Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Books for Adults about Kids (1 Viewer)

crash

I'm just trying to see how other people are doing this. I am looking for books for adults about children, say in an age range of 6 to 13. I already have a pretty nice list, from The Way the Crow Flies to The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, but I'm looking for more. What I want specifically are stories told from the child's point of view but by an adult -- in the third person, say, or in the reminiscent style of To Kill a Mockingbird. What I'm not so much looking for is Ruth May's chapters of The Poisonwood Bible and Vardaman's bits of As I Lay Dying.

Autobiographies that dwell heavily on the author's childhood are great, too.

So far I've got this list:

The Way the Crow Flies
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
To Kill a Mockingbird
Angela's Ashes
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight
Never Let Me Go
The Book Thief
Lord of the Flies
The Diamond Age
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Plot Against America
Oliver Twist (though Dickens' young characters irritate the hell out of me)
The Character of Rain (which I can't find anywhere)
Nowhere in Africa
The Saskiad

Thanks in advance for any good recommendations. I'm scouring Amazon right this moment, but it's a difficult thing to search for.

Hodge

pliable
The God of Small Things
The Client
Ender's Game
Running With the Demon
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

And I'm sure there's more...

Anguirus2005

Battle Royale is the only book I can think of which hasn't been all ready named. Though I guess the kids are a little bit older then 13 years.

Glfralin

If you are looking for something a little darker and sinister, but supposedly true, you may try Sibyl. It deals with a grown woman yes, but the Phychologist is dealing with the child.

Stewart

• Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, Roddy Doyle
  • The God Boy, Ian Cross
  • Carry Me Down, M.J. Hyland
  • In The Country Of Men, Hisham Matar
  • Black Swan Green, David Mitchell