Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Books that should be required reading (1 Viewer)

krazyklassykat

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I presume most writers share a common desire to share information, experiences, and wisdom with others. When I write, my goal is to make people realize why respect is important, why you should never judge a person before you know them, and that yes, it's true, everybody does hurt.
Two books I think everyone should read are...

Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult
Because people really don't understand the consequences of bullying.

and

The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien
Because it's the closest you can get to understanding the implications of selling yourself to the government without actually doing it.

Anyone else have some books they think everyone should have to read?

ruksak

I think Crime and Punishment as it shows what a book is capable of and how much of an idea can be successfully be embodied in a character.

Overall though, a writer should read a lot. As Samuel Johnson said:
'I never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he has read.'

Joe Moore

krazyklassykat said:
Anyone else have some books they think everyone should have to read?
If you are a writer, these two are invaluable:

On Writing
by Stephen King
The Elements of Style by Strunk & White

Last edited:

Rob

I don't think any book should be required reading for everyone.

krazyklassykat said:
Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult
Because people really don't understand the consequences of bullying.
Apparently some people do. Jodi Picoult did. Maybe you're confused and think everyone has the same lack of understanding od bullying that you did before you read the book.

Cheers,
Rob

Mike C

WF Veterans
Rob said:

Much as I'd like to impose my taste on everyone, I tend to agree. Particularly on books that moralise or preach.

Maybe there should be books that aspiring writers should be required not to read? For instance, fantasy writers should be banned from reading Tolkien and other generic fantasy. Everyone who writes should be encouraged to read not only widely and voraciously, but also outside of their chosen genre.

Der_Parvenu_Meister

while i think most people who arent chaff should read american psycho, for its completely unique and disturbing content, i think anything beats forcing us to read to kill a fucking mockingbird in school.

over and over

heatherlouise

we don't have to read to kill a mockingbird. one we do have to read is Of Men and Mice, but i am not sure if it's a play or a book or what.
as for people having to read a certain book, i don't think they should everyone reads into books how they wish, and what you took away from a certain peice, the next person might not.
Heather

krazyklassykat

Rob said:

Apparently some people do. Jodi Picoult did. Maybe you're confused and think everyone has the same lack of understanding od bullying that you did before you read the book.

Cheers,
Rob
Actually, I've understood it for a loooooong time, and that's why I think the book is so important, because most people don't truly understand the harm in bullying unless they've experienced it. Apparently you have, or you wouldn't be so bitter...

I don't mean to offend anyone or to suggest anyone should try to force their beliefs on anyone else. I just think there are things everyone should know, and the best way to know them without experiencing them is to read about them. That's all. Sort of my version of the crappy lists in magazines and on Myspace that are like "10 things guys should know about girls" or whatever.

Last edited:

Rob

I'm not bitter. The book resonated with you, and that's cool. It won't do that for everyone.

Cheers,
Rob