Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Brexit. Discussion Only. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

escorial

WF Veterans
Going to a book launch talk tomorrow by Mr Parkinson about his sequel to Liverpool on the brink
IMG_20190618_190552782.jpg
He will be discussing brexit

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
Just watched the TV debate..I think they should build a playschool at number 10

Haven't seen it yet but did record it and noticed in passing a short live portion with the sound turned off, which may be the best way to view it. Why did they put them on those high chairs, or was that also indicative of their childishness? If they'd been women then the sight might have been worth seeing, but the legs of men wearing suits aren't visually attractive. Also the chairs themselves had incredibly thin legs, which gave the impression that the men were hovering in the air. Maybe that was to signify that anyone able to sort out this mess should equally be able to levitate, let alone walk on water.

escorial

WF Veterans
These people have so many people advising them on image,body posture...all that stuff an as soon as it kicks of it all goes out the window..you could have put them on any format and five men would carried on as they did...after their supporters start with he,won,he said...embarrassing to watch

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
t the legs of men wearing suits aren't visually attractive.
But probably a considerable improvement on the legs of the same men not wearing suits. Heard a bit on the radio driving home, a question from a schoolgirl about what they intended to do about the environmental issues. They all said they would put it at the centre of their policy, avoided making any commitment at all, and then bigged themselves up with no reference to it.

a politician is an arse upon which everybody has sat except a man, ee cummings

escorial

WF Veterans
King Boris closer to his coronation
JHunt will prob wallup him in the debates but it's not what the country chooses..it's what the Tory party members desire...

Last edited:

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
Who leads the Conservative party and who is Prime Minister is apparently irrelevant when the key issue is that parliament is in a state of stalemate. All it is now apparently capable of doing is voting not to do things, which is not its purpose. Even when it asks us what to do it then votes not to do them. There have been demands in parliament to exclude the possibility of a no deal Brexit. In other words they even want to vote not to do nothing. If they won't agree to doing anything and won't agree to doing nothing either then what's left?

In chess stalemate is just one way to cause a draw. Another is to repeat the same moves with the same results over and over. Well, I think we've already encountered that approach. No wonder the thought behind Brexit was to get our sovereignty back. At least a sovereign might just decide what to do. Someone said that currently we need another Winston Churchill, but what we actually need is a constitution that empowers such a person. First one must create the role and then find the person to fill it. Whoever is chosen as PM, if they aren't allowed to pursue their strategy then they will serve no useful purpose.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Love or hate her, Maggie Thatcher in her early days as PM would have got the job done. The men just don't seem to have the b****s

escorial

WF Veterans
I thought EU was gonna fall over backwards to keep the UK in but they rallied and stuck to it...still think there is a danger once brexit happens a few cracks might appear..so how do the UK leave..I think now Maybot(hindsight)...kept the UK stuck with EU regs and over the years negotiated the country out was a sensible deal...so it's prob best to kiss the EU arse and say we'll take it...which could give time for a centerist party to evolve and replace one or both of the main two...

Reactions: PiP

escorial

WF Veterans
Was going to African fest but the hustings was to much to watch later...Boris just finished an ian Dale was excellent at questions..for me he can sell snow to Eskimos but no substance ...

escorial

WF Veterans
Interesting the way Boris touched on drug taking.. promted about middle classes breaking the law and county lines which is basically the same...I'm shocked how immagration has been so low on the agenda and that is because middle England has yet to feel threatened by it like county lines...JH handled cost cutting in the NHS with openess and his constant tirade on Corbin is a bit naff...

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
I think they are playing down the immigration angle because that had been one of the debunked claims that led to the referendum in the first place. Proponents had flooded the net with claims that it would solve the UKs immigration problems, even though it will actually result in Britain shouldering the full bill for their own immigration policy enforcement. As part of the EU, they share some expensive resources (computers, databases, access...) but that all goes away with Brexit.

Really, from across the pond, it seemed like immigration was the driving factor in voting to leave the EU. At this end I saw it in media and discussions all over the place. I was actually pretty surprised by the degree of the sentiment.

escorial

WF Veterans
the Polish invasion...eastern European was massive and along with globalisation depressed working class wages and not middle class wages which has increased since austerity in the UK...Poland is doing just fine since joining the EU and fair deal...the working class in the UK don't travel abroad for jobs like the middle classes...they do when they have to..

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
Jeremy Hunt strikes me as a regular procedural person who is likely to take us down the now familiar routes into the same dead end. In contrast Boris Johnson seems more likely to make a leap of faith that will get us somewhere else. Whether that will be a good place to be or not nobody can tell yet, but at least it will give us somewhere to go next.

In my working life I was frequently the leap of faith guy who often got the problem solved when the procedural guys couldn't and had given up, so I am naturally inclined to favour Boris's style. It's the same pantser versus planner issue that we encounter here in writing. There are situations that favour different approaches and so far the planners haven't got anywhere with Brexit, so maybe another one won't do any better. I think that visionaries may often showcase their more erratic side in an attempt to get their message over, but that doesn't mean that they are incompetent when it comes down to the associated planning aspects. Of course it is the Conservative party, so perhaps visionary thinking isn't really their thing, but their thing doesn't seem to be doing them a lot of good at present anyway, as Boris observed I believe.

escorial

WF Veterans
Keep what you have or try summit knew..how does one evaluate such a thing..if you ain't got a pot to piss in hold on if you feel you can do better than mum an dad..go for it..the BBC is the most middle class nationalised industry left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread