Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Books for Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Just Me

I got two giftcards to Barnes and Noble: one for $15 and one for $25.

On the gift card v. gift debate, part of me is glad that I get to choose my own books now, but the other part of me wishes that I wasn't left with the decision of WHICH two or three (or if I choose wisely, maybe four) books to buy. When I go to the library I can take out as many books I want but buying books feels so special to me that I need to carefully select which books I want....

Obsessive Compulsive, much?

SadLuckDame

Olly~I bought Alice mostly for myself, as you'll soon see how much I'm taken to living in the strange, but I am reading it a loud with my 7 year old daughter, she too is lapping it up. The only downside to this is that she continues to stop me asking "why was it written that way? When in the MOVIE it was such and such?" Oh sweet child, she will soon discover how movies and books just do not ebb and flow.
Your selection of books for the family are in very nice taste, will stick with them through the years, very agreeable and as to The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, indeed there will be time, and I for one need to learn a stitch of patience, that there will be time. My favorite piece from it is~
And indeed there will be time
To wonder, "Do I dare? and, "Do I dare?"
Time to turn back and descend the stair

And just to add, my favorite poem so far from T.S Eliot has been "Macavity: The mystery Cat". It is so brilliant! I can't help but giggle and have a picture of a friend pop into mind, funny how this friend is the one to have first shown me the poem. As well as "The A-dressing of Cats", what terrific little pieces and humorous how faces pop into mind that fit so well to the descriptions.