Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Cap question (1 Viewer)

maryvan

New to forum so posted this elsewhere (probably wrong spot) before I discovered this thread. My new novel takes place in 1943 in a motor court. How should I write names of individual units? Bungalow Four or bungalow four? Is there a rule?
Thanks for your help.

luckyscars

WF Veterans
How should I write names of individual units? Bungalow Four or bungalow four? Is there a rule?

You answered the question. Proper nouns (i.e. names) are capitalized.

If it was bungalow four that would imply nobody called it by such, that it was just the fourth bungalow. If it's unique identifier is Bungalow Four, it's capitalized.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
My instinct would be to go for caps. I had a look at some adverts for accommodation in them to see what they say, but they capitalise everything, Queen Rooms, Standard Rooms. We don't have them so much over here, but maybe you can find some reviews for something local to you, see what they do.

maryvan

I've couldn't find anything definitive, which is why I decided to ask the forum. I've tried writing it out both ways, and Bungalow Four seems a little much, but bungalow four doesn't seem right either. So I think I'll take your suggestion and go with caps. Thanks

I tried it both ways. Your suggestion is a good one. I think I'll go with caps.

Last edited by a moderator:

maryvan

That's the thing of it...why I decided to ask the forum. Take the example, "She walked across to Bungalow Four." There is nothing on the unit that identifies it as Bungalow Four, but I need to identify its place in the row of bungalows. At one point a character could either say, "Did you hear Six is empty again" or would she say "did you hear six is empty again?" It's a small thing but it's bugging me.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I don't know what it's for as I had the sound muted, but there was an advert with a guy stood at his front door dressed as a Roman Emperor. The house number behind him is XII. nice touch. I was thinking it could be 'Bungalow four', but I think you are right Bloggsworth, numbers in addresses are always numerals.