Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

bird seed foodbank (1 Viewer)

escorial

WF Veterans
I bought 1 kg of wild bird seed instead of my usual dried mealworms with the hope that other birds apart from starlings might make an appearance...today I went out to brush the previous deposit of birdseed away because no birds seem at all interested in it but it was all frozen...so I decided maybe the seeds are to big so I put some in my coffee blender and gave it a few pulses...then I put it out and still no takers..just a magpie and starling turn up have a look around then fly off without a nibble...if I put bread out I get seagulls and mealworm just buckloads of starlings..I was hoping for a robin or a piedwagtail but nothing... considering the ground is frozen the birds in my area are pretty hard to please and I'm getting annoyed at my 1kg bag that could be with me for a long time.

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
I feed Black oiler Sunflower seeds and blocks of suet... Wrens, Bluejays, chickadees, and Nuthatches are just a few of the birds that visit my feeder ... I am not happy when a flock of starlings descend on my feeders, they clean me out...

escorial

WF Veterans
Starlings are the yobs of the bird world...it's a wonder they don't have small caps and huddies on when they turn up in gangs...whats plural for a group of starlings..T birds

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
Different birds like different foods, specially in winter. Go to the RSPB website for guidance on the requirements of "Garden" birds. A dusting of chilli powder on nuts and seeds tends to deter squirrels (birds can't taste it).

escorial

WF Veterans
Never seen a squirrel...I have dogs being walked,cats walking over the garages,seagulls,ravens,blackbirds,bus loads of starlings..few pigeons in the trees.. I'm not expecting much for me 1.7 kg bag of seed but I'm not buying anything else until it's all been eaten...

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Those black oil sunflower seeds that Fire mentioned are very popular around here and really attract. I do have to grease the poles on the feeders to keep the squirrels from getting into them. I never heard of the chili dusting method that Bloggsworth mentioned. I will have to try that.

escorial

WF Veterans
Those black oil sunflower seeds that Fire mentioned are very popular around here and really attract. I do have to grease the poles on the feeders to keep the squirrels from getting into them. I never heard of the chili dusting method that Bloggsworth mentioned. I will have to try that.
According to Richard Attenborough he says..squirrels are rats with bushy tales.. can't get me head around that..I think woodey Allen said pigeon are rats with wings..again I think it's a bit unfair...the only time I see squirrels is when I visit a grave and I'm always glad to see them..

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Have patience, escorial. It often takes a week or two before a new set of birds discover a change of food. If the starlings don't bother with the seeds that's a bonus. Leave it there and eventually the new guys on the block will turn up - build it and they will come.

I have to buy everything on the internet now (shielding) and I usually forget what I've sent for. The other day a grey postal envelope turned up and I couldn't think what it could be. Isn't that polythene tough! I eventually ripped it open and about 3 pounds of mealworms showered the living room. It took me days to get them cleaned up - they were turning up everywhere. :shock:

escorial

WF Veterans
That is so true...noticed today a robin and pigeon nibbling away...then the odd starling turns up just to annoy them...if I put mealworms out then it's mcdonald's for starlings..

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Starlings are the locusts of the bird world! If you can, put a few mealworms in a separate place from the seed so that they can get a feed without disturbing the more genteel visitors. The rough ol' boys have to eat too. ;)

escorial

WF Veterans
Sent of for a RSPB bird survey taking place at the end of the month....marking down all visitors and hopefully the odd surprise..