, one click at a time, through to the station you want, then press "Select." Now, during this process the radio is not "live" so you have to select each station in turn, listen and decide if it's the station you want, and if not, go through the whole process again. Of course, during the night, you have to switch the light on, put your spectacles on, press the "light" switch on the top to the level you want so you can read the dial... What kind of idiot designer ignored the simple idea of a row of buttons on the front edge so you could count along and think "Four, yes, that's the one I want..."

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Bernie stopped by before the inauguration. I told him his mittens were the bomb and he would be the next hit. Everyone would want him, I said, just not for President. So he climbed up on my shoulder to give me a peck on my cheek, but his face mask got in the way.

bernie4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread