Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Bloggin' Hard (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering whether any of you have started your own blogs? Mine has been up and running for a month and a half now and I'm pretty proud of its content, and excited about the direction it's heading.

I'm curious if you guys have found any comfort or relief in starting a blog. Also, for those of you who do not have a blog (or for those of you who are vehemently opposed to starting a blog)...what's keeping you away?

My blog is essentially a creative-writing blog: energetic and chock-full of exaggerated fictionalizations of events and experiences that have affected me. The blog is something I use when I'm not focusing on my more serious (read: literary) projects. I do my own artwork and recordings (spoken word) that I attached to my poetical entries. It's really a lot of fun. If you don't already have a blog, I highly recommend starting one.

Where do you guys stand?

Gamer_2k4

WF Veterans
I don't have a blog because I have nothing to write about. The few stories I have to tell are grand, deep, profound ones - not the sort of thing that can be condensed into a daily blog post.

squidtender

Space Lord
Patron
I'd rather spend my writing time on my WIP. And nothing against you, my dear Matt, but I find bloggs to generally be pompous, self serving drivel about someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Besides, I can't even make my own wife care about my opinions on things, why would I expect the rest of the world to? :playful:

Blogs are most definitely self-serving, squid. But, the way I see it, a blog will only serves its author if the author is able to captivate his/her audience. My blog's audience is building. As noted in my post above, I use the blog when I'm not writing my more "literary" projects. I have six or seven short stories in the bank (I'm working on a collection) and those s.s. haven't been read by many. Whereas, my blog helps me gauge my work, as well as my intended audience's feelings about certain subjects, styles, cadences, tonalities, et al. To be honest, my blog is not really a blog. I can't stand reading other people's blogs. They bore the life out me. The endless lists and pandering--it's unbearable. Squid, I think you were being humorous, but, if not, I would imagine that the world (some of the world, haha) cares about your "opinions on things." In the very least, I'm interested and intrigued with your opinion about blogs. Anyway, to each their own.

MJA

TheFuhrer02

WF Veterans
I have a blog. It's just for ramblings and random pieces and stuff. It has a rough share of readership, but nothing much. I post about 5 times a month.

Bilston Blue

WF Veterans
I've recently started a blog. I'm not particularly interested if some people think I write pompous, self-serving drivel (though I do at least know of what I write). The pomposity might come from the all-knowing tone some writers use, but there must be a balance in that tone between demonstrating knowledge to back up opinion (if opinion is what is being offered) and offering an opinion imposed as an unswerving truth. Self-serving? Mine is, definitely. It serves the need to write whilst I don't have sufficient time to devote to longer and larger projects.

I recently posted a piece on my blog about pre-revolution Romania, and managed to get a "like" from a reader in Romania. I was chuffed, ego stroked, smile on my face. Someone said that's why we write, a thought I agree with. So, yes, self-serving indeed.

Reading blogs is a different matter. I've found good and bad since I started writing mine. The worst I've come across are those which have the potential to entertain me, but whose authors can't spell or punctuate. Quite irritating (but not pompous and certainly not drivel).

squidtender

Space Lord
Patron
I've recently started a blog. I'm not particularly interested if some people think I write pompous, self-serving drivel (though I do at least know of what I write). The pomposity might come from the all-knowing tone some writers use, but there must be a balance in that tone between demonstrating knowledge to back up opinion (if opinion is what is being offered) and offering an opinion imposed as an unswerving truth. Self-serving? Mine is, definitely. It serves the need to write whilst I don't have sufficient time to devote to longer and larger projects.

I recently posted a piece on my blog about pre-revolution Romania, and managed to get a "like" from a reader in Romania. I was chuffed, ego stroked, smile on my face. Someone said that's why we write, a thought I agree with. So, yes, self-serving indeed.

Reading blogs is a different matter. I've found good and bad since I started writing mine. The worst I've come across are those which have the potential to entertain me, but whose authors can't spell or punctuate. Quite irritating (but not pompous and certainly not drivel).

Well Blue, I seem to have offended you by my post. Since this thread was why I don't start a blogg, I was merely explaining my thoughts, pertaining to myself. I meant no offense to you or any blogger. As I stated, generally I find bloggs to be this way, but that in no way means all. I hope this apology heals all so we can get back to MJA's topic:)

Tiamat

Patron
I used to keep a blog, for quite a long time, in fact. I know for certain that mine was entirely self-serving drivel. Granted, I tried to incorporate humor into a lot of my posts, and would also post informative crap on things that interested me. What I found from doing so was that I spent more time blogging than I did writing. After I came to that realization, the blog slowly dwindled to an unused website gathering dust in some distant corner of cyberspace.

Now, I write more, and rather than having to work humor or information into blogs, if I find something entertaining or interesting, I try to work it into a story instead. :)

AspiringAuthor

I see an author's website as a vehicle for the promotion of his or her works. Thus, a blog, whether encompassing the whole site or just a part of the wider site, should serve such ends as well.

That means entertaining readers. So I blog about stuff of interest to people who would read my romances and thrillers. I believe this strategy will help it SEO-wise for long-tail keywords.

vcnavega

I enjoy having a blog (actually 2 – one in Portuguese, and one in English) because I like graphic design. Sometimes when I have a block in my writing I go after the pictures of my stories, it is fun. No strings attached.

JackKnife

I will start a blog as soon as I'm sure people outside of my family will actually care about my opinions on matters or what I did that day. That may never happen. In fact, they don't even particularly care... hm.

vcnavega

Dear JackKnife,

Most of the comments I get on my blogs are from spammers. Internet is flooded with blogs, and it is hard to get someone’s attention. The only people who catch them are the ones working with SEO tools to place backlinks on them. Getting actual people to read them is as hard as getting people to read our books. As I said, I enjoy blogging just for the sake of graphic designing – it is just a hobby. I don’t blog as people usually do, like a journal. I post my short stories and some articles I write, nothing that personal.

tepelus

I have a blog (link in my siggy) that I started a few months back. It's fun, though the past month, with what has been going on with life, I haven't done much blogging. I think I am now ready to get back in the game. My blog is mostly going to be used for talking about my WIP and history of the region of which I'm writing, along with bits of my life. I'm also going to use it to show some of my photography and art. It is mostly for fun and I hope as it grows others will like it and visit often and perhaps spread the word of my blog a bit. In the near future I plan to start posting character profiles of characters in my WIP, along with my own drawings of the characters. I hope it'll help get my art muse back to work, and I need to find my writing muse, grab her by the hair, and make her stay. She's been off frolicking all summer as usual. Time to get some work done!

The Jaded

I have a blog of a sort. I use it as a repository of all the short stories I can call anything near finished. I do not post anything but fiction pieces, labeled as such. I had at one point considered linking to the work of others that I liked, but as of yet it's been almost two years and I haven't done that yet (and so I probably won't ever). It's probable that I'm the only one to look at it regularly, but it's a handy tool to tell me about when I wrote what, not to mention to try to find improvements in my work over time.

aspiretowrite

Hi MJA
I started a blog back in 2009 called View From The Gallery posting random pieces on a variety of topics. It gave me the confidence to actually write and "publish" posts that could potentially be read by anyone. It has gone through a number of transformations and I post to it when I can. It exists now as part of my "Writer's Journey" blog as a means of keeping it all under one roof. I owe my foray into writing to this blog as it greatly enriches the writing process and gives me a platform for me to just say what I want, whereas on other platforms I am restricted.

In August last year I started a blog all about crowdsourcing, Crowdsourcing Gazette UK, and it is largely separate from "Writer's Journey" as it is topic specific and posts tend to be written as news articles or features, with a few op-ed pieces thrown in for good measure. Again this has proven to be a real confidence booster but more than anything due to the popularity of the topic the blog I have been approached by individuals and companies to write pieces about their ventures so the exposure factor comes in handy. I have made some amazing friends too :) My blogs so far have been a real joy to work on, given me exposure and present a variety of challenges as a writer. I also enjoy reading other people's blogs as I find the variety of peoples thoughts and opinions to be truly mind expanding (who needs drugs?). I do stay away from any blogs however that operate on the basis, or even uses the sentence "I don't care what anyone says/thinks......".

Happy blogging :icon_cheesygrin:

patskywriter

WF Veterans
Right now I'm only using my blog as a vehicle for my monthly community paper. I send notices when it's available and people go there to read it (I first upload the paper to Scribd). And now that my radio show is available on iTunes, I'll probably start announcing each show, and if possible, provide a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.