Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cartoon scripts (1 Viewer)

BallerGamer

Can someone tell me how one would do a script for a cartoon? What I'm looking for is how you write the exaggerations or comical effects of a cartoon. Specifically in anime, like when people fall down comically because something obvious happens, or when people comically race a mile and back in less than a second to acquire a certain object they forgot.

mammamaia

scripts for animated films are written the same as live action screenplays... the only difference is that the characters may be described more specifically and there will probably be more detailed action description...

everything is the same as regards format and writing style... you need to write action clearly and succinctly, as you would in any film... only, in an animated film, it's not ONLY the director who frames the shots and decides how the actors will perform, but a combo of the writer [you] and the director... that doesn't mean you can add camera directions, though, since there is no 'normal' camera...

BallerGamer

So basically, the writer has more of an involvement in the film over writers who write scripts for live action screenplays? It sounds harder, but it'd also probably be more fun :D

BallerGamer

On a side but still related note, can someone point to me some good scripts with detailed fight scenes? I have a hard time writing fight scenes without sounding too boring and repetitive.

mammamaia

So basically, the writer has more of an involvement in the film over writers who write scripts for live action screenplays?

...in a way, but remember, there will still be a director... and the director will always have the say over the writer, about what gets drawn/shown...

It sounds harder, but it'd also probably be more fun :grin:

...a bit different, not necessarily harder... if you're a good screenwriter, you can be a good animated feature writer...