Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Beginning, Middle or End? Which is hardest for you as a writer. (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonTheWriter

Just thought this would be a fun topic to discuss. I used to think the beginning was hardest but after writing for a couple of weeks I now don't feel that way anymore. The beginning is definitely hard but usually after the first couple of sentences I find it easy to get in to a rhythm. The ending is usually not so bad because when I decide on an idea I usually always have an idea of how it will end, writing it well is another story though.

I think the middle is the hardest. You have to keep the reader entertained whilst filling out your story. Sometimes I get stuck thinking how to best take the story to reach my desired ending. Many times I will be stuck in the middle with plenty of ideas but struggling which way to go forward.

Love to hear your thoughts.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
Just thought this would be a fun topic to discuss. I used to think the beginning was hardest but after writing for a couple of weeks I now don't feel that way anymore. The beginning is definitely hard but usually after the first couple of sentences I find it easy to get in to a rhythm. The ending is usually not so bad because when I decide on an idea I usually always have an idea of how it will end, writing it well is another story though.

I think the middle is the hardest. You have to keep the reader entertained whilst filling out your story. Sometimes I get stuck thinking how to best take the story to reach my desired ending. Many times I will be stuck in the middle with plenty of ideas but struggling which way to go forward.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Perfectly stated. The beginning is easy for me. I've already had the idea for it or there wouldn't be one. ;-) In plotting from A to Z, B to Y is the hard part.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
I like to populate my stories with several characters who move in and out of the action. I would have to say that the middle is the most challenging, making sure everything is syncing and no one is tripping over another's time line. The beginning is the easiest. The ending not as easy as the beginning, but definitely not as hard as the middle. Interesting question! :)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Beginnings are fun, it feels like everything is coming together and galloping out of the gate is fantastic. Unless, of course, it's not. Then beginnings can be a slog through heavy mud.

Middles sag and in long works I often become a casualty of the Saggy Middle (not one word all you...you...you know who you are!). It's easy to give it up trying to flounder through that.

Endings have always been difficult because they're so seldom convincingly The End. (Especially for very short work)

I did watch a pretty good video that made me think of the Saggy Middle differently, though. I had been thinking of the book structure like this:

Grass jungle bridge.jpg

I want to try to focus on the smaller arcs and episodic or short-story kind of pieces that make up the whole, supporting the middle better.

image_2021-01-10_225128.jpg

The video is The Story Corpse with Victoria Schwab.

BrandonTheWriter

Great responses guys. Seems everyone shares the same view on the Middle, which does make sense. It is the meat of the story. A part of me was expecting to see more people saying the Ending. You can have the most amazing middle but then totally ruin it all at the end. That alone makes it scary and intimidating for sure.

I know I remember the ending a lot and it can sometimes change how I view a book/movie etc.

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
Beginning, definitely. I have to find my groove. It takes about a chapter or two before it'll take off on it's own.

The vast majority of my errors are in the first and second chapters of a book.

Fiender

It's usually the middle for me, too. It's not necessarily the area that needs the most revision (that's usually beginnings for me), but gosh it's often hard to connect dots and keep things going, and steer the ship to something resembling the destination I have in mind.

ironpony

I would say the middle as well because once you have your beginning and end, you have different ways of getting there and it's hard to know which one to pick as the best way.

The middle. For me what tends to be difficult sometimes is the immediate "what now?"

I'm a planner rather than a pantser, so before I even write the first word of the manuscript I often have 50+ pages of notes, character bios, and outlines. Thus, the overarching story is already practically finished. What can be difficult, though, is "what does character A do right now?" "I know character A has to do event 1 and then event 2, but how do I get them from event 1 to event 2?"

This may be a symptom of my overplanning - if I were just going by the seat of my pants, then events 1 and 2 would just come naturally rather than be these touchstones I have to get to.

BrandonTheWriter

The middle. For me what tends to be difficult sometimes is the immediate "what now?"

I'm a planner rather than a pantser, so before I even write the first word of the manuscript I often have 50+ pages of notes, character bios, and outlines. Thus, the overarching story is already practically finished. What can be difficult, though, is "what does character A do right now?" "I know character A has to do event 1 and then event 2, but how do I get them from event 1 to event 2?"

This may be a symptom of my overplanning - if I were just going by the seat of my pants, then events 1 and 2 would just come naturally rather than be these touchstones I have to get to.

That is a reason why I don't overplan. I usually have a baseline for the story and main characters, but I tend to decide the side characters and other side plots as I'm writing.

I do think planning has it's benefits, and probably works for some people. For me, planning myself in to a corner and then not liking it as I write would probably make it harder for me.

That is a reason why I don't overplan. I usually have a baseline for the story and main characters, but I tend to decide the side characters and other side plots as I'm writing.

I do think planning has it's benefits, and probably works for some people. For me, planning myself in to a corner and then not liking it as I write would probably make it harder for me.

I think my problem is that it's the planning part that I enjoy the most - coming up with the ideas and trying to fit them all together. The actual sitting down and writing part...that can be a chore for me.

Cephus

I think my problem is that it's the planning part that I enjoy the most - coming up with the ideas and trying to fit them all together. The actual sitting down and writing part...that can be a chore for me.

It's never a chore for me, it's just filling in the prose. I already wrote the story in the planning stages, all of the enjoyment is front-loaded. I just have to get it written.

BrandonTheWriter

Writing shouldn't feel like a chore, buddy. When I'm in the groove and writing, it feels great. I think there's a problem there if you are hating the prospect of writing.

Try to think of it as a hobby. That worked for me, I don't put pressure on myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.