Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Bonjour from Canada! (1 Viewer)

John C. Denton

Greetings everyone, my name is John. I write, but I cannot be called a "writer" as none of my works are published.
Or complete.
I have been thinking about finding a place like this for a while now. I could really use some like-minded folks to bounce ideas around,
or to get assistance galvanizing the ideas I already have.
I offer my help to any of you with your struggles, too.

I write science fiction. My favourite authors are Arthur C. Clarke (A Space Odyssey series and Childhood's End), John C. Wright (The Golden Age trilogy), Tad Williams (Otherland series), John Wyndham (Day of the Triffids, The Trouble With Lichen, and other works), and Ted Dekker (The Circle Trilogy).
As a child I loved Star Trek and Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica. I watched Dark Matter and Andromeda and Doctor Who with my dad.
I need to start binge watching The Expanse next.
By now I think you've got a pretty good idea of the kinds of things I write, and the ideas floating around in my head.

My pet project is something I've been working on for well over a decade. It's something like Avatar meets V meets the X-Files, but don't think of it in those boxes. It's an original story with some cliche elements. I can't help it. I grew up with the classics.

Other than writing and loving sci fi, I play guitar, I like fishing and seafood, and I've been to Africa.

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Welcome aboard. The Expanse is one of the few half decent series on TV, so we have that in common already! I was a big Dr Who fan too. I still remember hiding behind the settee when the daleks showed up. :)

John C. Denton

Thank you Az!

Speaking of Daleks, I found this last night. I figure your childhood self would enjoy having those fears alleviated.

"Civilizations Too Stupid To Really Exist Episode 05: The Daleks"

I was going to post the youtube link but I need to make 5 more posts first...

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Thank you Az!

Speaking of Daleks, I found this last night. I figure your childhood self would enjoy having those fears alleviated.

"Civilizations Too Stupid To Really Exist Episode 05: The Daleks"

I was going to post the youtube link but I need to make 5 more posts first...

LOL. Yeah, they weren't the best thought through alien race out there. 'If it hadn't been for those darned curbs'! Perhaps that's why there was a push to put ramps everywhere? It was a dastardly plan by those Dalek geezers.

John C. Denton

They guy critiquing them in the video said something like "They were outmatched by the simplest of human inventions: Stairs."
And... they reload by saying "Exterminate?" What???

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome! A fellow SciFi writer here.

Have you ever read the Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke? It's the inspiration for 2001: A Space Odyssey. You can find and read it on the internet.

Last edited:

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
Bonjour mon ami, les gens mangent-ils vraiment de la poutine? Comme vous nous avez accueillis en français, êtes-vous du Québec?

John C. Denton

Bonjour mon ami, les gens mangent-ils vraiment de la poutine? Comme vous nous avez accueillis en français, êtes-vous du Québec?

Ehem

Bonjour, common-sava? Oui, je manger la poutine. Mon francais est... mal. Je viens d'Ontario, mais je suis ale a l'ecole d'immersion francaise. I had to use google translate for the last sentence.

John C. Denton

Welcome! A fellow SciFi writer here.

Have you ever read the Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke? It's the inspiration for 2001: A Space Odyssey. You can find and read it on the internet.

I have not :( I found a short story by... Orwell? Or H.G Wells... I forget. It's about a proposed "future history" of humanity after world war 2, and it goes all the way
to the far future where we meet aliens and become different species ourselves over millions of years. Come to think of it I don't believe it was written by Orwell or Wells, but
some small, obscure author.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
So a search for 'arthur c clarke sentinel'.
For a bonus, also look for 'arthur c clarke superiority'.
Both short stories are online and free to read.

druid12000

Welcome! :welcome:

I am also a fan of Tad Williams 'Otherland' series, though I think he got a bit long-winded. His book 'War of the Flowers' was brilliant!

Have fun! This is a great forum with lots of knowledge and great folks :icon_cheesygrin: