Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Beginning of new chapter. (1 Viewer)

archer88iv

"I don’t know why the fuck I keep writing sometimes. The few bits that succeed are only perceived as “success” by the degree to which they stand out from the rest: from the bulk of my material, which is worthless both as prose and as story. I come to a place like this and grow disgusted by the way I find myself incapable of continuing. There is nothing I can do to escape the swirl of this vortex; this is a downward spiral that I will follow to my doom. My doom is to drown beneath the weight of an insurmountable sea, and I have only my own foolish pride to blame. Whoever told me I could succeed has damned me to this. All of them. And there have been more than I really rated, too. Why anyone got the idea I was anything more than what I am, I cannot say. Even this paragraph disappoints me, leaves me with a foul taste in my mouth. I feel only pain as I read it and think on everything that’s wrong with it. This is the best I can conjure. I should just give up and slink off into the darkness and forget about all of these dreams and hope that all those I burdened with them forget, too."

...I've been staring at this stupid screen all evening long and that's all I have to show for it. Probably all I *need* to have to show for it. Not entirely sure how it relates to the plot.

Whatever. Fuck it.

Darkhorse

Keep at it at buddy. What you write now may look like unrefined garbage. But, when you have finished your 1st draft and you come back to the unrefined garbage, you will be able to look at it with fresh eyes. And, with fresh eyes, you will notice some stuff that is worth salvaging. And, having finished your 1st draft, you will have developed your skills and have a new understanding of your work. Consequently, rewriting this unrefined garbage - that has some salvageable scrap - into something that resembles art won't be so difficult.

Just keep writing. That's all there is to it. But, if the problem is staring at the blank screen: well, there are other solutions to this, but that is another post.