Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Books for the interview. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
So, imagine you have made it at last, your book is the hottest thing since Hiroshima and the TV company are on their way round to interview you, which books are you going to put on the bookshelf behind your chair, even if you have to go down the library to borrow them :)

Thanks to The Manx for inspiring this in the 'Should we read classics' thread.

https://www.writingforums.com/threa...books/page13?p=2304614&viewfull=1#post2304614

BornForBurning

The Lord of the Rings
The first three books in Eric Hobsbawm's "Age of" series
Dune
The Space Trilogy
The Screwtape Letters
The Man Who Was Thursday
The Napoleon of Notting Hill
Victory in the Pacific
JRR Tolkien's collected essays
My Lovecraft compilation
The Chronicles of Narnia
assorted Max Brand
Jubal Sackett, because that book is special to me despite the fact that it isn't very good.
a Beowulf translation, probably Tolkien's or Heaney's
Mila 18 (gotta have your Jewish historical war fiction)
Descent Into Hell
The Sinking of the Bismarck

Tiamat

Patron
Well this is a difficult question, and I think it depends entirely on what image you want to present of yourself. Like a carefully framed Instagram photo, what would I want these people to perceive about me based on the books I own? I'd probably go for quirky, diverse, with a touch of sophistication. Also, it's probably important to choose books you've actually read just in case they come up in conversation based on their presence.

"The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro
"On the Beach" by Nevil Shute
"The Fifth Extinction" by Elizabeth Kolbert
"If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things" by Jon McGregor
"Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions" by Gloria Steinem
"Dune" by Frank Herbert
"Le Petit Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (original French version)
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury
"All the Ugly and Wonderful Things" by Bryn Greenwood
"The Fifth Season" by N. K. Jemison

Also I should probably hide my Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Or perhaps not. :)

TheManx

Hah. Easy. I'd just use my actual bookshelves. They're are packed with modernist American literature, which is kind of my thing — Steinbeck, Faulkner, Fitzgerald etc. I think the names are familiar enough to bamboozle the average morning show viewer. :)

And Olly, I do have something like those gaudy leather bound books, but not as cheesy. They're from the Library of America, and they're great for short story collections. For example, I have all the original Raymond Carver published collections, but these books put ALL the stories from a particular author one book, so they're handy to grab for inspiration or to take with you on vacation etc. They're a good value too.

https://loa.org/writers?page=2

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Well this is a difficult question, and I think it depends entirely on what image you want to present of yourself. Like a carefully framed Instagram photo, what would I want these people to perceive about me based on the books I own? I'd probably go for quirky, diverse, with a touch of sophistication. Also, it's probably important to choose books you've actually read just in case they come up in conversation based on their presence.

But when I have read a book I get rid of it, no point keeping things you have already read. The books on my shelves are ones that I intend to read, apart from a few reference books like Uncle Fester's guide :)

Tiamat

Patron
But when I have read a book I get rid of it, no point keeping things you have already read. The books on my shelves are ones that I intend to read, apart from a few reference books like Uncle Fester's guide :)
Ah, so Olly is not a re-reader. I am. I always find new things upon re-reading--which maybe means I'm not a thorough reader, but I find that the best books have hidden bits that you appreciate more after you know how everything develops.

MikeDwight

"The Life and Campaigns of Lieut.-Gen. Thomas J. Jackson", R.L. Dabney

"Rebel Yell" S.C. Gwynne
"Diplomatic Cables 1885 US Embassy Korea"
"The Call of Korea" Horace Underwood
"US Census"
"Lord of the Flies"
"Heart of Darkness", Conrad

My book I'm working on Alabama: Kindest Spirit

ppsage

WF Veterans
Ones with very large print on the spine. I've watched a lot of book-background interviews and I always try to read the titles and ninety percent of the time you just can't do it. Dr. Griffin on TWIV takes his four books and puts them on the counter behind him on display stands, which is quite effective if ostentatious.

Status
Not open for further replies.