Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Books adapted into TV series? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I've read a book recently based on real life events and I'd love to see it made into a series (it would be too long for a film).

Would you only have to pay once for the rights, and would it be more expensive then if you were going to make it into a film?

Are there any series on TV at the moment that have been adapted from a book?

thanks

ProudestMonkey

Well, it is only ONE book therefore you'd only have to buy it ONCE. I don't think it is nearly as expensive as films, but you still have to be extremely well-off AND have a network/company's "go-ahead". Unless you have your own channel, you need one that will support your endeavor.

I'm sure there have been books made into TV shows. Research it.

mammamaia

Would you only have to pay once for the rights,

...for the right to adapt it only, yes... if it sold, the producer would have to cut a deal with the book's author in re royalties for the ongoing series...

and would it be more expensive then if you were going to make it into a film?

...not necessarily... the author will charge whatever the traffic will bear... and how much s/he can get will largely depend on how well the book sold, how well-known it is...

Are there any series on TV at the moment that have been adapted from a book?

...probably... like the monk said, do your own research...