Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

can anybody recommend any collections? (1 Viewer)

bwhite55

any good collections of short fiction stories from different writers and stuff? i'm tryin to "broaden my horizon" so to speak.

strangedaze

some o my favorites...

Rust and Bone by Craig Davidson (lots about boxing, dogfighting, and other 'manly' affairs)

Natasha and Other Stories by David Bezmozgis (highly recommended, one of my favorite books ever; about a Latvian Jewish family of immigrants)

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (won the Pulitzer)

When X Equals Marylou by Tamas Dobozy (very quirky stories, but fun to read)

East West by Salman Rushdie (same deal as above)

Nine Stories by JD Salinger (understated, subtle, very different from the above few but definitely worth a read, esp A Perfect Day for Bananafish)

Sundown

Any of the short story collections by Bradbury are golden, IMO.

Also 'Legends', edited by Robert Silverberg. It had stories by Stephen King, George R. R. Martin, Orson Scott Card, and several others. Great stuff.

Rob

bwhite55 said:
any good collections of short fiction stories from different writers and stuff? i'm tryin to "broaden my horizon" so to speak.
You mean collections by more than one author? Try some of the following:

- The Best of McSweeney's Vols 1 & 2, edited by Dave Eggers
- Parenthesis, edited by Ra Page
- Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules, edited by David Sedaris
- The National Short Story Prize 2007 (and 2006 if you can find it)
- Underwords, The Hidden City, edited by Maggie Hamand (Booktrust London Short Story Competition Anthology)
- Telling Tales, edited by Nadine Gordimer (proceeds in aid of HIV/AIDS)
- Granta 97 Best of Young American Novelists 2
- The Oxford Book of English Short Stories, edited by A S Byatt

Cheers,
Rob