Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (1 Viewer)

Has anyone read this book? I've just finished reading it. Thought-provoking stuff. I quite didn't get the last page- does John, the "Savage" commit suicide at the end?

Anarkos

Very good book.

Starrwriter - Can someone really blame a generation as skullfucked from birth as mine for high drug use? Is meth really all that much worse than other drugs which lead often to violence...such as alcohol?

Fuck it. I'm Edge. Don't tar the youth with one brush.

Hodge

pliable
Meth leads to violence as well. Have you ever seen a guy go on a speed crash? Stay away.

Anarkos

Hodge - Not disputing that, but simply pointing out that it's far from alone.

Starrwriter - I don't believe in the concept of "good" narcotics. Even weed. While you say it "helped" I would disagree...unless helping involves causing paranoia (which often leads to violence) and dulling of the wits.

Now, my generation's issues: Environmental collapse, spectre of AIDS, babysitting-via-TV/computer, threat of "terrorism", endless vague wars on abstract nouns, mass-market plastic culture, unprecedented divorce rates and levels of single parenting, blah, blah.

Ejp414

The first fifty pages or so of that book just blew my mind. After that, it seemed to lose its magic, but I still found it to be a great book with amazing concepts to ponder.

The Evincar

One of my favorite pieces of dystopian literature...A bit awkard at points, but still a great book from Orwell's mentor. Who's to say it's not utopia if practically everyone's happy, programmed to be happy or not, they don't know better, mostly. :D

Anyway, "Island", "The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell", and a few other books of his were quite nice too, can't remember all their names at the moment.

Spudley

Brave New World. One of the best pieces of early science fiction. The really impressive thing about it is that it was written in the 1920s, but it hasn't dated at all. The scientific elements he described are even more real now than they were when he wrote it, and the dystopian society he created is utterly plausible and believable. And - if you stop to think about it - very scary.

I did a comparative study of BNW vs 1984 when I was in high school. It's probably about time I re-read them both.

strangedaze

I don't understand why it is dystopic. Give me happy pills when I am sad, sex with everyone when I'm horny, and I'm a happy camper. ;)

Trilock

I remember reading this book when I was a senior in high school and was simply blown away as well. It's a good, futuristic take on the Hindu Caste system, imposed on "civil" society--in which he also wrote an introduction to a version I have of the Bhagavad-Gita.

PaPa

The thing is, if you think about the society described resonably, it works - everyone is happy. Those who aren't happy are either sent away to live with others of their kind or elevated to high office. Some people are deliberately given lower status, but they are made to enjoy their menial work and not want more brains - they are just as happy as the Alphas.

The moral of my argument is that being reasonable isn't always the best course.