Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Books you'd never read (or finish) (1 Viewer)

assassin

If you read a lot, be it one genre or many, you're eventually doomed to come across a book that makes you wanna run screaming out the door (okay, just wince). Maybe you've only read the cover or a perhaps sentence in before putting it back on the shelf.
I know I've done it, so what books have made your 'never read' list and why?

Mine:
Eragon by Christopher Paolini - I skimmed the back of the first book when the movie came out. Watched the movie (which was great in the special effects, but poor in other areas). However, after reading all the Pern books by both McCaffrey and her son, I can't get over how similar the dragons are. And the plot kinda reminded me of Eddings' Belgariad series. Someone gimme that damn Paolini, I want his head!

All Harry Potter books by JK Rowling - I like the idea and I'll watch the movies. Just keep the books away from me.

A Game of Thrones by George Martin - Call me weird, but I like my medieval based books to not have 'fuck' in them. I find it jolting. To be fair, I did try and give this one a good long chance, reading at least three chapters before taking it back in disgust.

Johnna

Island of the Blue Dolphins and Of Mice and Men: I've read them both for school, but I would never, ever read them again. I just... didn't like them at all.

What's wrong with Harry Potter? The books are so much better than the movies.

E

Edgewise

"Lolita" by Nabokov. His other work enthralls me, but the concept of "Lolita" just disturbs me...Nabokov may be a pedophile altogether, judging by the way he describes a particular child in "Invitation to a Beheading".

Dancer Preston

Harry Potter...just doesn't appeal to me.

The only time I'd be touching anything by Nora Roberts or James Patterson is when I'm shelving them (I work in a book store). I find their work the brand name kind read my semi-illiterates, mainly middle class Americans.

Anything by anyone of the Lost Generation. Please, let's just keep them lost. I find their work whiny, simple, predictable, and their themes are those of uncool hippies.

I know people are going to attack me now, but I stand by my opinions. :p

Dancer Preston

oh yeah, and chick lit...i will never read any chick lit. It's a degrading movement (to female writers), sharing the same shame as James Patterson in being produced for the sake of money not the art, as well as Nora Roberts for their unoriginality--c'mon, all chick lit focuses on are wealthy white women climbing the social ladder while complaining about her accessories, all the time thinking they're witty.

Shawn

WF Veterans
"Lolita" by Nabokov. His other work enthralls me, but the concept of "Lolita" just disturbs me...Nabokov may be a pedophile altogether, judging by the way he describes a particular child in "Invitation to a Beheading".

You're missing a masterpiece.

I would never touch eragon... even with a fifty foot pole.

And Lord Jim... never again, Conrad... never again.

Shawn

WF Veterans
oh yeah, and chick lit...i will never read any chick lit. It's a degrading movement (to female writers), sharing the same shame as James Patterson in being produced for the sake of money not the art, as well as Nora Roberts for their unoriginality--c'mon, all chick lit focuses on are wealthy white women climbing the social ladder while complaining about her accessories, all the time thinking they're witty.

What about Bridget Jones' Diary... that was a good one. She's not infallible or gorgeous, either.

Rob

Chick-lit isn't a book, it is (for want of a better word) a genre, or sub-genre. Running down a genre you don't read is pretty pointless. Some readers want art and some want pulp. Bless 'em.

Cheers,
Rob

Chris Stevenson

I haven't ready any of the Potter books and would like to out of curiosity. For the world-building and terminology.

I've never got through Herbert's Dune, and I know that I should have. Way to too much politics for me. I wanted more worm action, which was fairly sparse.

I almost gave up on The Stand, the long version. I did finally make it through, in bits and pieces. Took me nine months.

Chris

S

Scurry Inertia

Childe Morgan by Kathryn Kurtz. Because i couldnt get through its ugly prequel. :p

Rahvin

I've read the Harry Potter books, and would dearly love to never have done it.

Others... most of the classic literature I've read has been utter rubbish (Of Mice and Men, Shakespeare, Great Expectations...), and if I didn't have to read them for college I would never touch them. Ever.

Oh yeah, and poetry. Writing it's fine (even if I never would), but having to study it has left me with a complete and utter loathing for it.

Last edited:

Amour

It's nice to see that, while his work "enthralls" you, you understand nothing of the master responsible for the works, or the works themselves.. What you just said is a main reason that Lolita has been a "banned book".
You're missing a masterpiece.

I would never touch eragon... even with a fifty foot pole.
I second that.
I've read the Harry Potter books, and would dearly love to never have done it.

Others... most of the classic literature I've read has been utter rubbish (Of Mice and Men, Shakespeare, Great Expectations...), and if I didn't have to read them for college I would never touch them. Ever.

Oh yeah, and poetry. Writing it's fine (even if I never would), but having to study it has left me with a complete and utter loathing for it.

Wow. So.. You don't want any part in anything worth reading? // Eragon, Maximum ride (read the first two pages and immediately drove to the book store to return it.. Compelling choices relatives make for presents..) or anything James Patterson has "written", and The secret (Now that's rubbish..).

Last edited:
E

Edgewise

"It's nice to see that, while his work "enthralls" you, you understand nothing of the master responsible for the works, or the works themselves.. What you just said is a main reason that Lolita has been a "banned book". "

Excuse me for not clicking my way to wikipedia to find out whether he is a pedophile or not. It really doesn't matter to me, being that I love his work. Which leads me to my next point...

Who said I don't understand his work? That claim is completely unsubstantiated, especially considered how you don't know me. I won't even begin to adress your outrageous insult comparing me to people who wish to ban books. Did I say I wanted Nabokov, or any other author for that matter, to be banned? Get your head out your ass and read between the lines.

Mike C

WF Veterans
oh yeah, and chick lit...i will never read any chick lit. It's a degrading movement (to female writers),

That's pretty harsh, and inaccurate. You obviously haven't read much, if any. In fact it's only really the 'chick-lit' label that's degrading, as most is about empowering, not degrading, women.

If you want to see just how good - and dark - 'chick lit' can be (although I think Martha would string me up for referring to it as such) then I'd urge you to read 'The Bitch Goddess Posse' (Bitch Goddess Diary in the UK) by Martha O'Connor. It'll change how you think about the genre. I promise.

As for me, I'll read anything; I'm a book junkie. Through choice I wouldn't read any more high fantasy or space opera, Patterson or Clancy, King or Archer, but if there's nothing else available, who knows?

but the concept of "Lolita" just disturbs me...

Then you should read it. Books that disturb are books that stimulate thought.

Users who are viewing this thread