Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Best book title (1 Viewer)

Der_Parvenu_Meister

As I lay dying, American Psycho, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, all of those to me are very catchy.

Please dont include any tom clancys " the bear and the bla bla bla". I mean real books.

heatherlouise

So This Is Heaven, Tattoo Girl, Life In The Merde and The Silence of The Lambs are all brilliant i think for their reasons.
Heather

P

paperhanger

Gravity's Rainbow, The Perks of Being A Wallflower, Invisible Monsters, Running with Scissors.
Definitely a few of my favorite book titles.

Rahvin

The long, dark tea-time of the soul wins out for me.

Apart from Douglas Adams though, how about "The Fires of Heaven". That always sounded cool to me.

broadwayenthusiast

Fahrenheit 451

I've always thought that was a creative one since they don't mention that in the book at all. It's the temperature at which paper burns, so it's one of those things where only some people will understand.

ruksak

The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test
The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby
both by Tom Wolfe

Naked Lunch
by William Burroughs

Anyway, pretty sure this thred will run and run - you've got me thinking at least.

huntingtonb

Love is a Dog from Hell - Bukowski poems

Tales of a Fourth-grade Nothing - Judy Blume. I always thought her titles were attention-grabbing and appealing. Are you there, God? It's Me, Margaret was another good title from Blume.

Last edited:

ruksak

huntingtonb said:
Love is a Dog from Hell - Bukowski poems

Can't believe I missed that one - a truly superb title indeed. Other Bukowski title greats:

• Confessions of a Man Insane Enough to Live with Beasts
  • All the Assholes in the World and Mine
  • Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills
  • Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness
  • Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit
  • Horses Don't Bet on People and Neither Do I
You're right though, Love is a Dog from Hell is probably the best. Glad to meet another Bukowski fan here anyway.

Stewart

Well, there's many of the titles by Gabriel García Márquez, to begin with: Love In The Time Of Cholera, Chronicle Of A Death Foretold, Noone Writes To The Colonel.

Other titles that have caught my eye include:

As A Man Grows Older, Italo Svevo
To The Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
Let It Come Down, Paul Bowles
Hangover Square, Patrick Hamilton
True At First Light, Ernest Hemingway
Go Tell It On The Mountain, James Baldwin
Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
Young Hearts Crying, Richard Yates

I also like a well titled collection of short stories, such as:

Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?, Raymond Carver
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, Raymond Carver
Eleven Kinds Of Loneliness, Richard Yates
Whoever You Chose To Love, Colette Paul

Gone with the wind
It captures how so many things leave Scarlett her loves, her home, her dignity and at some points, her will to live.

Last edited:

Krim

Mona Lisa Smile = the third book in Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy, yes? I read Neuromacner, and bought MLS thinking it was a stand-alone book. I'm reading so much lately I'll probably never pick up the second.

heatherlouise

i like the name of some childrens' books also, such as Where the wild things are. I'll take you to Mrs Cole and my all time favourite, Who put ketchup on the spider? they are all kids books but the titles are good, lol.
Heather

archer88iv

I kinda like one word titles, since they seem a little more dignified (I picture a stuffy English guy with a monocle) and they are, by necessity, less common than the longer ones...

Atonement was a nice little inside joke I didn't get for a few hundred pages.

Users who are viewing this thread