Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Begging letter 433 words (1 Viewer)

qwertyman

WF Veterans
I wrote this as a character exercise for the MC before I started writing in earnest. Having finished the novel and re-read the letter, it's the same bloke. For non-Brits, Wormwood Scrubs is a prison.

Wormwood Scrubs
Scrubs Lane
Shepherd’s Bush London April.22[SUP]nd[/SUP]. 1993

Dear Clive
You may be surprised to get a letter out of the blue like this…. I only get to send one letter a week so you can imagine it’s pretty important. You can tell from the letterhead that I got a spot of bother to deal with, that’s no sweat; I can do that standing on somebody else’s head as they say in here.

I know what people are saying but the Elephant and Castle betting scam was a fit-up. It’s one thing to scam a bookie but another if the bookie is your father-in-law…it’s not my style. It didn’t happen. By the way I was a little hurt that you didn’t turn up for the wedding. Funny, but I have heard from a few people that their invitations went astray, maybe yours was in the same batch. I’ve heard that happens a lot.

The reason I am writing is this, before the trial I was trying to get a little dosh together and I dropped nearly seven grand in a poker game at the Welshman’s gaff. The trouble is I lost it to Phil Baxter. Who, it seems, is not only well represented in the Scrubs but is well represented in my cell. I have until Friday to repay the debt. I know this because ‘Claw Hammer’ Henry told me. Do you remember him? He was mixed up in that crucifixion business at Dirty Mary’s.

If I tell you that wages in here are £1.40 a week, I think you can guess where this is going. I need to get seven grand round to Phil Baxter’s by midnight Friday. - I know you’ll think I’ve got a nerve to ask after the fire. But I think we’ve all moved on since then.

About your niece, I swear I never knew. Well we’d all heard rumours but if I’d known the half of it - on my sainted Mother’s grave I would
never have touched her have steered well clear.

On the plus side remember I telephoned that Spanish Builder for you and put the shits up him, no reward asked it was a favour. People do each other favours in this life Clive. – So - it sort of balances out. Like, don’t worry about a wedding gift, I’m not expecting dick. You know you’ll get it back - I’ll work it off like I did in the old days. Or something else if you know what I'm saying, whatever you want… God be with you. I pray for you.

Regards to the Family………………… Pete.

PS.
Remember Friday midnight, tens and twenties, used notes.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Great little character sketch. I feel I know not only Clive but all his unsavoury cronies too. I especially like the sound of Claw Hammer Henry - I hope he featured in your novel. Good luck with getting it published, keep us up to date with its progress.

Users who are viewing this thread