Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Books you would love to see made into a movie (1 Viewer)

S

Skull pilot

Any of the novels by Preston and Child with Aloysius X. L. Pendergast in them.

Particularly Cabinet of Curiosities, Still life With Crows, BrimStone, Dance of Death and Book of the Dead.

The last 3 would make a good series of films. The problem is finding the right guy to play Pendergast. the only guy i think who would be great is Christopher Walken but alas he is a bit too old.

Rabid Euphoria

Alex Garland's "The Tesseract," or "The Coma."

David Mitchell's "Number9Dream."

Another Garland fan eh? Though I've only read 'The Coma' (numerous times) and watch 28 Days Later (numerous times) he's a favourite of mine. Is the Tesseract good? Good news! If, when I'm out of film school, The Coma hasn't been made into a movie I want to make it.

Also, Abrahms and King have been in talks for a Dark Tower movie series. Abrahms, busy currently with Lost, Cloverfield and Star Trek XI hasn't gotten much accomplished.

Books I want to see made in a movie:

Bag of Bongs - Stephen King

Hearts in Atlantis - Stephen King (The movie, Hearts in Atlantis was based off 'Low Men In Yellot Coats', not the story Hearts In Atlantis)

The Theif of Always - Clive Barker

The Ruins - Scott Smith (think it's being done)

Amara-J

* Star Wars Episode 7-9: Not official books, perhaps, but we deserve it after the misrable crap they called Episode 1-3. And that's a fact.

Definitely not official book material nor in direct chronological order. It's a shame, because I think the The Thrawn Trilogy would have been superb movie material. Three books in total, five years after Return of the Jedi, new and well-developed characters, and a great villain. The only problems would be: 1) the necessary inclusion of Luke-Leia-Han... rather impossible at this stage, and 2) selection of content, since the books are pretty thick. :(

Jinjiro

I don't know if this counts as a 'book' exactly, but does anyone else who's a Frank Miller fan think it's about time they got Ronin added to the list of film conversions?

D

Dr. Malone

I'd like to see The Wheel of Time turned into a movie. I can't imagine how it could be done, though. It would probably turn out as awful as Dune. There's so much internal political motives at work, just like Dune. The weaves would have to be really well done not to be cheesy.

I heard a rumor that Kurt Russel may play Roland in the Dark Tower movies. Not sure if that's true, though.

ryangt

I'm still hoping Lucus, goes back and does Shadows of the Empire. He said when the book came out if he had it back before Return of the Jedi he would have made it. Guess I'll cross my fingers for after his TV shows.

Athlynne

Joanna, I heard that "The Other Boleyn Girl" is being made into a movie. I hope it's true, I liked that book.

I'd like to see A.A. Attanasio's Arthur books as films; too many King Arthur films of the last few decades have been disappointments. ("The Mists of Avalon", for example, what a let-down.) I'd love a live-action "The Last Unicorn", now that the technology is good enough to pull it off. Christopher Rice's "A Density of Souls" would make a great film, and Karen Wehrstein's "Lion's Heart" series would be a dream to see on the screen.

<sigh> Alas, sequels and movies about talking animals rule the business of show.

Centurion

Dawn of Empire by Sam Barone would make a good movie, its basically the story of the first village to build a wall to keep out the barbarians set 3000 BC in the Tigris Valley. Blood, sex and tears.

A must read if you like your historical fiction!!

Kion

Terry Pratchett: Mort (In my opinion by far the best book his written) and The Truth (The vampire in it is excellent)
Doug Naylor: Last Human (The best Red Dwarf book ever)
Ian Serraillier: The Silver Sword (Really liked this book as a kid)

kidstaple

I'd really like to see the Hythrun Chronicles by Jennifer Fallon made into a set of movies. That would be awesome.

I'd also like to see George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series made into a set of movies.

A new author, S.C. Butler has a series called Stoneways Trilogy, which would make for an awesome set of movies. I've only read the first two, seeing as they are the only ones out as of now, and can testify for a blow out ending in the third.

Curse

To tell you the truth i would be afraid if they made some of my favorite books into movies. It always ruins the book and they tend to butcher them quite easily. They have already invaded my childhood favorites like the Chronicals of Narnia and Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials Trilogy.

RebelGoddess

None. The books are almost always better than the movies that are based on them.

Agreed, with one small caveat: Bad books should be made into films; it might improve them.

Agreed on both counts.

But if I/the author had complete control it would be a different story.

I would love to see any and all of Jasper Ffordes books made into movies.

I know that'll never happen though, because he's even said that it will never happen unless he has complete control (YAY, him!).

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke also. It's being (been?) made into a movie due out in 2008, but I'd love it see it done exactly to the book.

I'd also LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Monkeewrench (and it's sequels) by P.J. Tracy made into movies. One of the few novels (and movies and tv shows, etc) that kept me guessing most of the way about who the killer was.

I'm sure I could think of many more : ).

-Racheal

L

Lilium

The Pellinor Series by Alison Croggon. *sigh* I never see anyone mention these, or ever known anyone who has read them, too... :(

VinrAlfakyn

Agreed, with one small caveat: Bad books should be made into films; it might improve them.

Perfect example: The Prestige. I read the book after I watched the movie, and the movie was much better.

I would like to see The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce made into movies. Also The Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray. I also think The Witch of Cologne by Tobsha Learner would be a good one.

But my favorites are by Charles de Lint. Someplace To Be Flying, The Onion Girl, Forests of the Heart, etc. If only they could have good animation that way it doesn't look corny.

When I was younger I wanted to make the Swan Lake trilogy by Mark Helprin into a movie (or movies). But I wanted to be the director so that I could keep it/them close to the original stories. I still think they would be good.

Thinking of Mark Helprin reminded me of another of his books: Winter's Tale. That one would be a brilliant movie.

And also The Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon.

Sen Yama

I would like to see The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce made into movies. And also The Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon.

I think ALL of Tamora Peirce's books would make great movies.

I'd like to see Garth Nix books made into movies too.

PageOfCups

Excellant books that have faded into obscurity due to lack of advertising. As long as I've never heard of the book it's fine. If it's one of my favourites I'd hate it. Like The Golden Compass. That movie is aweful and an insult to the book.

assassin

I second Malone: the whole The Wheel of Time books turned into movies. Yeah, it would be a major thing to try (thirteen books in all if you include the one still being written and the 'New Spring' novel). And they'd probably make the weaves into some lame glowing spiderweb-like shit. But imagine if they got it right, I'd watch'em all ... at least thrice =P~

Yes, I'ma WoT nut :-D

And maybe, just maybe ... the Pern novels ... all of them. Ooo, and the Eddings books, Sparhawk first. And the Robin Hobb books: Assassin's and Golden Fool especially ... Ha, now I'm showing my addictions ;)

Last edited: