Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Brexit. Discussion Only. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

escorial

WF Veterans
If only they had built Disney Land Europe in wiltshire and let the locals welcome visitors instead of getting coach loads of European migrants on a one way ticket to Wilshire land..

JustRob

FoWF
WF Veterans
That as you chose them any might have seemed equally appropriate.

Ah, you assume that we chose the music in our library rather than having been given the CDs and loaded them into our server wholesale. Sometimes we wonder where on earth the library acquired a tune when the system plays it. A music library is much like a library of books. As I also buy books in second hand lots I have some that I haven't read and some that I didn't particularly enjoy but still own. Our music system has a skip button on the remote control, so we can veto its decision to play an item without removing it from the library. Hence those 2500 tunes don't necessarily represent our preferences. In fact for example there are very few songs by the Beatles that I would choose to hear. I wasn't impressed by them in the 1960s and still am not.

Interestingly this is connected with the currently active thread The Importance of Meaninglessness. I suggested that the system's choice of music at that moment was meaningful when in fact it only seemed to be. That other thread discusses how readers may infer more than the writer intended and how one can avoid that happening. Not by long explanations like the one above obviously.

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Honey, when you start getting advice about life from pop songs you are one step away from holding your trousers up with string and keeping ferrets in your hat.

I'm getting a smug tingle as the phone ins are populated by holiday makers who are pissed at the climate worry-mongers who are heading for Heathrow. Suck it up dudes, after Brexit you won't be flying anyway. Yuckty yuk yuk....
Ah, you assume that we chose the music in our library rather than having been given the CDs and loaded them into our server wholesale. Sometimes we wonder where on earth the library acquired a tune when the system plays it. A music library is much like a library of books. As I also buy books in second hand lots I have some that I haven't read and some that I didn't particularly enjoy but still own. Our music system has a skip button on the remote control, so we can veto its decision to play an item without removing it from the library. Hence those 2500 tunes don't necessarily represent our preferences. In fact for example there are very few songs by the Beatles that I would choose to hear. I wasn't impressed by them in the 1960s and still am not.

Interestingly this is connected with the currently active thread The Importance of Meaninglessness. I suggested that the system's choice of music at that moment was meaningful when in fact it only seemed to be. That other thread discusses how readers may infer more than the writer intended and how one can avoid that happening. Not by long explanations like the one above obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: PiP

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
The Cult of Nigel is careering along, the lack of rationality makes no difference. Like all cults this will end in tears.

Reactions: PiP

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
But I think this is really a better summary of the situation:
ContentBroker_contentid-59fe3e1450c341e0832a2240133bdb07.png

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
I imagine it more like sawing your own leg off without anaesthetic. "It's fine, I use the other one to play soccer with."

We have gone beyond parody into the looking glass world of newspaper logic: My cat has four legs, all cats have four legs. Your dog has four legs, therefore your dog is a cat.

What baffles me is how many are being suckered by this...

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
If a dog's born in a stable that doesn't make it a horse..
If he barks enough he will become a little hoarse. Bumtish.
And so, we now enter the world of spin doctor cycling. The EU elections are both a joke and a serious problem. I can't discuss them with my wife or it will be the end of my marriage. The cult of Nigel is a monster that will never die, even when the facts deny its reason for existence. He is leading us to the edge of the volcano and promising a better afterlife. Just jump with your eyes closed and believe. May God protect us all....

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Margaret Thatcher had more balls than this lot.

Looking into my crystal ball...

Someone will be appointed as new PM. Their deal will fail, there will be an election and Nigel will become PM.

Time to buy shares in a milkshake company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread